“Not what I expected”
Review of Glass Beach

Ranked #9 of 39 things to do in Fort Bragg
More attraction details
Owner description: The sand at this unusual beach is covered with interesting-shaped and colored rocks and stones.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I am not sure what all the hype was about. It was a nice beach (there are plenty of beautiful ones in the area), but the glass isn't the spectacle I expected, there didn't seem to be much. Still I enjoyed climbing rocks, taking pictures of the ocean and playing on the beach.

1  Thank Desink
Write a ReviewReviews (1,725)
All reviews
in 26 reviews
"state park"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed May 28, 2014

it's one of those beach that you could say "Yes..I've been there." Nothing special about the beach other than the shards of glass that has been weathered down over the decades. However, the drive to get to Glass Beach is a trip in itself. There are two ways (coming from the South) to get to Glass Beach from the 101 Freeway. One way is by State Route 20. If you like windy road this is for you. Lots of hair pin turns for the last 15 miles or so. Another way to Glass Beach from the South is via Route 128. I particular like this route. It does has it windy section (hair pin turns) where the 101 and 128 split, but only for a few miles. After that, you'll have slow and wide windy section, doing about 45-55mph so it's a nice drive. Plus if you're a wine love, there are dozens of wineries/vineyards for wine tasting to your delight. Remember to have a designate driver if you decide to go wine tasting; otherwise windy roads and wine don't mix well.

1  Thank CrazyCowPie
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had always wanted to see Glass Beach! It was stunning.

With that in mind, it was a little crowded, it was Memorial Day Weekend. AND people were sitting on the beach, literally DIGGING for glass! People had bags and cups to take the glass from the beach. This was disheartening and sad. If everyone took one piece of class, there wouldn't be enough to be called Glass Beach.

When you go, head to the left of the path. You will see more than glass, but remnants of other "trash" that is now part of the beach. Lovely spot!

1  Thank Finesse026
Reviewed May 27, 2014

If you are looking for a "jump out of the car, take a photo, and head to the next attraction" kind of stop, you will be disappointed. We were here under lousy circumstances, but drizzle and cold didn't deter us. So interesting that carelessness and foolishness could create something so wonderful, we just had to see. Climbing down the cliffs to the shore below gave us a glimpse into the amazing ability of the earth to heal itself and create something beautiful. The coast along here is gorgeous anyway and this little corner of history just made it more so. And while I did not see tourists taking away the glass bits, there were homeless people with their carts at the top and their buckets down below, shoveling up bits for resale. That was sad. A place we would gladly return to.

1  Thank heartofdixiejo
See more reviews
Reviewed May 25, 2014

There are several beaches along this stretch, the scenery & views are amazing and there are a couple different beaches with glass. I guess there is not as much glass as there once was, but it was fun to see. The glass sort of looks like little gummy bears mixed in with the rocks. We found the beach where there are many large chunks from the landfill that have yet to break down, so hopefully glass will continue to appear. Having said that, I still think people should refrain from taking it. We also saw numerous people filling bags and buckets with glass, unfortunately we did not see any signs that said they should not take it, although I heard there was a sign on the beach that was part of the park. I wish they would put up more signs and impose fines for those who take the glass.