“Be warned”
Review of Forest House Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Foresthill
Forest House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Foresthill
Sacramento
“Be warned”
Reviewed December 3, 2008

My son and fiance booked the Forest House for wedding in 2009. They just found out it the owners double booked the site--by their own admission it was the fourth time this happened.

The male owner used obscenities over the phone when questioned over the mix-up. Female owner hung up three times.

Plans have been in the works, but the owners expressed no concern. Actually, better to find out now what kind of people they are then to wait for the wedding day.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fromSacramentoarea

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed December 9, 2007

My new husband and I married at The Forest House Lodge (for some reason it's been called The Forest House Hotel on this website) in August, 2007. It was my husband's idea, as he had attended a wedding of similar size and temperment (175 people, 125 of whom love perhaps more than a splash of champagne and a good dance tune) at the Forest House in 2005 and had a fabulous time. That couple, in fact, were guests at our own wedding, and Patrick and Monica (facility owners) still remembered them and their wedding, which also went really well.

My husband and I were far from disappointed. The ceremony site, which is something like 1.4 miles from the hotel site, is a breathtaking Sierra Nevada overlook, and can be as much as ten degrees cooler in the summer than the valley below (I think Foresthill, the town where the lodge is, is at something like 3000 feet). Parking there is not a problem, though we encouraged our guests to meet at the Lodge and carpool up to the ceremony site.

We held our reception back at the lodge. The food was really tasty, and I am an unabashed foodie and can be hard to please. we spent our honeymoon in Liguria and Tuscany, Italy, and created our wedding meal menu to reflect some of those regions' influences. Monica and her staff added some special requests onto our menu at little cost to us, which made the meal even more personal. Patrick and his bartender got the party started in the courtyard with beer, wine, and champagne, and kept it going all night in the bar with the Lodge's fabulous bottled beer and cocktail selections. The Lodge also serves a dozen or so wines, but we provided the wine for our wedding ourselves (even with corkage, it's a smart way to go at this venue) which the bartenders happily poured. We had our own cake brought in from Karen's Bakery and Catering in Folsom, CA, but we *did* participate in the Forest House annual tasting for booked and prospective brides and grooms in February before our wedding and Monica's cakes and desserts were very good.

One feature that drew us to the Forest Housew as that we could party as late as we wanted! We had guests dancing until we left at midnight; my father and some cousins from both sides and the bridal party shut down the bar at 2AM and then kept going with darts and pool on the basment level until 3:30 in the morning! Some of my husband's family are Jewish, and Patrick even allowed us to have a chair dance!

In response to some complaints I see on this website: be sure to read your wedding event contract carefully, to be sure you and Patrick are on the same page. After all, your signature thereon means just that--that you HAVE read it, word for word. Also, know your financial limits, and stick to them. Patrick can work within many different sized budgets to help you plan a memorable event. He is also willing to work out a personalized payment plan that suits your finances better than the initial plan he sends out. The key is to be up-front about your desires and your limits, and to keep on Patrick a little, as he is pretty busy and can sometimes take awhile to respond to questions or concerns. But he'll always respond eventually. This summer, 2007, Patrick and Monica hired a new gal to be their full-time event coordinator, and she is (I think) taking over for Patrick as the go-to person for questions and concerns.

As for quality of the venue? Yes, the building is old and has a colorful past. The water can take a few minutes to get hot. The building creaks and moans if it's windy. There is no elevator (if wheelchair accessibility is an issue for you, definitely visit the place in person before making any decisions). However, Patrick and Monica have over the year that we've been visiting the place installed new carpet downstairs (upstairs is next), totally redecorated the basement level to create a luxurious bridal preparation and photo-op area, redesigned the landscaping in the courtyard, and added some features to the ceremony site (a flagstone "aisle", for instance, for the bride and her attendants to walk down). My husband and I love the look of the place, with its rich wood flooring and paneling and original wooden bar, and it gave our out-of-state guests a fun taste of Gold Rush history.

