“lovely place right on the beach”
Review of Surf & Sand Lodge

Surf & Sand Lodge
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Wake Forest
“lovely place right on the beach”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Fantastic condo-type motel right on the beach, north side of fort bragg. Great location, you can just walk down to the beach or walk across the little bridge past the adjacent motel and then onto the beach. Beautiful views no matter which way you go. We got a newly renovated room for a very reasonable rate. New flat screen HDTV to watch the game that night! Small rooms but efficient layout with all the amenities micro/fridge, coffeemaker etc) and a nice new VERY comfortable bed. Could not ask for better. Parking lot a little crowded due to it's layout with the condos. Would highly recommend this place and would LOVE to come back & stay longer!

Room Tip: we were on the back side (no ocean view) which is probably why it was cheaper. Not a problem though...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, General Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our property! We will share all your feedback with our staff. We look forward to your next visit and hope to be your go to destination whenever you visit the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at hotel at 2 pm and was told check in is a 3. We waited till 345 before they gave us our room. Bottom floor no view above pool. I went back to the desk and asked for a Better view and they said I would have to wait about another hr. we waited and it was worth the wait. Amazing view of the ocean and the cliffs. Beach was nice. The restaurant was ok. Wouldn't go again. Walked to a restaurant down the st for dinner which had great food, recommended by there concierge.

• Stayed April 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to do a review on our property. I have to ask if you wrote it on the correct property, we don't have a pool on property. We are only 31 units, we do have breathtaking views of the ocean. I am glad you had a great visit to Fort Bragg. We would welcome you again with open arms on your next visit.
Dwight, Illinois
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This property has been recently remodeled, very comfortable beds, nice tolietries, flat screen mounted on the wall, frig and microwave, but alas no hair dryer which I found odd. Another thing is it is very dark there at night, which is understandable because the view out the sliding doors is pitch black because of the ocean right there, but I woke up in the night and literally could not see a thing. I had to find my cell phone, hard to do in the dark and feel my way to the bathroom. If I stay there again, I will bring a night light... I wasn't too happy about the sink area being right out in the room exposed to all, maybe a small complaint, but it wasn't very private. Very nice bath area and very large though. Everything was very clean and the view from the private balcony was to die for especially if you are on the second floor which we were. Which leads to my biggest complaint. The patio door did not lock, also the screen door didn't lock. It had the lock mechanism on the door itself, but there was no place for it to attach on the door frame. Clearly the carpenters must have forgotten to include this. It was a shame because we wanted to leave the screen door ajar to hear the ocean at night and also to clear out the warm air in the room (no a/c that I could find). This was not possible. Maybe a small complaint, because the view of the ocean was so beautiful! I would stay there definitely if in the area again, but I hope they check the rooms to see about the patio doors and locks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I will let maintenance know about the lock on the sliding glass doors and screens. We hope to see you again in the near future!
San Ramon, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place has much to recommend it. The rooms are very recently remodeled so they are clean, odor free and modern looking. The beds are comfortable and the little microwave was small but mighty. Toiletries were nice as well. Room had a small balcony from where one could see the ocean. Dogs are accepted for $20 extra per night. The beach is just a short walk away which is a big plus and there is a walking path right behind the motel with nice views. The motel is owned and run by the Beachcomber next door and this is probably the only downside. The office at Surf and Sand has limited hours. If you want the free breakfast which is quite nice you need to walk to the Beachcomber next door. Oddly the Beachcomber office doesn't allow dogs in the lobby where breakfast is served but one is not supposed to leave dogs in the room. This was frustrating.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have a better view and and are less likely to be disturbed by people passing on t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Salida
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The room was lovely and the view ideal! Every room has a full ocean view with a private balcony or patio. Everything was spotless and comfortable! The bed was comfortable. The little bathroom supplies included a shower cap, which I always appreciate. The soaps, lotion, shampoo, etc. were all natural/organic and fresh scents. I loved them!

There were plenty of electrical outlets, which is often a problem in motel rooms. I have to agree with the reviewer who would have liked instructions for the microwave. I'm sure I never did use it correctly.

We loved so many things about the room, but we found some things just odd. No towel bar by the sink to hang the hand towel. Only one trash can in room, none by toilet. No lamp on/by work table. No iron in room -- we had to call. Everything else was fabulous, but these seem like small things we just take for granted in a hotel room. Nothing that would keep us from coming back though! I don't see any reason to stay anywhere else on our next trip to Fort Bragg!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to give us much needed feedback about our property. I will make note of the items you mentioned and see what we can do about them. We are grateful for our visitors and anything we can do to make your stay a better one is always a plus!
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This was a wonderful hotel for our vacation in Fort Bragg. The newly remodeled rooms and the private decks are what sold my husband and I on this location. We were not disappointed! The location could not be any better either. Right on the bluffs with a wonderful view of the ocean. I would recommend the second floor rooms for the best views but the bottom floor if you like to walk right from your deck to the beach. The rooms are all remodeled so I hope more people post pictures of the new rooms as I actually passed over this hotel several times because of the out dated decor. If you are looking for a romantic, quite hotel with an amazing view of the ocean at a great price stay here!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank TabithaMarieC
Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about our property. We appreciate your feedback greatly and I will pass it on to our staff. We hope to be your go to destination whenever you visit Fort Bragg!
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

When my husband and I walked in our room, we both said, "ahhhh nice!" I wish we could have stayed longer. The location was amazing, right on the sand dunes neighboring the Pacific. We walked to the ocean from our room's back deck. The room was very nicely decorated and well kept. The bed was soft, with lots of pillows. The bathroom was clean. There was a refrigerator as well. The staff was friendly and helped us find an awesome pizza place for dinner. There were multiple lights and outlets. My favorite part was watching the sun set over the ocean from our back deck. The nature and setting were truly beautiful, serene, and rejuvenating. This hotel was the most relaxing I've visited in years. If I'm ever in Fort Bragg again, I will stay here!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle S, General Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We appreciate the positive feedback, you couldn't have given us a greater compliment than the word "perfect." I will share this with all our staff so they can continue being helpful to our guests. We look forward to your next visit!