“My Favorite Place in the Mendocino Area”

Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens
Ranked #1 of 39 things to do in Fort Bragg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens offers everything from colorful displays to thunderous waves. The mild maritime climate makes it a garden for all seasons, attracting gardeners and nature lovers. With manicured formal gardens, a dense coastal pine forest, native flora and habitats, fern-covered canyons, camellias, rhododendrons, magnolias and conifers, heaths and heathers, and flower-filled coastal bluffs overlooking the blue ocean, the garden is a jewel on the Pacific Coast. Open daily except the Saturday after Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. March-October 9am-5pm, November-February 9am-4pm. Rhody's Cafe, located in the Gardens, serves fresh, locally made lunches, coffee drinks, desserts, and Cowlicks'Hand Made Ice Cream. Picnic lunches are available. Open April-September, 11am-4pm. The Garden Store and Nursery on the Plaza are open daily. There is no admission charge to visit the Store, Nursery, or Cafe. ~Our mission is to engage and enrich lives by displaying and conserving plants in harmony with our Northern California coastal ecosystems.~
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Los Angeles, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“My Favorite Place in the Mendocino Area”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Botanical Gardens are not to be missed. I am not a "green thumb" person by any means. If there weren't identifying signs all over the place, I would not be able to name much of anything. But this is truly a wonderland for walking, reading, meditating, exploring, picnickng. Any place that allows dogs on top of that is tops with me. Make sure you walk all the way to the ocean, where there are benches to wile away the time. (Imagine these are great vantage points for whale watching in season). The vegetable gardens and family graveyard are stops I always make. The dahlias were in bloom and I can only say: beautiful! There is a gift shop with lovely, affordable items to take home. My only disappointment is the recent 40% entrance fee hike. I visited in February, and it was $10. It is now $14 and when I questioned the exorbitant increase, I was told they want to be able to keep the Gardens open. This is distressing on top of distressing. Also makes me wonder why, when I called to inquire about dedicating a bench, no one bothered to return my call. Seems terribly lax if the Gardens is looking to increase revenue!

Issaquah, WA.
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Great botanical gardens and right on the ocean”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The four of us truly enjoyed walking through all of the trails in these gardens. Go clear down to the ocean. This botanical gardens is well worth ones time. I understand it is the only botanical gardens in America on the ocean. Too bad we were on motorcycles, as I certainly would have purchased some plants.

Los Angeles
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“47 acres of sheer delight. The best gardens we've been to”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Not the best flowers (Bouchard), not the best trees and shrubs (Kew), not the best ferns and lichens (several), nor the best vegetable garden, but #2 in every respect which makes this, by far, the best of the overall garden we've been to. The variety is wonderful; just about anything will grow on the foggy, cold coast including a good selection of cactii and succulents (2nd to the Huntington).

Fort Worth, Tx
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Amazing garden-Not to be missed”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This isa beautiful expansive botanical garden with many aspects. This was my second visit and I highly recommend it to any garden lover or general traveler to the area--you will not be disappointed. During my August visit there were beautiful and multiple varieties of fushias in bloom. The dahlia garden was nothing short of spectacular--huge dahlias with blooms the size of grapefruits of every color. In additon to these flower gardens there is a woodlands garden and a lovely walk along the ocean with magnificent views of the rocky north coast. Defintely should be a stop for anyone visiting the Mendocino area.

Santa Clara, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Something for everyone!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Modern sculpture, tailored flower beds, pine forest, rugged coast! You are greeted in the parking lot by a lovely lily pond, then walk into the gift shop to pay your admission. Follow the trail through all kinds of gardens and marvel at the hand-crafted deer gate. Every type of flower seems to be featured and scattered throughout are sculptures. Try to come during rhododendron season (we missed it) as there are many, many shrubs which must be beautiful in season. But other things were in bloom, including heathers and dahlias. Then walk through the pine forest out to the sea! What a beautiful shoreline! The Botanical Garden is a real California treasure.

Visited July 2011