Two things to be aware of: one, the Forest House Lodge is NOT a standard hotel. It is open (as far as I know) only for private parties (in addition to weddings it would be highly suitable for family reunions, as the building can sleep 60-70 guests or more if people don't mind air mattresses and sleeping bags) and for Patrick's much-talked-about "potential bride and groom stay-ver nights." Two, the closest additional lodging that we could find was 17 miles away, on I-80 in Auburn. There are some B&B's in the Foresthill Road area, though, and also some camping. Just something to be aware of, as the road at night is dark and has some twisy moments, and if your crowd parties hard, you night consider a shuttle service to one of the Auburn hotels or tell your friends to bring sleeping bags!

Check out the website at http://www.foresthouse.com/. Happy planning!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed July 25, 2007

I have read these other reviews and although they are allowed their own opinions, I must say I had the opposite experience. I attended a small (30 person) wedding here in March 2006 and had a great time. Patrick and Monica do an amazing job with their hotel and service. They gave as much as help to this small wedding as I saw them give to an event there attended by over a hundred people. In fact, the experience of attending this small wedding was so nice, that I am holding my 100+ person wedding there this November 2007. I have had no contract or price problems with them at all!! I had the guest room pricing explained to me and had no problems whatsoever, it's very easy to understand, you use the rooms, you pay for them or Patrick is nice enough to accept payments from the guest and put them towards your final bill.

In regards to the person saying it is old and musty, not true. Of course, it is a big old hotel and is going to have general problems here and there, but they have actually put in a lot of work over the last 2 years to create a bridal suite and other upgrades. Before you listen to someone else's bad experiences, listen to someone who has been there more than once and has never had a bad experience. I feel confident that my wedding will go very smoothly in November and I will continue to have good things to say about them.

• Liked — The service and gameroom!
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed November 19, 2006

My Husband and I were married at the Forest House in July on this year. Everything went smoothly, We were chanrged exactly what we were told we would becharged, The food was excellent, as was the cake all made by Monica and her staff.
Rose the wedding planner there was very helpful and nice as was every single staff member.

We only had 2 issues, 1 the circut kept popping on one side of the hotel and had to keep being reset, Was not a big deal at all. The other was that they deicded to show our rooms on Saturday of the wedding and did not notify us. Some of our guests were actually in their rooms when the staff came in with strangers to show them...and my room was shown too and the door to the room my wedding gown was in was left open for my furure husband to see prior to tthe wedding.

All in all we had a good experance. The ceramony site is even more beautiful in person.

Nikki Youse

• Stayed October 2006
3 Thank Murphy21
concord
Reviewed March 26, 2006

We contacted this venue in the hopes of booking our wedding. Patrick the owner was very nice and convinced me he was an honest stand up guy. He invited us to stay complementary where we were treated first class. The house is fairly similar to the pictures on the internet and the ceremony site is beautiful. After discussing a date and price with Patrick my fiancé and I were very excited to receive an invoice via email, that matched to a T the options and price that Patrick and I discussed. We received the contracted in the mail with the same invoice, but the cover letter stated the wedding was 2000.00 more. I was so sure that this was a mistake I contacted Patrick and asked him to send the correct cover letter. At this pointed he said this was correct and if he were really going to give us the price we discussed, he’d rather just have the day off. I was heart broken. To add insult to injury, his attitude from stand up guy changed to oh well that how it is. He said I was the ONLY bride who ever had a problem with his very clear invoice (he stands corrected; I emailed him this review site) and that my fiancée and I had two options now, to get married at a restaurant or community park. He closed by saying that I had better choose my accusations carefully because they will come back to haunt me. I was hoping to meet in the middle somewhere, he was not. This site is very pretty, but it’s not worth going through what I just went through

8 Thank happyviewer
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 12, 2005

If you are considering renting this place, be sure to get an estimate in writing before you ask for a contract. Inquire about minimum prices and ask explicitly how much each item will cost. They will nickel and dime you all the way through. There are prettier places to rent in the Gold Country. Pass this one by!!!!

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 24, 2005

After dealing with the management (for a wedding), I seriously have to warn you about these guys. They are not trust worthy or keep to their word. If you do deal with them, get everything in writing!! I also advise you to visit the lodge in person, as the website is great, the place is pretty run down and musty. The only thing they really got going for them is the ceremony venue, which is like a mile away from their lodge.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foresthill
The Historic American River Inn
#1 of 5 in Placerville
Sierra Sun Cloud Inn
Sierra Sun Cloud Inn
#1 of 1 in Colfax

Been to Forest House Lodge? Share your experiences!