“Mostly good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forest House Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Foresthill
Forest House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Foresthill
SF Bay Area
“Mostly good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

I was a Maid of Honor in a July 2009 wedding that was held at this location. First, let me say that the bride, groom, and mother of the bride all LOVED this place and had a fabulous time. They did not have to stress about anything, the staff treated them wonderfully, and they truly enjoyed themselves. This is the most important thing.

As for me, I think there are many positive things to recommend about this place.
-The ceremony site was amazing.
-The staff was helpful and very nice.
-I liked the warm feel with the overstuffed chairs/sofas that filled the many seating areas.
-The bar was clean and had nice ambiance.
-The food, while not fabulous, was more than acceptable. I felt the lamb was way overcooked and the different meats should have been labeled. The pasta dish and potato dish were awful- but the green beans, fruit, and salmon were all delightful. Both mornings the breakfast was good and lunch was fine.
-I liked that they kept cold bottles of water easily available at all times for all the guests, as well as chocolates.
-The game area is great!
-Parking is very easy
-Extra towels are easily accessible
-The inside was kept at a good temperature.
-All the rooms have AC!!

Some things that I didn't like so much...
-I thought the rooms were not worth the money they cost. They were very small, ok furnished, and mine did not have adequate clothes storage. Some of the other rooms I saw were a bit nicer/had interesting architectural details. The TV's didn't work in the rooms. I don't know- maybe you had to ask the desk to connect the cable or something. My mattress was terrible and I know other guests had the same complaint. Also, they need to put screens on the windows.
-I had a jack-and-jill bathroom with a neighboring room. Having the jack-and-jill bathroom is NOT worth the extra money. The shared bathrooms are much nicer and the continental-style rooms are about $20-30 cheaper.
-Also, if you are going as part of a large group, make sure they charge you the correct amount. One couple changed rooms at the last minute, from a jack-and-jill to a continental style room (no fault of the hotel), but they were still charged the higher rate. They didn't realize this until much later, after the event was over.
-For the bar, the bride had set up a limit- it was a hosted bar until a certain amount of money (like $1500) was spent and then it switched to a no-host bar. Non-alcoholic drinks were on the house. This was thought to last most of the night. It lasted about 1/2 hour into the reception. The guests were drinking like fish- which is fine. However, I strongly disagree with what the bartenders were doing because I think it caused the $1500 limit to be reached faster. One of the bartenders was making rounds of shots, on his own and then giving them to folks, with various hard liquors (some of which are expensive) and giving them to folks. At $7-10 per shot and multiple rounds with at least 8-10 per round, it adds up very quickly. I don't think this was a good thing to do.

Overall, this was one of the best wedding I've attended. There were more positive things than negative. And, the bride and groom REALLY enjoyed themselves and their joy was clear for everyone to see.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank scfm77

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

I am astounded at the poor reviews posted by the other individuals on this site as our wedding was PERFECT! First, the sierra views of the wedding site are spectacular. (The photos of the ceremony site do not give it justice.) Second, the prices and packages are clearly detailed and available prior to signing any contracts. In addition, the contract itself was clear and concise on what is and isn’t covered in the cost. Our wedding coordinator, Kathryn, was incredibly helpful and readily accessible via email and telephone. We met with Kathryn at the site several times to show the site to all of our parents. Both my and my husband’s parents are divorced and wanted to see the location prior to the wedding. Kathryn was always on time and eager to help us with this delicate situation. We selected the Friday wedding package which included use of the rooms at the lodge both Thursday and Friday nights. Many of our guests arrived Thursday and were sad to leave Saturday morning. The lodge is a spectacular facility. At this facility you are not limited to the banquet hall; guests can enjoy the old fashioned bar, two different lounges, the back courtyard, the outdoor patio and the game area. The recently redecorated game area is one of the highlights of the lodge. The game area consists of a Beatles’ themed Rock Band/Guitar Hero room, a pool table, a ping pong table, an air hockey table, a shuffle board, a Wii game and a black jack table. Our guests were up until 2 am both nights playing games in the game area. In addition, the bridal salon/suite is huge, complete with beauty parlor chairs. I can not say enough positive comments about the facility. I am so glad that we held our event at the Forest House Lodge. Next, I’d like to comment on the quality of the staff. We worked closely with four staff members and we felt like our needs were met completely. Kudos to the bartending staff and the food too! We recently had lunch at one of the other sites that we had been considering for our wedding and were SO glad that we selected the Forest House Lodge for our event. Our only complaint is that the lodge is no longer a traditional hotel and we can not go back to stay.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank happicapi
ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

