“Great food - Awesome tequila list - Bring cash”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Purple Rose

Purple Rose
Ranked #48 of 85 Restaurants in Fort Bragg
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
oregon
“Great food - Awesome tequila list - Bring cash”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

We arrived at the height of the dinner hour on Friday night and were lucky to be seated immediately in the last open table. The place was filled with locals and seemed very family friendly. We promptly had a bowl of home-made tortilla chips and two bowls of salsa - one red and one green. Both were delicious, but the green was hotter.

Instead of a wine list, they had a tequila list. There were about 30 different tequilas, grouped into three categories: anejo, gold, and silver. I suppose if you know a lot about tequila this will have meaning to you. I do not, so I just ordered the "house" margarita. It certainly tasted good to me and I assure you it had a generous portion of tequila. The house margarita was $5 and the specialty tequilas were $6-$10.

I loved the food and so did my wife. I had the chile verde enchiladas and she had a combo plate with a chicken enchilada and chile relleno. Both entrees were less than $10. We were both full after dinner, but there were no leftovers.

The surprise of the night came after the server gave me the check, I whipped out my visa card, and she informed me that the establishment does not accept credit cards for payment. Fortunately I had ample cash with me to pay the bill, so no problem. But I think they should post a prominent notice at the entrance and on the menu to save any embarrassment to a customer. A "no credit card" policy for a US restaurant is not very common.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank chuckbrad

Hanoi, Vietnam
“Good Food along a great road”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

The Purple Rose seems to be a local family operated place with big smiles, good portions and a good room full of families and friends. Mexican food well-prepared, no frills and no pretense.
there are not many choices from Fort Bragg North. try it.

• Visited July 2011
fort bragg
“Horrible service, mediocre food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We came in with a group of eight people, including two children. Waitress was extremely rude, seemed put out when someone in our group asked for simple substitution. Half of the food was brought out and the other half had to wait almost ten minutes for their food. The children's food was brought last, the waitress made a very rude comment about how we would be required to share our food with the children while we waited for their meals to be completed. Waitress would not refill our soft drinks, food was mediocre at best. After we finished our meal and returned home, We telephoned the restaurant to speak with the manager. The person who answered the phone, who refused to stater her name, but sounded very much like our waitress, refused to let us speak with the manager. We then decided the management needed to know about their employee and how she treats employees. We therefore decided to write a letter and send it to the restaurant. A short time later, someone at the restaurant wrote us back, they did not apologize for the actions of the waitress, and chastised us for complaining. We will never return to this restaurant, anytime someone asks us where to go for Mexican, we advise them to stay away from the Purple Rose. I strongly recommend people steer clear of this place.

3 Thank hungryinFB
woofnmew2
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Viva the Purple Rose”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

As one of the local yokels, I enjoy the sights, sounds and myriad places to eat on The Mendocino Coast, but not the prices. The Purple Rose is not only affordable but the food is excellent, with ample portions, and their margaritas are beyond amazing - the best I've had anywhere in CA. There are a few spots in the Fort Bragg area where the tamales are closer to those made in Mexico, but they lack the ambiance, and the margaritas. Go hungry...you'll get a whole lotta bang for your buck at the Purple Rose.

1 Thank woofnmew2
California
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

The perfect Mexican restaurant for its location. Good food and service and great prices. People start lining up 10 minutes before the doors open and for good reason, it fills up in a hurry.
It's a place we look forward to every year on our trips to Fort Bragg