“we LOVED it! Won't stay anywhere else from now on!”
Review of Surf & Sand Lodge

Surf & Sand Lodge
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed July 30, 2006

We stayed two nights at the Surf and Sand Lodge in July. It was such a pleasant experience! The housekeeping staff took care to do the little extras that we really appreciate. One example is that we left a note asking for an extra pillow and a couple of extra laundry bags. They left us 3 extra pillows and 4 laundry bags. They seem to go just the extra distance to make it a pleasant stay.

The view is awesome, right out our door was a short path to the beach. The beach was really nice and private. We had 2 kids with us and had most of the beach to ourselves on a Saturday afternoon!

All things considered, this was such a good experience, I don't think we'll stay anywhere else when we go to Ft. Bragg.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank tjduvall
There are newer reviews for Surf & Sand Lodge

Chico,Ca
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We go to the Fort Bragg area twice a year. This was our first time to stay at the Surf & Sand.....great choice, you can sit and look out at the ocean from your room or balcony(with steps right to a bike, walking path). The beach is just a 3 minute walk through a pasture from your room.....very nice! The staff were very friendly and helpful!

Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed April 13, 2006

My husband and I love the Surf and Sand in Ft. Bragg. We generally stay there 2 times per year for the last 8 years. The rooms are simple but very comfortable, with bath/shower combo that is always sparkling clean. The refrigerator is nice for storing all our "goodies" we collect throughout the trip.
Not much to do in Ft. Bragg after sunset so the TV/VCR is nice (the motel has tapes you can rent in the lobby).
The rooms have a fantastic view of the crashing waves with direct access to the beach and a bike/walking path. We love to watch the sunset from the patio or even from our little table in our room. The room rates are very reasonable for a motel right on the ocean in California!
Ft. Bragg has a lovely little downtown with shopping and restaurants. Don't miss taking a ride on the Skunk Train.
We love to drive down the coast (20 minutes) to Mendocino for some lunch and shopping, making sure to stop at all the lovely beaches and HWY 1 ocean views.
We would never consider staying anywhere else but the Surf and Sand when visiting the Northern Coast!

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank SUUSEQ
Reviewed April 4, 2005

This is a surprisingly nice place. I say "surprisingly" because it is located on the main street of town. But once you get inside it is a world away from the busy street out front. The back ocean views are excellent. (The front parking lot view is not.) Room was spacious and clean. There is a nice bike path just behind the building, which is great for biking or walking.
Very nice location for walking on the beach. Also only 10 minutes from horse back riding on the beach if you want to try that.
Pete

• Stayed: March 2005
16  Thank Pete B
Caroline Elk Grove, CA John Reno, NV
Reviewed March 21, 2005

We have Stayed here,. Three differance Times.February 2004 for A week and then in May 2004 for a weekend. Then Back in February 2005 for long 16 Days Stay, and it couldn't have been any Better,. The room was Excellent and the staff was Excellent to, if we needed anything it was not a problem. We stay in the same room Each time.We would sit on the balcony and feed the seagull and birds, and watch The Ocean. the view was Fantastic and The sunsets are Fabulous., the weather was changing all the time. we would took long walks, and sometimes in the rain. We would recommend Surf and Sand Lodge To anyone. Caroline & John

Anchorage ,Alaska
Reviewed January 5, 2005

I am a local of the Fort Bragg Mendocino area. I have not lived in the area for several years now , but was in town on a visit and chose to stay at the surf and sand lodge. I needless to say was very unhappy with my experience. I found a used condom under the bed, and cut my foot on the exposed tack stripping on the carpeting where it was worn away.
I brought it to the attention of the front desk and was told that I would be compensated by recieving a room voucher for my trouble in the mail. A voucher in the mail that never came. When i called to ask about the situation to settle the matter I was told that they called the matter even on their end due to the fact that I had my dog in my car in the parking lot. I was confused as to why at the time of the situation they felt like I indeed deserved compensation for my trouble with the room in which I payed for, but now they decided that I did not deserve any compensation, because I had a dog in the car for the night, who did not bark once. I informed her that i was botherd by how they dealt wiht the situation and that I would be making a report to the better biusness board, she then told me that if I did that she would charge my account an additional $200.
I then informed her it was my right as a tax payer to do just that, and I felt like her threat was similer to blackmail, "if you call I will make you pay $200" I just dont want this to happen to any other visitors to Fort Bragg or Mendocino I think it is such a beutifull area that every one should visit, but just dont stay at the surf and sand.

60  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed July 29, 2004

We stayed there 2 nights in July and thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed in a Jr Suite. It was large, clean, comfortable, with the balcony looking to the ocean. Very restful and comfortable. And the staff were very pleasant and helpful! We will definitely stay there again.