“5 stars, and then some!”
Review of Chez Daniel - CLOSED

Chez Daniel
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Sacramento, California
“5 stars, and then some!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I have eaten at Chez Daniel twice in the past six months.

As others have described Chez Daniel has a fixed price menu which includes soup, salad, entree, and dessert, all for around $30 (actual prices varies $2-3 based on entree type).

There is a choice of two soups: french onion and vegetable, and there are about 10 entree choices (during our 2nd visit there were seven entrees on the menu plus three specials.

Each course was marvelous.

The french onion soup and vegetable soup were wonderful.

The steak and halibut dishes we ordered were excellent.

The desserts were creative and perfectly executed.

The chef walked through the dining room and chatted with diners at each table, shaking the mens' hands.

The waiter was very professional and knowledgeable about the dishes. When we left, he got to the door before we did and held the door open for us, wishing us a pleasant evening.

The food is a bargain, given the exceptional quality and number of courses. The service is top-notch.

This is not just a 5-star restaurant; this is a Max-star restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank ReviewBoySac

El Dorado Hills, CA
“Best dining experience in years.”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband took me here for my birthday after hearing about it from friends. The atmosphere is very inviting, with soft instrumental French music playing, white tableclothes and a relaxing decor. It reminded me so much of our trip to France 10 years ago. The service was impeccable. Allain is the only server, but he does a wonderful job serving 8 or so tables. I never wanted for service. He recommended an excellent wine for our entrees, and was very charming.

Entrees range from $25-30 and include soup and salad and dessert. They serve both French and California wines.

We started our dinner with soup. For a table of two, the chef sends one of each; French onion, and a vegetable creme soup. Both were delicious! The salad was dressed with a French herb vinaigrette. The bread was the most amazing french baguette I have had outside of France. Seriously, we had 3 baskets because it was fresh from the oven and had the perfect crisp texture outside. For our entrees, I chose the rack of lamb and my husband chose the pork tenderloin. Both were plated and served beautifully, and were cooked perfectly. My rack of lamb was accompanied by potatoes au gratin, and baby carrots and daikon. I can't remember what the pork loin came with because I was eating!

The desserts came shortly after. At Chez Daniel the chef chooses your dessert. Mine was a soft custard with meringue, completely delicious. My husband received an ice cream served in a martini glass with a peach/raspberry compote. I am totally guessing at the ingredients, but they were both wonderful.

After dinner, we chatted with Allain as he and my husband are both avid cyclists. Chef Pont came out from the kitchen and thanked us for coming. We will most enthusiastically be returning to Chez Daniel!

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank AngelaNguyen-Tan
CA
“An absolutely amazing restaurant!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Chez Daniel is an experience! It is an intimate place where you can actually hear one another talk and have a leisurely meal without feeling like your server wants to turn the table over quickly and move on. We went for girls night out and it was such a treat to linger and chat over an amazing meal.
As other reviewers noted, typically groups of 4 get 2 cream of vegetable soups and 2 French onion soups. We sampled one another's soups and both were wonderful. The salads were very simple and very fresh. We all liked the tangy dressing. And, the bread was a really outstanding treat! For our entrees, we went with the server's recommendations for what was freshest--2 of us went with the New York steak with carmelized onions, 1 with the chicken special, and 1 got the prawns and scallops. All were impeccably prepared and incredibly tasty. For dessert we each got something different and they were chosen with the entree in mind. We got cherries jubilee (amazing), creme brulee (amazing), flan (ok but not as amazing) and the floating island (ok but not as amazing...kind of bland). We also shared a bottle of recommended wine that was perfect.

The service was wonderful in that he was kind, helpful, and actually really witty. Was he lightning fast? No. He is the only one serving and we were not the only table on a Saturday night. Was he attentive? Absolutely. Was he knowledgable? Absolutely. We found him charming and he really made the evening even more of a delight.

This is the place to go for a wonderful evening of lingering, talking, and really enjoying a phenomenal meal at an outrageously reasonable price. We will definitely be back!

3 Thank sunnyCA28
Shingle Springs, California
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and myself heard about Chez Daniel from our son. He always raved about the soups and sandwiches he experienced at the downtown location. The ambience of the restaurant was great! Imagine being able to dine and only having to speak in a regular toned voice. With the background music, we felt as though we were back in Paris. The entire meal was wonderful from start to finish. We had two soups, vegetable and French onion, followed by our salad. My wife choose the NY steak with carmelized onions and I had the crusted rack of lamb. Both were done to perfection. Our desserts were pear with raspberry and poached egg white with vanilla sauce and caramel. We've already decided to return for our anniversary dinner.

2 Thank dawgman51
Sacramento, California
“A special restaurant, fine dining, in an unexpected place”
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Arrived to find 9 tables in a small, intimate, quiet restaurant located in a strip mall. It is essentially a 2 man show. Chef Daniel running the kitchen and his partner greeting, seating, and serving all tables. You select an entree and it comes with soup, salad, and desert. All elegantly prepared with the freshest ingredients. Perfect portion sizes. Very personal service. Don't go there an expect to be in and out of dinner in 45 minutes. Plan on a few hours and you will be treated to a most memorable dining experience. The onion and vegetable soups were perfect, salad very fresh, duck in currant sauce was perfect, pork tenderloin was also excellent, cherries jubilee was to die for. Just remember to take cash or bring your checkbook, no credit cards. They have a dress code, you will be most comfortable in business attire. Make a reservation. I can't wait to return.

2 Thank ranishi