“Nice Choice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cliff House - CLOSED

Cliff House
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Since 1985 the Cliff House Restaurant of Fort Bragg has been providing tourists and locals with the finest dining experience on the coast. With breathtaking views of the entrance to Noyo Harbor and the Pacific Ocean, you can’t find a better seat.
Bakersfield, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed at the North Cliff Hotel and upon check in received a discount coupon for the Cliff House which was right across the bridge. Despite some negative press in trip advisor and from locals, we decided to give it a shot. We were seated right away at a window seat which gave us an awesome view of the Noyo Harbor. It was a Thursday night about 6:00pm and the restaurant was already 3/4 full which was a good sign. The host and the servers were very polite and helpful, and we felt comfortable right away.
The food was very good.. my wife had the salmon, which was perfect, and the portions were generous. The only negative I have was with my dish... i ordered the prime rib, and asked for rare/medium rare... it was not only served medium (no pink at all) it was tough. Probably had been cooked on a different day and frozen. I almost didn't dock them star as I know better than to order Prime Rib on a Thursday night, but they really shouldn't have offered it... just substitute a nice Filet or Rib Eye which can be cooked individually.
That being said, I did eat it all so it couldn't have been that bad, and everything else was great. We will be going back next year.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Christina A, General Manager at Cliff House, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are sorry about the quality of your prime rib, please let us know if you have any problems with your food when it arrives, we could have definitely gotten you a new prime rib cooked to your order. We would like to thank you for your patronage and hope if you come back ino town in the future you will keep us in mind and give us another chance.

Penn Valley, California
“Great Views Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Was there last year, had the crab cake appetizer so when in the area again this year I had to return for another. Their food has beautiful presentation, and amazing flavor. The portion size was smaller this year.

Visited September 2012
Thank you for returning to our restaurant while you were in town. We appreciate your patronage and the review.
“Great food, good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We joined this place for dinner with several friends. We each had something different, but everyone enjoyed their dinners. The wine list is good and we had some Anderson Valley wines that were also excellent. The service was good.

Christina A, Public Relations Manager at Cliff House, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for your time a patronage. We appreciate the review and look forward to hopefully seeing again.
Medford, Oregon
“Go for "The Toast on the Coast'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband has long wanted to go to this restaurant but it is very pricey! Then we read about the Toast on the Coast - 2 dinners and a bottle of wine for $30 - that we could do! Available 4 - 6pm. It was pretty much what I expected - much smaller portions - we usually share a dinner, but I had no trouble finishing mine here - limited options, and bare bones - no soup or salad with it. The house wine was Fisheye. But the food was very good, the staff was very friendly and attentive, and at that hour we had the restaurant almost totally to ourselves. The dining is arranged stadium style so all seatings have a great view. The menu is available online at their website and they also have a Happy Hour Menu. It was a fun relaxing special night out.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your meal at our restaurant. Thank you for your patronage.
Modesto, California
“Not what the critics say”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I read the downside reviews on the Cliff House and must most respectfully disagree with the denigrating comments. I have been traveling to Fort Bragg for about a quarter of a century and the Cliff House has been a regular stop for dinner. I do pity the poor reviewer who found the fish overcooked, the vegetables soggy and so forth. Perhaps their expectations were not in accordance with the restaurant, the region or the season. The use of the words “Okay” and “surprisingly average” is not what we would use from what we have found from our travels across four continents. Our dinner was five star.
We, that is my wife and I, decided to try out the early bird special called the Toast on the Coast for Two. What makes this such a nice opportunity is its price of $30.00 and includes a bottle of house wine. More on the wine later. We were seated exactly where we wanted to be seated with an unobstructed view of the mouth of the Noyo Harbor so we could watch the fishing boats come in from their day at sea.
I chose the Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo and my wife opted for the Coconut Prawns. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed such a well prepared meal. Being an avid seafood lover, I am never satisfied with the number of Shrimp on the plate, but I must admit, I was completely full when finishing my dinner. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her meal as well.
Our server Megan and our bus boy Antonio, were a pure delight with open, friendly faces, prompt service and delightful banter. Our entire evening was met with a wait staff that was present to care for your needs, but never intrusive as can happen. Megan brought the Merlot we asked for and promptly went into the American farcical and pompous ritual of …. pour, savor the bouquet, swish a tiny bit in our mouth before deciding the wind is adequate or not. I love the Europeans; they figure the wine is good or bad so just pour and we will let you know.
Now getting to the wine. One really expects to find a "house" wine to be a bit on the rough side, however that was just the opposite from our expectation. Our "house" wine was a Merlot from a vintner located in South Eastern Australia. The wine is imported and bottled in a small California central valley town of Ripon under the name of Fish Eye. I am not the enthusiast for a red wine my wife is, but we both found this wine to be delightfully light and pleasant tasting. Kudos to the Cliff House for finding such a delightful wine.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your patronage and your review. We are pleased you enjoy our restaurant and look forward to seeing you again.