“Great place! Right on the ocean.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surf and Sand Lodge

Surf and Sand Lodge
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Chicago, Illinois
“Great place! Right on the ocean.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I loved my two nights and Surf and Sand. It's right at the southern edge of MacKerricher State Park and you are just a few steps away from being on the cliffs. There's a nice walkway that goes up into the state park that is right outside the rooms. The room I had, on the second floor, was very roomy, comfortable bed and pillow, and the balcony was great for looking out at the ocean, although the motel is set back some from the ocean. Everything was clean ... and nice to have a mini-fridge. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Good place to stay if you want to be close to the ocean, especially if you want to take long walks along a beautiful stretch of the North Coast. I have pictures of the whole area, if interested, at Picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan. Click on the California North Coast album.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

I stayed here last week, and I was very satisfied with my selection. The place is much newer than it's neighboring establishments, and the private patios/balconies are really much more private and larger than the neighboring motels. I had a downstairs room, and I could see and hear the beach just fine. You are literally 10 feet from the state beach area, I could walk from my room to the bluffs over looking the beach, and had the weather not been atrocious, I'm sure I would have seen some lovely sunsets. The rooms are in small house-like units, which means you can hear your neighbors running around upstairs, or the maid service...and the mattress left much to be desired. While the off season rate was very agreeable, the regular rates are a little high. Overall, I was very pleased, with the view, the room, and the addition of a fridge AND coffee maker made it just grand. I will be staying here again, most definitely. Also, you can walk to downtown Fort Bragg via the trestle bridge, which is very nice should you want to visit the North Coast Brewing Co Tap Room :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

The best deal I ever paid for a spacious clean ocean view room! 5 minute walk down to the beach and right on a trail that goes into town and over the walking bridge. The room has a nice little patio too with chairs so that you can enjoy the view and beautiful sunset.

I will visit again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Hayward, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

I was referred to this place by my brother who is a frequent visitor to the area. I checked them out online and found them to be suitable for a quick weekend get-away from the SF Bay area. We stayed in the King room with 2 person whirlpool tub (only one in the place) and killer view. Well, honestly about 70% of rooms have a great view. The hotel is built such that there are a number of separate home-like buildings with each containing 5 rooms if like the one we were in. Each building is keyed differently you can only get into your own. Our room was on the second floor of the Sunset building and we had a private balcony; as is for all 2nd floor rooms. 1st floor rooms have private patios accessible by sliding glass doors. The hotel itself is set back from the cliffs of the rugged coastline and adjacent to the "Old Haul Road" trail that runs north and south for many a mile. There are a couple beaches in short walking distance, if you can navigate your way down some of the precarious trails to them. Some of them have large areas that support lots of different sea-life. We saw lots of star fish, sea anemone even small crabs and fish. Lake Cleone and Ten Mile Dunes is also a nice walk a few miles from the hotel. A very short walk south is the Pudding Creek Beach and old trestle bridge which is also part of the Old Haul Rd and free to walk across.

This place is a quite setting and is pretty much a room and a view. Not much else. If you seek frills, best look elsewhere. Room was pretty standard. Small tube TV, VCR and coffee maker. The room did have a small refrigerator, which I didn’t ask for, but was a blessed surprise. It came in handy for our 2 night stay. The price per night was reasonable at just under $200/night in July.

I would recommend this hotel because it was clean; the staff was friendly and was a good value. If you want a peaceful place to relax, watch a great sunset, use a hub for outdoor activities than this is your place. For those seeking high style, fancy accommodations/amenities you won’t find that here. We liked it so much that I am sure we'll become regulars here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
REDWOOD CITY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

Having been coming to this area for 25 years ,occassionally we try a new hotel just to see what they are like and what they offer.
This hotel has a great location . You can sit on your balcony and watch the parade of locals walking back and forth throughout the day. Most will nod and say hello.
As for the room , it is on the small side(402) but thats what we wanted. They have bigger rooms available.
The room was clean as was the bathroom.Towels were soft and they stocked enough for bathing twice if you chose to do so.
Coffee supplied is a major brand and the quality is good.
Wi fi is not available . The tv and vcr are old ,old,old . They need some serious updating.
The price is ok but you can do just as good or better at other hotels in that area and get more amenities than this business offers.
We have a regular place we usually go to so I do not forsee going back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed at the Surf and Sand over the MLK weekend. We were looking for an affordable, oceanside room close to town. The room was fine, very clean and comfortable. This is not a fancy hotel, but it was wonderful for a weekend stay. It was quiet, and the balconies are private.

Even though the motel is on Hwy 1, there is no traffic noise in the room, since the sliding door faces the ocean. I kept my door open all night so I could hear the waves! The motel is perched above some bluffs, and many paths lead down to a sandy beach with rock outcrops. The beach was quiet and very few people were using it, even on the holiday weekend with sunny, warm weather.

I would recommend getting a 2nd floor room for the better view.

The motel has a VCR in the room, with an eclectic assortment of free movies in the office. The Old Haul Road makes for an easy walk into town, or down the coast to other beaches.

We enjoyed dining at North Coast Brewing Company, and walked to a few bars in downtown. The organic breakfast at Cafe 1 was huge and delicious.

I would happily book another stay at the Surf and Sand.

• Liked — Truly an oceanside motel, reasonable price
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

I booked a 2 Queens first floor room for myself and my elderly mother and was most pleased. The room was very spacious and met our needs nicely. We put one of the comfy chairs at one end with a lamp so she could read, while I was at the opposite end with my laptop on the table. We each felt as if we had a little "private" space which is a nice feature if you aren't used to sharing a room with someone other than a spouse!

(Speaking of laptops, the Surf and Sand doesn't have WI-FI, but the neighboring hotel does so there was no problem getting on the internet.)

The small deck was nice and access to the path along the bluffs was perfect. (Get a second floor room if you want the best view.)

The vanity is in the room. While the tub/toilet room was spacious enough, it would be nice to have a small shelf and some hooks on the wall for clothes/robes.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay.

P.S....if you have room, stop at Roundman's Meats on Main St and take home some of their wonderful bacon, jerky or other meats!

• Liked — Spacious room and proximity to the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Beach House Inn
Beach House Inn
#10 of 22 in Fort Bragg
4.0 of 5 stars 179 reviews

Been to Surf and Sand Lodge? Share your experiences!