“best place in Sonoma” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forestville
Kennebunkport, Maine
“best place in Sonoma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

what a special place this is...we will definitely go back, just hoping it can be sooner rather than later. great and friendly staff. best breakfasts ever, still thinking about the huevous rancheros, that good! really appreciated the relationships they have with some of the local and very good wineries which gave us a game plan for which to visit as there are so many. we had 2 great dinners there as well: why dine anywhere else? close to the state park, Armstrong, where we took a nice little hike among the redwoods. highly recommend this place and the whole experience of wine country, sonoma style

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Longview, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wine group and I stayed for 4 nights and absolutely loved it. The service is top notch and don't be afraid to ask for something if you need it. Anna, Brandon, Mary are all there to serve you and I used them alot. Some of my party got sick and the Farm House kept taking them sprites, crackers, you name it. The place is centrally located to everything and is outstanding in all amenities. They allow you to pick out your custom soaps and the heated bathroom floor is the most unexpected item. Plus, they can customize your wine experience at local wineries where you can get special treatment. While it was pricey, it was worth the attention to detail, you get to meet the owners who work it which in my opinion is important and they really want you to have a memorable experience. Go Stay and play at the Farmhouse. You won't be disappointed. If you need something, then let me know. tkelsey@hotmail.com

Room Tip: We have people stay in the $ 695, $795 and $ 495 rooms. The 695 and 795 were bascially the same, ju...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were in Sebastopol, CA for a family event so I intentionally looked near the area for my husband and I to sneak off to for a couple of days while in wine country. I initially found the Farmhouse Inn via Gayot's "Top 10 Wine Country Inns in the U.S."

We stayed in one of the barn rooms, which we thoroughly enjoyed. We travel a lot and have high standards, and this room did not disappoint. We loved the "farmhouse chic" style. The barn room was a great blend of modern (stylish bathroom with modern fixtures, white linens, flat-screen tv, etc.) and rustic (four-poster bed, antique barn rakes hanging on walls, "portal" window, etc.). The king bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. We loved the indoor-outdoor fireplace! While we didn't do it, we loved the idea of cooking s'mores at the firepit in the evenings. We also made use of the bath bar, which was a very nice touch.

I should note that while I like wine, I am not much of a wine connoisseur. When we called the front desk about having a different bottle of wine brought to our room, Megan was very helpful and spot-on with her recommendation based on what we told her we liked. I felt like I got a free wine-tasting lesson! I should also note that Anna was very friendly upon check in. And the glass of wine upon check in was a nice touch.

We ate dinner at the restaurant our first night and were very impressed with the level of service and quality of food. I didn't remember telling them that I don't eat meat when I first made our reservation so I was very impressed when our waiter knew that and steered me to the right menu item. I should note that there was only fish entree, but it was excellent. And since we aren't very informed wine drinkers, we were relieved that the sommelier wasn't forced upon us. The restaurant's atmosphere was very charming and romantic.

Blasphemous I know, but we didn't do any wine tours during our stay. Instead, we enjoyed driving around and going to the coast to drive Highway 1 as well as hiking through Armstrong redwoods reserve -- all very close to the inn. We loved driving through all the small towns with a ton of local places from which to choose to eat. Since this was our first time in "wine country," we didn't know what to expect so the inn's location and proximity to River Road didn't bother us like in other reviews. We thought the grounds were lovely with all the well-marked flowers and foliage. Since we were there in October, we had no intention or expectation to use the pool so we can't really comment on those amenities. Also, we didn't partake in any spa services.

If I was being uber-critical, the breakfasts were a little fussy for our liking. I know it's a Michelin-rated restaurant, but I would have loved a more traditional farm breakfast (eggs made to order, toast, fresh fruit, etc.) Instead, they offered two (2) selections each morning that were gourmet in nature (and therefore small). I almost became vegan on the spot when I saw my husband's order of sunnyside-up quail eggs quivering at me. (The waitress was kind enough to offer me chicken eggs when she sensed my hesitation.) I readily admit this is a personal preference on my part.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay very much and would highly recommend the Farmhouse Inn to friends and family. We would definitely come back!

Room Tip: If you stay in the barn rooms, you might want to consider a 2nd-floor room as there were times we he...
Ripon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

stayed in the barn( Rm. 18) it was fabulous, inviting, and private. dinner and breakfast very nice along w/ the meet and greet staff were very helpful. We will be back very soon i hope. The waiter and busboy/assistant were very friendly and gracious, however we found the sommellier to be a bit stand-offish and not as informed as we had hoped

1 Thank jddmax
Lees Summit, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Oh, my ..... where do I start? How about here: BIG birthday year and months ago my husband said, "where do you want to go celebrate?" I knew he meant that I could pick about anywhere I wanted. (I am one lucky girl!) We travel a lot. We are blessed to have been to many places in the world, the country, and locally to our beloved Kansas City. Since the Farmhouse is one of my 3 favorite destinations ever, it was the first thing out of my mouth. I believe this was our 5th or 6th visit here.

We came to the Farmhouse the first time when it was probably only a couple of years (if that) old. Catherine was just getting started working her creative and thoughtful magic. Thus, we have seen many changes as the Inn has "grown up". It just keeps getting better.

