“Blissful weekend get-away spot”
Review of Surf & Sand Lodge

Surf & Sand Lodge
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I was referred to this place by my brother who is a frequent visitor to the area. I checked them out online and found them to be suitable for a quick weekend get-away from the SF Bay area. We stayed in the King room with 2 person whirlpool tub (only one in the place) and killer view. Well, honestly about 70% of rooms have a great view. The hotel is built such that there are a number of separate home-like buildings with each containing 5 rooms if like the one we were in. Each building is keyed differently you can only get into your own. Our room was on the second floor of the Sunset building and we had a private balcony; as is for all 2nd floor rooms. 1st floor rooms have private patios accessible by sliding glass doors. The hotel itself is set back from the cliffs of the rugged coastline and adjacent to the "Old Haul Road" trail that runs north and south for many a mile. There are a couple beaches in short walking distance, if you can navigate your way down some of the precarious trails to them. Some of them have large areas that support lots of different sea-life. We saw lots of star fish, sea anemone even small crabs and fish. Lake Cleone and Ten Mile Dunes is also a nice walk a few miles from the hotel. A very short walk south is the Pudding Creek Beach and old trestle bridge which is also part of the Old Haul Rd and free to walk across.

This place is a quite setting and is pretty much a room and a view. Not much else. If you seek frills, best look elsewhere. Room was pretty standard. Small tube TV, VCR and coffee maker. The room did have a small refrigerator, which I didn’t ask for, but was a blessed surprise. It came in handy for our 2 night stay. The price per night was reasonable at just under $200/night in July.

I would recommend this hotel because it was clean; the staff was friendly and was a good value. If you want a peaceful place to relax, watch a great sunset, use a hub for outdoor activities than this is your place. For those seeking high style, fancy accommodations/amenities you won’t find that here. We liked it so much that I am sure we'll become regulars here.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 13, 2009

Having been coming to this area for 25 years ,occassionally we try a new hotel just to see what they are like and what they offer.
This hotel has a great location . You can sit on your balcony and watch the parade of locals walking back and forth throughout the day. Most will nod and say hello.
As for the room , it is on the small side(402) but thats what we wanted. They have bigger rooms available.
The room was clean as was the bathroom.Towels were soft and they stocked enough for bathing twice if you chose to do so.
Coffee supplied is a major brand and the quality is good.
Wi fi is not available . The tv and vcr are old ,old,old . They need some serious updating.
The price is ok but you can do just as good or better at other hotels in that area and get more amenities than this business offers.
We have a regular place we usually go to so I do not forsee going back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed at the Surf and Sand over the MLK weekend. We were looking for an affordable, oceanside room close to town. The room was fine, very clean and comfortable. This is not a fancy hotel, but it was wonderful for a weekend stay. It was quiet, and the balconies are private.

Even though the motel is on Hwy 1, there is no traffic noise in the room, since the sliding door faces the ocean. I kept my door open all night so I could hear the waves! The motel is perched above some bluffs, and many paths lead down to a sandy beach with rock outcrops. The beach was quiet and very few people were using it, even on the holiday weekend with sunny, warm weather.

I would recommend getting a 2nd floor room for the better view.

The motel has a VCR in the room, with an eclectic assortment of free movies in the office. The Old Haul Road makes for an easy walk into town, or down the coast to other beaches.

We enjoyed dining at North Coast Brewing Company, and walked to a few bars in downtown. The organic breakfast at Cafe 1 was huge and delicious.

I would happily book another stay at the Surf and Sand.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2008

I booked a 2 Queens first floor room for myself and my elderly mother and was most pleased. The room was very spacious and met our needs nicely. We put one of the comfy chairs at one end with a lamp so she could read, while I was at the opposite end with my laptop on the table. We each felt as if we had a little "private" space which is a nice feature if you aren't used to sharing a room with someone other than a spouse!

(Speaking of laptops, the Surf and Sand doesn't have WI-FI, but the neighboring hotel does so there was no problem getting on the internet.)

The small deck was nice and access to the path along the bluffs was perfect. (Get a second floor room if you want the best view.)

The vanity is in the room. While the tub/toilet room was spacious enough, it would be nice to have a small shelf and some hooks on the wall for clothes/robes.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay.

P.S....if you have room, stop at Roundman's Meats on Main St and take home some of their wonderful bacon, jerky or other meats!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank cobble
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We've been to the Surf & Sand Motel a few times now, with our sweet and grand kids and then just the two of us. We really enjoy it there, would highly encourage anyone with or without kids to stay there. The staff are very nice, the view is outstanding and the walk to the beach is just beautiful at night. The sunsets are breathtaking from the balcony. It's the best motel we've stayed in at Ft. Bragg. The Smith Family

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LuvHockey8
Reviewed July 6, 2008

we stayed at the second story king size tub in room with fireplace it was gorgeous and quiet and peaceful.
You wake up in the morning and look out hear the seagulls, the waves pour some coffee and sit in your tub enjoying the ambiance it pays to get the second story and pamper yourself.....

• Stayed: October 2003, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wmndevildog
Reviewed April 13, 2008

I found this place on Trip Advisor and I am so glad that I did! I did alot of research and found that this place was the best looking place to stay at. I am a leary traveler as you can see by my screen name and I could not have been any more PLEASED with this hotel!! It is beautiful! It has great parking first of all. The thing I liked the most was the fact that the rooms were inside of a house like structure that had a locked door. You opened that door, and it looked like a home with stairs and rooms and you went to your room and unlocked your door to your private room. It to me felt VERY safe. The view was EXCELLENT!!!! The beach is only yards away on a short walk through a meadow. You do have to climb down and up the bluffs which might be hard for older people. But it was a great little beach that was right there. The rooms were VERY clean and the beds were comfortable too. I heard that the beds might be hard. Now if you sleep on a theraputic type bed you will feel these beds are a little bit hard. But I sleep on a pillow top and found these beds to be extremely comfortable. The pictures of the room dont do it justice. It is a good sized room and again VERY clean! I love the private balcony too. The only thing that I can say that is somewhat bad about this place is the front desk staff doesnt know ANYTHING and they dont seem like they are really there to help you. We asked about a good place to get some steamers and the person at the front desk had no idea. It is like, umm.. do you LIVE here? Anyway...they just didnt seem really willing to help.

Now for eating!!! The first night we got there we were looking for a good place to eat. Silvers at the Wharf was suggested. Some people just call it "The Wharf". DO NOT EAT HERE!! It was HORRIBLE!! They plate prices were outrageous. The food was bland, and the service was TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE!!! They wanted to herd you in and herd you out. They never came to the table to ask us if we needed anything after we got our plates. Only to see if we were done so they could clean off the table and get more people seated. We also ate at the Homestyle Cafe for breakfast the next morning. Good food, but again HORRIBLE service. I really was starting to wonder about the service in Fort Bragg until we ran across SHARONS BY THE SEA. THIS PLACE WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are looking for steamers they have the best in town. The service was outstanding, the food was so good all I could hear at our table through the entire meal was, MMMM, oh god this is so good, Mmmm!! Oh yumm!!! I am serious. The flavor of the food was so good you didnt want to stop eating! DONT BE FOOLED BY THE LOOK OF THE OUTSIDE OF THE PLACE!!! It is really good eating!!!

So all in all we had a great trip to Fort Bragg. I would without a doubt stay at the Surf and Sand Lodge over and over and over again every time I come here, and I would eat at Sharons by the Sea for lunch and dinner!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family