“Not worth the wait”

Chops Steak Seafood & Bar
Ranked #194 of 268 Restaurants in Folsom
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: This restaurant is about one month old and is the second Chops to open in the Sacramento metro area.
“Not worth the wait”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

I tried to have dessert here with my girlfriend. It was very busy. The staff were far from helpful...we stood near the door for nearly 30 minutes without anyone asking us if we needed anything. Luckily for us, we had eaten at Via Roma in Rocklin prior to our arrival. Otherwise, we would have been very hungry. I have travelled far and wide and almost always give the restaurants that I choose the benefit of the doubt; but tonight, Chops failed miserably. I have eaten at a Chops Restaurant in the past, and the food is a step up from Sizzler. I will give it two thumbs up for the decor, but I cannot endorse this restaurant and strongly encourage readers to avoid it at all costs.

• Visited December 2013

Pollock Pines, California
“Pretty Good Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Last night we tried this place and we were pleased with what we experienced. We ordered the dinner for two which included a porterhouse steak for two; crab cakes; glazed carrots; and an additional side-we had potatoes. It also came with a very delicious deme glaze and we paid an extra $8 to have our steak Oscar style with a sauce and crab meat. We also stared with a salad which to me was a bit rich bit my husband loved it. We didn't order drinks but we heard they are really good.
I do have to say that the other reviews of waiting in the beginning are TRUE. We would've waited also but I had read the reviews and asked for our server after about 15 plus minutes of not having even bread. They apologized very sincerely and after that the service was very good and pleasant.
We will go back but probably not order such a decadent spread. We would like to try the burgers and I'd like to try more of the salads. You will be please to try this place!
We

northern california-east bay
“Soggy sandwich and SLOW service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have been meaning to try out Chops restaurant located in the Palladio center by the theater, so tonight was the night and we went in without a reservation. They had a wait list for a Sunday night -- even though it wasn't even 6pm yet (there were vacant tables) so we decided to eat a lighter meal in the bar area-- and they do allow you to order off the regular menu there. After waiting for over ten minutes the bartender who was the only person working the entire area came over and wanted our drink order - we asked for water which took another ten minutes. It appears management needs to figure out their staffing needs! When he finally came back with the water we figured we better order or die of hunger so we chose the crab and artichoke sandwich and the AHI appetizer. Another ten minutes for the ahi which really disappointed me as it looked good but had no flavor-- it was dry also. Asked for some marinade but that didn't help in the flavor dept. Another ten minutes after we finished the appetizer the sandwich came-- the bread was toasted on only one side which resulted in the other side being soggy. It tasted ok but soggy -so if you like soggy this is fine place for you because the bartender admitted that is how they prepare the sandwich. The onion rings I had were barely warm which makes me think the order had been sitting too long. $15 for each sandwhich plus $15 for the ahi -- with tax $48 for a marginal meal. We won't be back.

• Visited December 2013
Folsom, California, United States
“After Being Seated we Sat for 20 Minutes!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Superior Service at a place like Chops - where you are buying a $35 Filet is paramount. In our case it was non-existent. I kid you not, the hostess sat us and there we sat. When the waterboy came by to fill our glasses a second time we asked him if there was a server assigned to our table. Once we finally had someone, to her credit the service was solid.

Follow that up with a situation mentioned in other reviews. We ordered an item, in this cake crab cakes, and were then informed they were out. At 7pm on a Saturday night? Seriously? The ahi poke we ordered instead was average at best.

The highlight was the wine (2009 BV Tapestry) and the Filets (well-cooked) but the damage had been done. A $200+ dinner for two should not have gaffes like this.

I don't anticipate being back any time soon. Too many other better options.

• Visited November 2013
“Chops Folsom is a huge disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My aging parents enjoy going out to dinner, so I thought Chops would be a perfect meeting place for us. My sister and husband also joined us. We dined there on Saturday evening, August 3rd, 2013 at 6 p.m. I was sure the place would be packed. It was the beginning of the month and the Palladio Movie theater is right next door. What a great location.

We arrived and were seated immediately. We ordered a bottle of wine. I had looked at their menu online earlier and told my mother I was having the Short Ribs Osso Buco over soft polenta. She loves Short Ribs too and planned to have as well.

We started to place our orders. My mother told our waitress she wanted the Short Ribs. The waitress told her they were out. What? I asked. Out at 6 p.m. on a Saturday evening?
Apparently they only make it once a week and it is a long process and they had a run on orders, etc. Well, both my mother and I were extremely disappointed.
I told the waitress she should have informed us of the shortage of short ribs when we first sat down.

What to have? We complained to the manager Don. He was apologetic and recommended the filet mignon. Three out of the five of us went with the 8 oz NY steak, my mother included. I ordered the filet mignon. One "medium rare" salmon,(as it is stated on the menu), was ordered.
All but one of the steaks were ordered Medium Rare.

Our dinner came. The New Yorks were not a good choice. Not sure if they cut their beef in the Folsom Chops, but who ever cut these were way off. My mother's steak was super thin and had a huge glob of fat attached. It as also well done. I am sure had they weighed it prior to cooking, it was no where near 8 oz . AND the amount of meat was more like three well done bites. She left hungry. My Dad's NY also had a large amount of fat. My brother in law's was ordered Medium Rare and his was completely raw. Unfortunately, my Filet was medium on one side so I sent it back.
My sister's supposedly medium rare salmon was well done.
When I finally got my replacement steak, everyone else was finished and my brother in law had already disgustedly departed.
The manager ended up taking two of the NYs and my filet off the bill, and giving us a $50 gift certificate.
I commend the manager for doing that, but bottom line, we would have preferred to have a fantastic dinner. Will we go back? Doubtful. It was not one of those "feel good" experiences.
Unfortunately, the negatives will always be remembered.
Also, note to self, if an upscale restaurant like Chops is not full on the first weekend of the month_there is a huge problem. Beware.
I love to give rave reviews, but can't in this case.

• Visited August 2013