“How's this not 5 stars!???”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Backyard

The Backyard
Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Forestville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
A TripAdvisor Member
“How's this not 5 stars!???”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Just go here if you're nearby. The husband and wife team who own and run this place just care so much about it and you while you're here. We sat at the bar in front of the kitchen and the chef and crew were not only amazingly talented with food they are a blast to hang out town. The wine pairings are great but the food is just outstanding. Things that sound basic on the menu will just knock you out.

They rotate the menu constantly. These guys are talented. Just trust them.

Will definitely be back.

Pros: awesome food, great staff, fun atmosphere for a high end place

Cons: none

Seattle, Washington
“Perfect place to come home to.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

After moving to N. CA 6 months ago we've had a frustrating time finding a restaurant that wasn't overhyped and under delivering in wine country.

Backyard is the perfect place for us, it's laid back, unpretentious yet fantastically creative.

I understand that America has become the place of now, now, NOW but.. try just sitting down, relaxing and enjoying the meal as it's prepared.
This is a smaller establishment that prepares everything from scratch, and gets much (almost all?) of it's ingredients from local farms/growers - which means that you are getting the freshest food possible in a restaurant. And the food is not only grown with love but prepared with it.

Bucket of Doughnuts - absolutely wonderful, perfectly golden brown balls of sweet dough, tossed in sugar.
Chicken & Waffles - Oh my.. god.. the perfect crispy exterior around tender, moist chicken, with a perfect tasting, lovely golden brown waffle, and maple syrup, honey butter and jam.
Fish & Chips (I substituted a salad for the potato portion) - The best fried fish I have ever had, ever, anywhere. There are some great places in Seattle for F&C, and Bodega Bay has another good stop, but none of them come close to this.
Hash - A great dish, no matter how they prepare it.
Sausage Flatbread - wonderful garlic spread, a touch of cheese, awesome sausage and some greens on top.
Chicken Pot Pie - wow.. tender chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, leeks, topped with a wonderful biscuit and then put in the over to brown it further.
Tim's Burger - One of the best burgers I've tasted, perfect addition was a fried egg!
Pulled Pork Biscuits - If these are on the menu, TRY THEM!! Pulled pork on the oh so lovely Biscuits, with a wonderful coleslaw.
Olive Oil Cake - When I first read it, I wondered about dessert with Olive Oil (as much as I love Olive Oil I hadn't thought of it for dessert) and now? I can't get enough of this cake, it's perfect all on its own (but comes with a great ice cream and spread of caramel).

This is not the place to go for an in/out meal. Go for the experience of wonderful, homemade food, prepared by skilled chefs in a great little location.

1 Thank Lila H
Davis, California
“An excellent recommendation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went there on the recommendation from the Avalon Inn. We had seen the restaurant on the drive in and it looked intriguing. The atmosphere was excellent--only if it had been warmer to eat outside! The staff was very friendly and informative. They were able to provide an excellent vegan meal that left us well satisfied. It's well worth the visit.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank gvharrier
Haiku, Hawaii
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Too bad the management ruined the experience; the food was really good!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

We finally got to try The Backyard for my birthday dinner with my family! We were a little early for our dinner reservation and were sat outside on a chilly night (no heaters) to wait for our table inside. But we still had great attitudes! We were sat a 1/2 hour later, ordered food, our waitress was nice. The pickled/fermented appetizer was great! When our main course arrived, two of the people in our party were given a dish completely different from what they ordered. When we told the food runner, he said they had ran out of what was ordered and had switched over to what was served and our waitress should have told us this. Our waitress comes over to apoligize and seems a little distraught about the situation, but says she will buy our 2 meals. If they would have left it at that, we would have been fine. But, then the manager comes over to explain their whole kitchen dynamic and why we got the wrong food and gets pretty defensive over their mistake. It was pretty intense! I've worked in food service and I know people get fussy, but when the house is wrong, you apoligize, pay for your mistake and keep a smile on your face. The food was so good that I might go back for it, but will feel like an "unwelcomed" guest in the backyard of their house.

1 Thank Lindsay M
Woodbridge, New Jersey, USA
“Amazing food, service could use improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

This was a welcome treat after spending the day hiking. The food is truly farm to table and prepared well. My only qualms is how long it takes the food to arrive. I was practically the only person there on a Sunday Afternoon and it was still and hour + long experience. Also half of the items on the menu were not available because this was “brunch time.” Would it be asking a lot to print two sets of menus? Overall, I was not thrilled with this experience because of the service but the food was done right and on point. If you have the time to have a long lunch then this would be an okay option. Otherwise, consider other options.