The Reef Dive Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
All reviewsmataking islandbeautiful islandgreat divingbeach chaletsand barpom pom islandcelebes seaoutdoor jacuzziper dayfood varietyboat rideinternet connectionbuffet styletrue paradisemeal timeslow tidearmed guards
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 15, 2013

beautiful island with serene water... plenty of marine life to see... really enjoyed my trip there...the whole island is nothing but beautiful... with the beautiful clear blue water and sands...the staff were very friendly and helpful....would definitely go there again

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank clichegal
PatrGG, General Manager at The Reef Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear clichegal,

We are so happy that you chose Mataking for your holidays and that you enjoyed your time with us here.
Thank you for reviewing Mataking and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future. We are here for you!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

went there for 2 days 1 night. I felt so happy to have my holiday in this island. The island is really really so pretty and the crystal clear sea. Their service is so good. We received a warm welcome from the staff. Whenever the staff see us, they would greet us with a smiling face. The staff are so friendly and nice. I have nothing to complaint. If you're bored, you could join the activities that they've provided.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Veanne T
PatrGG, General Manager at The Reef Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear Veanne T,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our resort.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Mataking and look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards and Sunny Greetings from beautiful Mataking.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We just came back from a 4 night stay at Mataking Reef Dive Resort with our two children (7 and 9). We absolutely loved it. After a very disappointing trip last year to Redang Island in West Malaysia, we did find what we were looking for: fantastic service, a long, lonely beach, clean and turquoise water and an amazing sealife - a tropical paradise! The highlight for our children was the night walk where we watched a turtle laying her eggs at night and learned that turtles cry when leaving their eggs...
The resort is fairly larger, however despite the fact that we came during peak season we never felt crowded. The staff was very helpful, friendly and professional. The food was very good and varied every day ( we never had the same soup twice), all together it was the perfect holiday. I would also like to congratulate the resort on its afford to protect the ecosystem by patrolling for fish bombing and by actively protecting turtles. Its rare finding these days in Sabah.

1  Thank Dotti2013
PatrGG, General Manager at The Reef Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Dotti2013,

Thank you very much for choosing Mataking as your vacation home this year and for your nice review of the resort.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I spent 3 days 2 nights in Mataking Reef Dive Resort from 18th -- 20th Aug. 2013 and just come back home. My room no was PD10, the room was good, diving, cafe, the sea view, the night trekking... everything was wonderful there. But sadly, when I come back home, I found 500 U.S.Dollars was lost from my wallet ( there was 1600 Dollars when I checked in but I found only 1100 Dollars left in my wallet when I got home). Of course, the hotel had already reminded us to take care of the valuable belongings of ourselves and the best way is to leave it to the fronter but I really can not imagin that my cash will be lost in such a good Resort. I have no any evidence about who and when had taken the money from my wallet ( I had already put it in the drawer!) but I think the hotel should take a careful look to the staff who makes room setting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
PatrGG, General Manager at The Reef Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Huang X,

Thank your for choosing Mataking as your home for your last holidays.We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are sorry that your lost some money, although you are apparently not even sure where and when this money disappeared, so you may even have lost it after you left the resort.

As you noted, all our valued guests are reminded to take care of their valuables. We are providing a safety box in every guest room to this purpose.
Alternatively, there is also a safe at the front desk should the guests prefer this solution or if a room safe is unavailable for maintenance.
Therefore we cannot take any responsibility for lost valuables.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

To celebrate our 50th birthdays my husband & I booked a very special holiday to Borneo: visiting Sepilock to see the Orang-Utans, Seligan Island to see the Turtles and the Kinabatangan River & Tabin Nature Reserve to view even more wildlife.

After a very hectic few days, with 2 teenagers in tow, we spent the final 'relaxing' part of our holiday on the beautiful Island of Mataking. Wow - paradise on earth! We couldn't have chosen a more perfect location

We had booked 2 King Chalets, both of which were located directly on the beach front. The accommodation was huge and the view looking out to sea, watching the sunset, was breath-taking. The toweling bath-robes and complimentary toiletries added a touch of luxury and it was great having a small fridge within the room to chill a bottle of wine! We noticed that 5 new Chalets are being built on the other side of the Island. At no time did the construction work disturb our stay.

All the staff were incredibly friendly and made us feel very welcome. The food was very varied and if a dish ran out, the kitchen staff replenished it very quickly. Tea/coffee/water/squash were freely available throughout the day.

The snorkelling from the Island was fantastic although there were a lot of jelly fish in the sea on our last day, which made swimming a little painful.

We were lucky enough to witness the release of baby turtles into the sea one evening and on another occasion, a member of staff informed us that a turtle had come onto the beach to lay her eggs. Fantastic experiences.

We enjoyed the use of the Pool Room (didn't see anyone else use it throughout our stay) and enjoyed watching the Chinese make use of the karaoke area!

Any negative points? Well, only one or two:

We found the music too loud & intrusive at dinner time. One of the members of staff played a keyboard and sang 'easy-listening' genre songs. Whilst we liked the choice of music, the sound was so loud that we couldn't hear each other speak! We noticed that the speakers were suspended from all parts of the restaurant ceiling, so requesting a different location would not have helped.

As mentioned in previous posts, it is sad to see so much litter washed up on the beaches surrounding the Island. The areas around the resort are kept immaculate, but you don't have to walk too far before you come across piles of plastic bottles etc.

The water in the jacuzzi was chilly - even though it was meant to have been heated prior to our use.

The poor peacocks looked very sad caged within their small enclosure. The Resort would be much enhanced if they were no longer present.

But these points are but minor. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and only wish we could have stayed longer.

4  Thank Pyrkies

Dear Pyrkies,

Thank you very much for your review. We are delighted that you selected Mataking as your second home for your holiday and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for your constructive review. We will definitely take it into consideration.
Instructions have already been given to lower the sound level at the restaurant. And for information, our sea water jacuzzi is not heated, but the sea water temperature is about 28 degrees all year round.

Thank you again for visiting Mataking and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

The Management Team.