My husband and I have been treated very poorly by the Forest House in 2009 after several issues were handled inappropriately regarding their staff during and after our wedding. I get shaky and sick to my stomach when I think about the things that went on during our weekend stay.
I would never recommend this venue to anyone. They have gone so far as to send out letters of threat of lawsuit to my guests for writing honest reviews of their experience. Some received these embarrassing letters that hadn't even written a review, which is just creepy in my opinion. Perhaps the establishment may have been better in the past years, but as for 2009, it was very disappointing especially after reading so many positive reviews and looking at the claims their website makes. After all, we wouldn't have booked the location if we didn't believe in it! I hate to give a poor review, but I feel inclined to accurately rate the service we received from the staff working our wedding, and also the treatment our guests received after the event by the management.
For instance, the Sunday morning following the wedding, my husband overheard two of the staff members trash talking myself and our guests while window washing. That just broke my heart and put a major damper on our honeymoon.
As far as my guests, they had a blast. For the most part, they were totally unaware of any problems that went on before the ceremony began which is a good thing. Not all of them overheard snide remarks. Luckily, the love my hubby and I have for each other was enough to overcome the stress and distraction brought upon us. Also, the food was delicious...the chef is amazing!
If you have already signed the contract, my advice to you is to hire your own wedding planner, and make sure you get everything in writing, as well as crunching the numbers on the invoice to ensure that it is accurate, as we found error.
Oh, and one last thing, congrats on the engagement and I wish you a beautiful and magical wedding no matter where it is! Check out my list of nupital bliss to find other great vendors we used for our big day <3

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank nature3
concernedguest34
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

The Forest House Lodge and it's remote ceremony location are beautiful. However, the management and ownership of this establishment need serious training in customer service, especially for the amount of money their charge brides and grooms to host their events.

I attended a wedding there in February.

I personally witnessed the staff complaining to the matron-of-honor (who speak for the bride so the bride doesn't have to deal with the details-- what bride should?!) that they could not produce the table linens the bride requested-- ones that litter the photos on the Forest House's website-- and the one's the bride specifically requested because they were running out of labor hours. I was standing within arms length of the conversation because I was waiting to ask the matron-of-honor a question. I heard it all. They then badgered the matron of honor that they needed to speak to the bride to confirm and dragged her out of the rehearsal we were having to discuss the linens. Eventually, after much hassle, the Forest House staff produced the linens. I would like to address this issue specifically as I think the Forest House staff could use an education in customer service: If you don't deliver what you advertise and promise, you do NOT charge the customer to correct your mistake. You do NOT run out of "labor hours" making things right for your customer. You do whatever it takes to make the customer satisfied, and honestly, pulling out three brown table linens to grace the head table so it matches all the other tables should not be a hassle! (If it's on your website, then you advertise it, and you must offer it.)

Second, for being a "premiere" and boutique hotel, the service was terrible. They brought the bride coffee and drinks to her salon before the ceremony, but never came back to pick up any of the things they brought into the room. Hours later it was stinking of rotting creamer, stale bagels and the tables were covered in glasses because nobody came back in to check on anything until the NEXT MORNING. I went down to the salon at around 10pm and it was still in the same condition it was in the morning before the ceremony. SICK! I have seen better attention to detail from budget banquet halls-- certainly when you pay a certain amount of money, you should expect a certain level of service.

Stay far away from this place! Don't be seduced by the fancy phone recording when you call them or how nice they are at first (they are trying to get you to sign a contract, of course) because you'd be much better off elsewhere!

The Forest House tries every tactic imaginable to get upset customers not to write about their negative experiences or to take down negative reviews. They leave threatening phone calls and emails saying they will take the reviewer to court. It's called Free Speech! It's my personal experience with the Forest House, it's TRUE, and it's protected by law via the First Amendment. I am confident that TripAdvisor will not bend to the will of this shady business and leave this review up. As shown by the reviews below me, I'm not the first person to have had a run-in with the poor customer service this place provides.

