“English type pub”

Churchill Arms Bar
Ranked #149 of 280 Restaurants in Folsom
Cuisines: British
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a pub that is basically British in that it serves British food and beers. The food is typical of an English pub and is great comfort food. The problem is that it borders on becoming an American restaurant that serves some English food. I don't mean to infer that it is not a fun place to eat English style and savor English beers, but the cliental seem to treat it as an American bar and it detracts from the British atmosphere. I definitely would go back just for the food and beer.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

My husband suggested that we join some of his buddies who own MGs for their annual Christmas event at the British pub in Folsom. After I read reviews on another website, I was less than enthusiastic about eating there. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Both my husband and I tried the fish and chips, and both of us thought the fish was excellent. My husband usually orders fish and chips whenever he sees it on a menu, so he is something of an expert on the dish. We both thought that this pub's fish might be the best, or at least one of the best, that we have ever tasted. The slab of fish was about seven inches long and three or four inches wide. In addition, it was a thick piece that was moist and not overcooked. The breading was minimal, and I liked the tartar sauce. The french fries were thick cut and mediocre. The pub has a broad range of beers, some of which are of very high quality. My husband says Smithwick's is the best. Order food and drinks at the bar. The pub was full on the Wednesday night we visited, with groups playing darts on both sides of the dining area. It looks like a great place to meet people but is not the kind of place for a quiet conversation.

Been to Churchill Arms Bar? Share your experiences!