“Rusty Wallace Racing Experience”

Rusty Wallace Racing Experience
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Fontana
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Cars were junk, poorly organized, SD card video junk. We participated at Pikes Peak Raceway in June. They had my group in their cars and I had to wait for a car to come in that was set up for the video. That was a waste because my video was just a head on shot of me and not the split screen of the view out of the car. I've driven a stick all my life and it took me a 1/4 of a lap to get in 3rd. I have a friend that went a few weeks ago and his car didn't have a 3rd gear and his video didn't have sound. Another friend did a ride-along and his 1st choice of a helmet was full of sweat and his car broke down during his ride-along. We had a car in our group put in the wall, so we had 3 of our laps under caution. The advertise that if this happens you still get your full amount of green flag laps, that didn't happen. Don't waste your money on this. There are plenty of quality racing schools out there.

11  Thank DANNY M
There are newer reviews for Rusty Wallace Racing Experience

Reviewed October 4, 2012

After being gifted the experience in February, it took three separate visits to the track to finally have the experience. The first time I tried to go for the ride-along and I ended up waiting for over FOUR HOURS at the track before being told that they were out of time and I would have to re-schedule. On my rescheduled date I was halfway to the track before I received a call that the event was being rescheduled due to weather. Last night I finally got to ride along... after waiting at the track for more than 2 hours. After being promised 4 laps by the groupon, the experience only delivered 3. Here is what you need to know

-The safety equipment is old or non-existent (tears in fire suits, missing visors on the helmets, and no Hans device)
-Their cars have frequent breakdowns - (4 of the 8 broke down last night)
-The management of this company does not know how to schedule an appropriate number of people for each time slot, you WILL wait or have to reschedule if it gets too late.
-Cameras in all of the cars were broken every time I went, and the photographers had no idea who they were supposed to take pictures of.

If you want my advice, avoid doing business with this company like the plague. There are plenty of other businesses that provide this same service, and do it safer and more professionally. I did the thunder racing experience with Fast Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway and it was AMAZING - complete opposite of my experience with Rusty Wallace.

13  Thank M S
Reviewed September 25, 2012

First off, our experience was in Oswego NY, not California. Luckily I got this through Groupon for my husband, so for the $49 I paid for a 4 lap ride-a-long was worth it. He had a great time. HOWEVER - it was a very shoddily run operation. We went with a friend who bought the 15 lap driving experience with the DVD - a total of $350. First of all, when we chose the venue, they never mentioned that it's a short track so nothing like what they're home page says. The cars were over 20 years old and actually cars from local track drivers, not real nascar cars like they say.

First - we scheduled on a Saturday. Then we got an email saying Saturday looked like rain, and there were still openings for Sunday so I called and spoke with a person at the 800# and they changed the time to Sunday. Then when we arrived, they didn't even have his name down! I admit they were accommodating and said it wasn't a problem.

The track was disgusting – there were garbage bins overflowing throughout the entire indoor and outdoor areas. I’m not sure if they had a race the night before or not, but you would think having an event with a national name would have justified at least taking out the garbage. The whole place was very run down and had a neglected feel to it.

They gave us this excuse of being short handed but it was obviously more than that. Upon registration we were told to go to a specific area in the bleachers and our number would be called. After waiting a while and not hearing any numbers called for anyone, we went to the person working at the track crossing and asked. They said - oh we're not doing that here - don't wait up there or you'll never go.

So we went to the pit area and walked around for 10 minutes looking for someone who knew what was going on. EXTREMELY unorganized. We eventually got one person who told my husband just grab a helmet and stand over there. After another half hour of waiting while not really understanding what was going on, he finally got his ride. He had a great experience and really enjoyed it.

Then it was our friend’s turn. He had taken the necessary class and got in his car to drive. When he pushed the clutch in, the car automatically jumped forward. He owns a farm and also pours commercial concrete for a living – knows his way around vehicles and immediately knew something was wrong. His time on the track was successful and enjoyable.

Unfortunately, one of the other people driving at the same time didn’t have such a good experience. He was of average height and build, and when he got in car, he couldn’t reach the pedals. They gave him 3 pillows to put behind his back. When he was coming off the track after the race, his brake went to the floor and he hit the car in front of him. The people on the track assessed the damage and told him he needed to pay $1,000 in damage.

Personally, I doubt the entire car was worth $1,000. He was in his early 20’s and had only a friend there with him. The person in charge of the event called the owner of the car (so much for it belonging to the Rusty Wallace Race Experience), and the owner agreed to pay for half of the damage. We felt he shouldn’t pay for any but he was so shook up I think he just wanted to get out of there and actually signed for $500 to be charged to his credit card.

Overall my husband and friend thought it was an ok experience – but if I were Rusty Wallace I would be ashamed to have my name tied to an operation run so poor

12  Thank Laura H
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I participated in the event at Michigan International Speedway. The other reviews cover the pros and cons of the event fairly well. It's an intersting experience but there was a major screw-up for me. I showed up at the pits wearing ear plugs, but was asked to remove them by the RWRE personnel so that I could "hear the radio". I wasn't fond of the idea, but I thought they must know what they are doing.

My hearing was damaged. I now have the constant buzz of tinnitus in my ears. I contacted RWRE and did get a call back. They admitted that their policy is to have people drive without earplugs, but they claimed that the cars and radios aren't loud enough to do damage. They are wrong. Don't get into one of those cars without protection.

5  Thank M S
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I bought my deal through living social and the entire exrerience was great. My race was at Michigan International Speedway. I bought the extra insurance with the idea that's all I'd buy; I ended up doing the three lap ride along which was cool because it got me used to the track before my 12 lap shootout and let me experience 170 mph! I can't for the next time they offer this deal for 250!

1  Thank alieid