This was our first time in one of the Barn rooms, and as I dwelled on whether it would be worth the upgrade, I also knew that we would get what we paid for. Our room was spacious, clean, beautifully decorated, and smelled great! We loved the see through fireplace that also was viewed from our large deck. We spent a great deal of time in our Adirondack chairs facing the fireplace, hearing the birds in the trees surrounding us, feeling very isolated from other guests, even though we knew we were not. The configuration of the rooms and decks/patios are such that privacy is afforded. If one asks my husband, one knows that I love to be pampered and made to feel special......perhaps one of the reasons I love the Farmhouse. The attention to detail in all of the 'little' touches are too numerous to mention. The way after dinner that we walked back into our room and saw our bed has been turned down, there were fresh and fabulous chocolate chip cookies at the bedside, and soothing music was softly playing. (and I might mention these may be the best chocolate chip cookies in the WORLD!) The local, fabulous smelling personal products available in the shower and bathroom. The spacious spa tub. The well though out lighting in every part of the suite and bathroom. The small wine bar and access to some of Sonoma's fine and interesting wines right there in our room. The fresh flowers in fun vases. Did I mention those cookies??? The chocolate bar that hit the spot at just the right moment. The votive candles in perfect places. The luscious towels and plenty of them. The bedding that felt like I was sinking into a cloud but yet, at the same time had a 'firmness' that I require for great sleep (how do they do that?). The sumptuous robes. On and on. The little, cute flashlights for reading at night or, in my case, that I took out on the deck at 5 a.m. (remember, I am from the Midwest and it was 7 a.m. in my body!) to read by the fireplace, cuddled up in that warm, gorgeous wool blanket, while hubby slept.

The grounds are just as spectacular and have the same attention to detail. Beautiful gardens that include many kinds of mint and greens tucked amongst colorful flowers. Even though we didn't enjoy the pool, I did appreciate the beautiful area where it was and knew that it could be a great place to relax. There were also so many little areas with Adirondack chairs looking so inviting .... and, again, the feeling of privacy in each. Lanterns were sprinkled throughout the grounds that had fresh votive candles in them each day, waiting til dusk to be lit so that if one walked from car or the restaurant, the way was always softly lit in a beautiful style.

And the folks who work there ..... starting with Catherine and Joe to the gals who cleaned our room, we appreciated them all. I think much can be said for how long employees stay at the Farmhouse and how many of the people we talked to said, "I love my job." We always feel like we are so comfortable at the Farmhouse, no matter who is working. Being from the Midwest, we are definitely used to people being friendly and warm and we do not feel like we miss a beat when we come here. Catherine definitely has an instinct for the kind of people to hire, nows how to train folks, and we enjoyed so many of them. We had particularly nice interactions with Tamera, Victoria, and Brenden, to name a few. They are well trained, competent, and delightful to be around....my highest compliments for an employee of any place.

The breakfasts were amazing. I pride myself on being a 'foodie' and maybe even a gourmet cook. Each of the three breakfasts we had varied from the other and contained interesting combinations of courses and they were the perfect amount of food. I even found myself taking a picture of a couple of them just so I would not forget the presentation. We found the breakfast time perfect, being able to sit down at 8:30 a.m......and the service was very good and spot on in making sure we were not there too long, without the feeling of being rushed. Things seemed timed to the minute and well orchestrated. And....the coffee was quite good and plentiful as was the fresh squeezed juice.

As far as dinner .... one cannot stay at the Farmhouse and not have at least one dinner at the restaurant there. It was spectacular in itself. Great food, great service, great fun! It was as fine as any other restaurant I have been to and the setting better than most! Can't beat that!

We also enjoyed two other restaurants while there ..... K & L Bistro in Sebastapol for lunch (fun, fun place with interesting menus and great food!) and, of course, The Underwood in Graton. It is such a kick to go there. Totally different than the Farmhouse Restaurant, but the perfect alternative when one wants a casual meal in an energetic atmosphere, loves to people watch, and appreciates great food.

As far as wineries, the Farmhouse concierge service is great to recommend and help get reservations for tastings if necessary. We emailed ahead since we are so "into" wine and had recommendations from Geoff, the Head Sommelier and he was spot on in what we liked. We particularly were impressed with (and bought wine from!) Copain and Lioco.

I know that I have forgotten some things here, but hopefully, I leave the impression that the Farmhouse is an extraordinary experience, not just a place to rest one's head. It IS special ...but that is so whether one stays in one of luxurious Barn Deluxe Suites or in one of the smaller rooms. Even Room #1 by the road. We have stayed there, as well, when that is what we could get. And, we loved it! We always hate leaving, wish we could stay longer, and hope to go back. That is how I always know a stay was the best! Thank you, Catherine and Joe for doing such a good job and allowing those of us who appreciate a real treat in the way of travel to experience what you obviously love to put your efforts into!

2 Thank skmadkap
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

A beautiful property with a nice pool; a lovely room; a grand breakfast; helpful, friendly staff - all in close proximity to some of the best wineries and micro-breweries in the country. This is a luxurious getaway. Our roomy suite was equipped with a sauna and fireplace. Turn-down every night included chocolate chip cookies and milk - a nice touch. I know we will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the road as possible.
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Based on all we had read about the Farmhouse Inn, our expectations for our stay there were very high. Farmhouse exceeded those expectations at every turn. The property grounds are just lovely. The staff is delightful and willing (and able) to help in any way possible. They were thoughtful and anticipated our needs before we knew them ourselves. The food is beyond description. The sweet and savory breakfast choices each morning were unique and divine. The dinner is not to be missed. We have had terrific meals at many fine restaurants, but we will never forget our Farmhouse dinner. Our room (the luxury barn room) was so comfortable--large and beautifully appointed. The bathroom is spacious and beautiful. The spa is lovely and our spa treatments were relaxing after a stressful (ha!) day of wine tasting.

Room Tip: The luxury barn rooms are amazing--large, stylish, and comfortable.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forestville
Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort
H2 Hotel
H2 Hotel
#2 of 9 in Healdsburg
4.5 of 5 stars 423 reviews

Been to Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!