Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills
$119
$112
Travelocity
  • Pool
DZH Health Resort Club(Genting Highlands)
$45
$62
$46
  • Restaurant
All reviewstaking photosadventure parknice environmentfresh airberjaya timesshort tripbeautiful scenerynice viewperformancearcherynature
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Never come again to this place! I expect can stay a wonderful christmas eve in this hotel, but finally it is very disappointed to my family. First, there is not too much of decoration for the christmas, the only christmas tree have no light at night. The most cheating part is all the restaurant was closed,only one is open. So all the people have to take a long long queue and take long long time to have the dinner. Some more you have to wait outside during raining. I ask the hotel receptionist, she told me that suppose hotel want the hotel guest "MUST" take their dinner party which charge one person need RM200++, that's why they close all the restaurant. I have never encounter this kind of service before. How could they force the guest must the the package. IT IS NOT CHEAP AT ALL!!! Everything play or selling at there is very EXPENSIVE. The is a stage at there, but have no show during the christmas eve, what a disappointed. The room is quite old, not too much of maintenance. When I want the boil hot water, I found have to put the kettle on the FLOOR because the stupid plug at very low place on the wall, the desk cannot move, cause the wired cannot get through, so you must put on the floor. The window totally cannot open, there is an another wood window at outside. Unfortunately, one of the wood window block my view. The room is quite dark too. The breakfast they provide so so only. You have to wait because of the small space. Every place you want to visit you have to pay even you are hotel guest. I bought one soft drink can (100 Plus) cost me RM4.50!!! Really chop visitor head....bloody....

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Q_Q_Calvin
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I had been visiting this place few days ago. I was quite worried at first seeing quite many negative comments about it.
I found out this place actually wasn't that bad, instead, I was quite enjoyed for staying there.
I booked a family room. It was spacious, clean and comfortable.
This place was chilly in the early morning and night. I found it was quite warm in the noontime.
I will suggest you guys to have at least a night staying here. Because the view of this village at night is totally different and more attractive.
Tasty food over there, yet it was expensive. Every meal would cost you at least RM30++
Anyway, it's still a great place to visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank IsaacGoh90
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Colmar Tropicale Resort, up on Berjaya Hills (also referred to as Bukit Tinggi) is an odd transplant of faux French architecture thrown in with restaurants with French names. It's supposedly reminiscent of Colmar in France but really, there's nothing French at all about the place. A bonjour or two from the service staff would have been nice at the very least but hey, it is smack in equatorial Malaysia and at an altitude that affords some morning mist and a slight chill in the breeze when the sun goes down.

I was there for just a night, to attend a work event so I can't quite comment on the room prices (which varies largely on the website, very seasonal dependent). It was a short trip but I think I was able to see most of what the resort had to offer, so yes, sightseeing options are a tad limited.

First up, there's an Info Desk where you can check up on what attractions are available. Almost everything is charged (even if you're a guest) and because you're essentially in the middle of nowhere, be prepared to spend a bit if not for the attractions, then for food.

There's quite a few physical outdoor to-do's and a range of sightseeing places such as a Japanese Garden, an Animal Park (which I did visit and enjoyed), a Horse Trail, and at the sister hotel (Berjaya Hills Golf and Country Resort), a sports complex which houses a bowling alley, archery range, and gym. There's also a pool and small gym at Colmar Tropicale itself.

A walk around the resort will yield some interesting sights as well. There's some nice vantage points to just sit and enjoy nature, and the water features sports some fauna that's not often seen, such as these black swans. If you're in for a leisurely getaway, well, it's not that bad but then, there are cheaper more exciting places to go to (and which are more accessible). Although just an hour from the city, it's an arduous drive up winding (and dangerous) narrow roads.

Colmar Tropicale

The resort mimics a street in the French city with numerous buildings flanking the main cobbled thoroughfare. The ground floor houses a commercial operation such as restaurants, souvenir shops, and an arcade while the upper and lower floors are the hotel rooms. I checked online and it doesn't easily show how you can select your building but I will ask for the newer and more recently renovated rooms.

Over the short 1.5 days I was there, I experienced gray skies, sunny weather, and a beautiful misty morning. It's a remarkable contrast of which I happily photographed.

The Room (Euphorbia block)

After reading some scary reviews online (with even nastier photos), I was tremendously relieved to get a really nice room. It's clean, smart, and looks pretty new though the white veneers are not going to age well (it's already peeling and flaking in places).

Let's start off with the bed. It wasn't the most comfortable but it wasn't bad. And thank you for having four pillows. Furnishings are nice and functional though TV reception is snowy.
The closet is nice too though a little small but there's ample space in the room so it's no biggie. The room had a balcony as well with a nice set of doors. And the view from the room is nice and calming.

The room has a ceiling fan in the event of cool weather but I had the AC running (it was pretty humid). The tacky light show is an annoyance though and I couldn't figure out how to get it turned off.

The Bath

Toiletries are run of the mill, nothing extraordinary here. No toothbrush/razor, just the basics. But the overall bathroom is really sweet... I am a fan of the simplicity, the use of concrete like tiles with marble and wood accents. Definitely a big like.

All in all, it's a room I wouldn't mind spending time in and in a resort that's good for a few hours of exploring, probably nothing more. Would I come again on my own? Perhaps, but only for the rabbits. Otherwise, the drive up is a major turn-off... if I'm going to brave such winding uphill roads, I might as well go to Genting instead.

PLUS:

Room is new, clean, and very pleasant.
French-theme is a nice change though very superficial.

MINUS:

Difficult to get to, roads are winding and dangerous.
No free WiFi in rooms (or anywhere for that matter).
Everything is charged, and food is overpriced.

Visit http://www.danjumbuck.com/2012/03/hotel-review-colmar-tropicale-berjaya.html for photos!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank danjumbuck
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed at the superior room at RM260 per night and it was horrible. Classic example of actual room looking totally opposite of those shown in the hotel's website.
Arrived in a pair with my wife but was given a room with 2 single beds....
Room was very small with extremely basic amenities -worst than some of the shared dorm budget accommodation that i've stayed in...
Room had very old/musty smell including bedding and linen. Bed frame and table was dusty too.. Air conditioned wasn't really working as it wasnt cold even after setting it to the lowest temp. Bottom line is, everything is run down and falling apart.
Will definitely not return and will not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank MaxTNP
Reviewed March 26, 2012

back to nature.. peace.. my daughter said its like 'palace'..
nice place to visit.. i with my family stayed at 1 bedroom apartment and its very huge .. its huge and comfortable. b/fast provided and the outlet offers a variety of food. from pizza, steak, spaghetti, and the nite was wonderful with the magic show,etc. its very good experience to ride on the tram to the jap tea garden... exhausted but its really free my mind from thinking the hectic of town... pretty sure will come back..

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family