• Stayed February 2009
5 Thank concernedguest34
Chico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2008

Where do I begin? I originally went to the Forest House with my mother, future Mother-In-Law, and sister as my fiance was deployed in the Navy. After sitting down with Patrick to discuss our date, what we were looking for, and what he could offer us, we were told that we were put on the books for our June 2009 wedding - more than a year before our wedding date. Patrick said that we didn't need a deposit until 6 months prior to the wedding date, which would have been January 2009. He promised that our wedding would be perfect. After this original meeting, that's when everything began to go wrong.

When my fiance was on leave, I made an appointment with the event coordinator at the time so that he could see where we would be getting married. After confirming with her multiple times, she ended up not showing up and we were unable to view the property again - a waste of my time after driving from Chico just to see it for the day. After multiple emails back to her she finally responded in 3 weeks about simple dimensions of the reception room, but never took responsibility for taking so long to get back to me or the fact that she never showed for our meeting.

Suddenly there was a change in coordinators, which I was hoping might be for the better; I was sadly mistaken. While she was a step up from the old coordinator, she confirmed that everything was fine and there was no need for us to drop off a deposit and we were practically dismissed for trying to get things taken care of.

It is currently 7 months before my wedding and I have just found out that my wedding date has been double booked and that it is going to another couple because their contracts were signed. After calls to the hotel to try and figure out what happened, from previous experience we knew that there was no way we would get an explanation in a timely manner. After doing research we were able to contact the owners personally at home [--] which was the only way we knew we would talk to them immediately, where Monica became very defensive with my fiance and not taking responsibility for what they had done. She said that she knew about the problem, but where was our phone call from them? She then promised to call me the next day between 11am and 12pm to discuss the matter. The next day I waited until 12:30 before calling her cell phone directly when she refused to take my call and hung up on me twice just to have me leave a message on her machine. I asked for an apology that day and was expecting it from her. To my surprise, my mother was contacted by the current coordinator to tell her that Patrick was in a meeting and couldn't be contacted. Unfortunately, that was not acceptable to us by this time to be brushed aside again, especially over such an important thing as double booking our wedding date, so Patrick was asked to leave his meeting and finally talk to us. He explained that because our contracts weren't signed, we had no rights in this issue. He forgot to mention that it was his fault in not notifying us that someone else was looking at the same date and that we would need to sign contracts and put a deposit down if we still wanted it. Instead he went ahead with the new couple and dismissed us like we weren't important - a very different experience from our original meeting.

As for Monica calling me back, it never happened and I instead received a call from Patrick. His "apology" was filled with "this has gotten [--] up" and "the whole situation got screwed up" and then he said that he would take most of the blame, but that some of it belonged to my mother. He began to tell me that this has happened 4 times before with them double booking and that he wakes up having nightmares that this kind of thing might happen. He never once said he was sorry for what happened to me and instead asked if I wanted to change my date and still work with him. Why would I ever do that after everything that they have put me through? He said I had every right to be pissed and cry, which was the first true statement he had said all day.

After getting off the phone he received a very detailed email with everything that had gone wrong from the original meeting up until now. His response was "good luck." Why is it that they would rather blame everyone else then take the upper hand and admit they messed up and it was their fault for not letting us know. How unprofessional.

I'm sure that he is going to write something back with a smart comment saying that it was our fault for not signing contracts, but after he gave his word, said we were on the books, and having emails with all the information sent to us, I really doubt that this can be strewn as our fault. It is the management's responsibility to contact their clients when another couple is interested in the same date. How dare they accuse me or my mother that it was our fault. If they would have called us back when we originally called to set up a time to sign the contracts then this wouldn't have happened.

While this has been a horrible experience and I wouldn't wish it on any other bride, I'm seeing this as a great opportunity to work with new vendors who really do care about their clients and would never let this happen. After all the stress and disappointment they have caused, I do hope that karma takes its turn for them.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank DisheartenedBride
Sacramento
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2008

My son and fiance booked the Forest House for wedding in 2009. They just found out it the owners double booked the site--by their own admission it was the fourth time this happened.

The male owner used obscenities over the phone when questioned over the mix-up. Female owner hung up three times.

