“Excellent in every way.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Farmhouse Inn Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Forestville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wohler Rd.
Grass Valley
“Excellent in every way.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

First, the dinner is $65 for 2 savory & one sweet dish. $79 for 4 dishes. Once you get past the price, enjoy yourself. Server was great and explained all of the choices we had questions about. Lots of variety in 1st 2 choices. We had halibut, lamb & "cap of ribeye" for our main entree. Dessert included carrot cake & chocolate soufflé. Lots of wine choices. Wonderful evening. We'll be back.

Visited April 2013

Atlanta,GA
“Be careful what you order”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a famous restaurant with an excellent chef. What we objected to was the 'hustle' of our waiter. An older gentleman, he seemed very upscale and polished. He offered us a bit of house champagne to start - and indicated that this was gratis as well as the small chef sample at the start. The menu is the usual price fix. One choice was 3 items: 2 savory and one dessert. The other more expensive choice was 4 items: 3 savory and one dessert. Since we are not fans of sweets, the waiter told us that we could get three savory items instead of 2 savory and one dessert. So when we got our bill for almost $200 (without wine) we were shocked. The 'free' bit of champagne was $13 each glass, and were were charged for the 4 item menu and not the 3 as we were told. The food was good - but it was not a two hundred dollar meal. If the waiter had just been honest with us, we would have had a much better experience. Instead we felt obligated to warn our fellow guests about this 'unsavory' experience.

Visited April 2013
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn Restaurant, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Wow, I'm really surprised to hear this. And, I wish you'd questioned your server at the time. The amuse that we deliver is complimentary. But I'm confused about the champagne. We do offer a glass before dinner, but do not indicate that it would also be complimentary, so I'm sorry for that confusion! And I think that the charge for four courses rather than three was an error. We have guests choose to order all savory courses often, and never upcharge for that. Please give us a call and we'll gladly remedy the mistake.
Again, my apologies for any confusion!
Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
“Nice Celebratory Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and two daughters and I went here to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. I would agree that the dress code needs to be more in keeping with the atmosphere--jeans are definitely not appropriate, although there were a couple of people dressed as such. The food was delicious, but I would have thought that since it is Napa the food would be paired with Napa wines!? instead most of the wines were German, French. The staff was knowledgable and loved sharing that with us, which we thoroughly enjoyed. We are glad we had this experience to celebrate, but could obviously not afford to do it on a regular basis!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I'm so glad you chose to celebrate with us! And sorry you weren't entirely pleased with the meal. But, to clarify, we aren't in Napa. We're in Sonoma, Russian River Valley to be exact. And we do offer some Napa wines and tons of Sonoma wines. But, we do also offer a broad range of wines from other regions and countries. Our clientele is made up of locals as well as visitors. And, while we love our local wines, we also love to taste a variety of wines from wineries we love from around the world. So, we do our best to cater to both groups. I do hope you'll come back for your next special occasion.
Palm Springs, California
“Dress Code Needs to be In Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have eaten in the farmhouse many times and always enjoy the experience. The last time I ate there there were customers who came to eat that would have been rejected from going to a beach. Wife beater tee-shirts and shorts is too much for this type of a restaurant. If I am spending over a $100 person I think it might be nice to have the other customers with basic shirt and pants. I really dont think thats asking too much of the restaurant. Thanks

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I have to say that I agree, totally. And generally our guests, while often casual (we really don't mind nice jeans with appropriate tops), dress with respect for the experience we offer and the other guests in the restaurant. That does so rarely happen- under dressed guests- and I'm sorry you were negatively impacted. Occasionally reservations are booked by travel agents or hotels, and the guest doesn't know what to expect.
Hope to see you again soon!
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
“Good But Not Outstanding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

All four in our party ordered the 3 course Tasting and Wine Pairing. We all enjoyed our food. The wine was nothing spectacular nor was the dessert. It was a nice dinner, nice experience but not one I would do again.

• Visited March 2013