“Peace and Quiet” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bay of Plenty Lodge
CNMI
“Peace and Quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Bay of Plenty was exactly what I wanted; peace and quiet. This resort you will not find the white sandy beaches, aqua blue ocean, or room amenities. If you want to lean about the Fijian culture, the people, the history, life in a Fijian village well you have come to the right place. I stayed for 7 nights in my own bure on a hill. My bure had a toilet and shower and sink and two beds and that was it. You need to bring your own towels, soap, shampoo, etc. Only cold water flows from the tap and feels great when you’re hot. All meals were taken at the main structure where they would prepare each meal. Your view when you are eating is of the ocean. All meals were delicious and I was served more then enough. Some of the foods I had were: pancakes, fried rice, fresh fish, big and little clams, papaya, watermelon, cucumber, pineapple, potato, cassava, jam, butter, coffee, tea, powdered milk, sugar, etc. Things I did was walk through the village, hike to the top of a high hilltop (did not make it all the way as the rains came). Visit a local school and watch the students on Friday play rugby and netball. During the full moon the bay empties and I was able to walk for a while around 11am in the bay. Had a picnic on the sand. I read most of the time and slept. Did not swim once or lay in the sun. Now for the best part are the wonderful people who run the resort. Reading the other reviews it seems there are always different people to cater to your needs and to cook. Four young girls ages 17-22 took care of my needs and were the nicest young ladies you will ever meet. Jerry and Rosa were the adults in charge and were sweet as could be. Jerry had dinner with me twice so I would not eat all my meals alone. Matacawalevu Island is about the last stop on the ferry. Loved my time spent there and now call my new Fijian friends family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank David S

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Abbotsford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Most people come to the Yasawas looking for beaches and snorkelling. Those activities don't occur on your doorstep at Bay of Plenty, but I was more than happy to see 10 species of birds from my veranda in an hour, and explore the flats and mangrove edge at low tide photographing herons, shorebirds/waders, and terns, and marine life such as sand sifting seastars and yellow-clawed fiddler crabs. I also enjoyed the 2 km walk to Long Beach along the trail passing through the village and past traditional gardens. Along the way were other creatures of interest included golden silk orb-web spiders and a green elmo skink. This place was the highlight of my trip to the Yasawa Islands.

Room Tip: The farthest (most northeasterly) bure is the most secluded and the two farthest ones have the best...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ken S
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Fiji without a beach? What? OK…stay with us. Bay of Plenty may not have a flashy white sand beach, many palm trees or a coral reef…but what it does have is a rarer and more valuable commodity, an incredible amount of peace and quiet. The hilltop bures offer the best view you’ll get in the Yasawa’s, and at the bottom of the hill you’ll find Wendy and the helpful staff ready to make your stay a memorable one. Bring a good book, find a hammock and just unwind – with a location this spectacular….the beaches can wait.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bridget R
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wonderful place, amazing food, wonderful people, we are not the party type and were delighted to stay in this very special place. We hope to be back. We stayed at Bay of Plenty almost a week and enjoyed each and every minute. If you want to be the only tourists on the island and don't mind walking 25 minutes to go to the beach (although the bungalows face the bay, you cannot really swimm there), go there !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JamyT_12
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Bay of Plenty resort is small and personal. I felt like I was part of the family. The simple bures are on top of a hill with a fabulous view. On the first day there was a problem with the shower and the lovely Maria carried a huge bucket of water up the hill so that I could wash. I felt very humble. It turned out one of the farm workers had cut the pipe and hadn't told anyone. Food was plentiful and delicious - lots of fresh fruit and veg from the farm and the most delicious pineapple and papaya I have ever tasted. Not too much meat which was perfect as far as I am concerned. The fish picnic on the beach with fish freshly caught by Maria and the boys was worth getting (very) hungry for. The walk through the village and the jungle to the other side of the island is very special. I visited three resorts in the Yasawas and this was my favourite and one to which I will definitely return when I visit Fiji again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank flf_66
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Bula vinaka

I stayed six days in may 2012. I choose Bay of Plenty (BOP) because it seemed one of the most out of touristic circuits of the Yasamas. At the arrival, I was doubtfull because this little resort is facing a bay, without direct access to a beach.

The little houses where you stay are on the top of a hill from where you dominate the whole bay, with extraordinary view. After the first night, I was already in the "Plenty" mood, just relax.

Our host, Mr Sevu, was all there to serve and take care of our comfort. He his a great cook and I had my best meals in Fiji, doing little miracles out of few local ingredients, fish and vegetables grown on a farm, just at the back of the resort.

Take a kayak and cruse around. There, you will find magnificient beaches with no one around. You can also walk for hours at low tide and enjoy this beautifull place.

Don't leave without visiting the farm. Miriama, Setoki, Joe and Mili, very generous people, and hard workers on the farm.

BOP is not only a beautifull place for relaxing and having good food, it is also and most for the people. I left a familiy there !

Vinaka vakalevu, BOP and Sevu

Charles

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Charles T
Graz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I normally don't write reviews but for Bay of Plenty I definitely'd like to make an exemption. I've been travelling for several months now but these days at Bay of Plenty were the best:
1. Food: The meals were delicious! Freshly prepared Fijian coconut pancakes and fruit for breakfast, light lunch and fresh amazing seafood every day for dinner. If you are lucky they take you out for a picnic on a lovely beach and show you how to prepare the catch of the day on open fire. This picnic was only one of the many highlights.
2. Accomodation: I stayed in one of the nice bures located on a hill overlooking the whole area. I lack the words to describe the feelings when you wake up in the morning and the first thing you see is one of these great sunrises. Another remarkable detail: Staff will beat the drum to announce that meals are ready.
3. Activities: Check out the list on the webpage www.bayofplenty.com.fj. There is plenty of things you can do. Of course, there might be better beaches than the one just in front of the dining area but they will take you out by boat to all these tropical dream beaches. I loved to paddle to the Blue Lagoon in a modern kajak. I would definitely recommend hand line fishing and - above all - spear fishing.
4. People: Fiji itself is an wonderful place but it is the family and staff members at Bay of Plenty that make this place unique. You gave me such a warm welcome and I really felt at home. A huge thank you that comes from heart to you all - Jerry and Rosa, Sevu, Mosese and Paul, Maria, Sisi, Wendy, Nana, Taki, Misi and all the Bay of Plenty kids. I love you all and miss you!
To cut a long story short: At the beginning I intended to spend two days at Bay of Plenty. It turned out to be five nights. If you are looking for the big party and the artificial Fiji resort world you should go somewhere else but if you are looking for the genuine, authentic and amazing Fiji you should go to Bay of Plenty. I left this place as a happy man. Gerold Maximilian Oberhumer (Austria)

Room Tip: Take one of the bures on the hill.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Barefoot Manta Island
Barefoot Manta Island
#1 of 1 in Drawaqa Island
Mantaray Island Resort

Been to Bay of Plenty Lodge? Share your experiences!