Plans have been in the works, but the owners expressed no concern. Actually, better to find out now what kind of people they are then to wait for the wedding day.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank fromSacramentoarea
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2007

My new husband and I married at The Forest House Lodge (for some reason it's been called The Forest House Hotel on this website) in August, 2007. It was my husband's idea, as he had attended a wedding of similar size and temperment (175 people, 125 of whom love perhaps more than a splash of champagne and a good dance tune) at the Forest House in 2005 and had a fabulous time. That couple, in fact, were guests at our own wedding, and Patrick and Monica (facility owners) still remembered them and their wedding, which also went really well.

My husband and I were far from disappointed. The ceremony site, which is something like 1.4 miles from the hotel site, is a breathtaking Sierra Nevada overlook, and can be as much as ten degrees cooler in the summer than the valley below (I think Foresthill, the town where the lodge is, is at something like 3000 feet). Parking there is not a problem, though we encouraged our guests to meet at the Lodge and carpool up to the ceremony site.

We held our reception back at the lodge. The food was really tasty, and I am an unabashed foodie and can be hard to please. we spent our honeymoon in Liguria and Tuscany, Italy, and created our wedding meal menu to reflect some of those regions' influences. Monica and her staff added some special requests onto our menu at little cost to us, which made the meal even more personal. Patrick and his bartender got the party started in the courtyard with beer, wine, and champagne, and kept it going all night in the bar with the Lodge's fabulous bottled beer and cocktail selections. The Lodge also serves a dozen or so wines, but we provided the wine for our wedding ourselves (even with corkage, it's a smart way to go at this venue) which the bartenders happily poured. We had our own cake brought in from Karen's Bakery and Catering in Folsom, CA, but we *did* participate in the Forest House annual tasting for booked and prospective brides and grooms in February before our wedding and Monica's cakes and desserts were very good.

One feature that drew us to the Forest Housew as that we could party as late as we wanted! We had guests dancing until we left at midnight; my father and some cousins from both sides and the bridal party shut down the bar at 2AM and then kept going with darts and pool on the basment level until 3:30 in the morning! Some of my husband's family are Jewish, and Patrick even allowed us to have a chair dance!

In response to some complaints I see on this website: be sure to read your wedding event contract carefully, to be sure you and Patrick are on the same page. After all, your signature thereon means just that--that you HAVE read it, word for word. Also, know your financial limits, and stick to them. Patrick can work within many different sized budgets to help you plan a memorable event. He is also willing to work out a personalized payment plan that suits your finances better than the initial plan he sends out. The key is to be up-front about your desires and your limits, and to keep on Patrick a little, as he is pretty busy and can sometimes take awhile to respond to questions or concerns. But he'll always respond eventually. This summer, 2007, Patrick and Monica hired a new gal to be their full-time event coordinator, and she is (I think) taking over for Patrick as the go-to person for questions and concerns.

As for quality of the venue? Yes, the building is old and has a colorful past. The water can take a few minutes to get hot. The building creaks and moans if it's windy. There is no elevator (if wheelchair accessibility is an issue for you, definitely visit the place in person before making any decisions). However, Patrick and Monica have over the year that we've been visiting the place installed new carpet downstairs (upstairs is next), totally redecorated the basement level to create a luxurious bridal preparation and photo-op area, redesigned the landscaping in the courtyard, and added some features to the ceremony site (a flagstone "aisle", for instance, for the bride and her attendants to walk down). My husband and I love the look of the place, with its rich wood flooring and paneling and original wooden bar, and it gave our out-of-state guests a fun taste of Gold Rush history.

Two things to be aware of: one, the Forest House Lodge is NOT a standard hotel. It is open (as far as I know) only for private parties (in addition to weddings it would be highly suitable for family reunions, as the building can sleep 60-70 guests or more if people don't mind air mattresses and sleeping bags) and for Patrick's much-talked-about "potential bride and groom stay-ver nights." Two, the closest additional lodging that we could find was 17 miles away, on I-80 in Auburn. There are some B&B's in the Foresthill Road area, though, and also some camping. Just something to be aware of, as the road at night is dark and has some twisy moments, and if your crowd parties hard, you night consider a shuttle service to one of the Auburn hotels or tell your friends to bring sleeping bags!

Check out the website at http://www.foresthouse.com/. Happy planning!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foresthill
BEST WESTERN Golden Key
#3 of 7 in Auburn
Power's Mansion Inn
Power's Mansion Inn
#1 of 2 in Auburn

Been to Forest House Lodge? Share your experiences!