WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, California
“Cozy for the Holidays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed here with my husband, in-laws and grandparents-in-law for Thanksgiving 2009. It was the perfect place to enjoy our holiday stay. The Lodge was all decorated for Christmas and they offered free little cups of hot chocolate every evening to enjoy in their large, but very cozy, lobby.

Our room was also very cozy. The only thing we didn't care for was having to walk through the pool area to get to the lobby and restaurants in the main area of the hotel. That chlorine smell was very strong!

I enjoyed the fitness room during our stay. Cold water and towels were provided as well as a locker room.

I had the hiker's delight foot treatment at the spa, which was very relaxing and wish I had time for more treatments!

Overall, we all thoroughly enjoyed out stay and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,024)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ocean View, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

This was a very nice lodge/hotel with roomy cottages. We were, however very disappointed with the "so called" better restaurant called Embers. First of all the server was like a robot; fake smile and ridiculous manner. Just treat me like a regular person and give good service. We ordered the lobster bisque and that was very good but it was downhill from there. The caeser salad was made by our server at our table and that was not good, but the worst part of all was our entre. We both ordered salmon and asked that it be cooked medium rare, but when brought to our table was raw, really raw. I didn't ask for sushi for God's sake. The sauce was cajun and so overpowering that you couldn't taste the fish. The vegetables were hard and tastless as well. The wine was good, but at $14 a glass not superior. The cost for our dinner with tip was $206. I think that was very expensive for a dinner we didn't enjoy. If this hotel cannot provide quality restaurants, I don't see us going there again, nor would we recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
YMoreno, Executive Chef at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
As the Executive Chef at Tenaya Lodge, I wanted to let you know that your concerns have reached my attention and I take the matter very seriously. I am very sorry to hear of your experience with respect to the food quality in our restaurants. I hope you will accept my very sincere apology for our mistakes. This is certainly not consistent with the very high standards we set for ourselves. As a result, I will be meeting with my culinary team to review these issues so that we can ensure this does not happen in the future.

At Tenaya Lodge, our goal is to provide nothing less than an exceptional experience for every one of our guests. When we fall short of that goal, as in your case, we take the matter very seriously.

Very Sincerely,

Executive Chef

Frederick B. Clabaugh CCC Prochef 11
White Plains, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2010

We arrived at Tenaya not knowing what to expect... the reviews on Trip Advisor were very mixed. In all fairness - we were very suprised.... The hotel was nicer than we expected. We arrived with our family (2 adults and 3 kids ages 8 - 10). We stayed in the main building. Our room had 2 double beds, pullout sofa and we were able to add a rollaway to our room.
A bit tight, but really fine for us (and we were able to avoid having to get an extra room).
The rooms were furnished nicely. Had a desk & chair for working as well as a club chair.

i viewed it as a pretty standard, updated hotel room. Nothing fancy.
Concierge provided standard service

One note about its location: It is far from Yosemite Valley. But we found that most accommodations are far from the valley floor. Once you accepted the distance, the hotel itself was fine. The restaurants are ok.. the breakfast buffet was adequate (not over the top). Tip: We were able to pay only a slighter higher rate for our room so it would include 2 adult breakfast buffets each day. At $15 per person... it was a good deal...

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Rkg4
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed at the Tenaya Lodge while visiting Yomesite NP. It is a perfect location just a few miles outside the park. It was a bit on the expensive side although you get what you pay for so was worth it. The food & rooms were great and would recommend it as a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Breda, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

Stayed here for a few nights when visiting Yosemite. As others have mentioned although it is located close to the southern entrance it still is quite a drive to Yosemite Valley (45min without and 90min with roadworks).

I had a room in one of the cottages. These are located on a separate plot next to the hotel, not really on the hotel grounds.

The room itself was quite nice and quite big. No problems there.

What I didn't like was the quality of service I got from the staff and a few other things like:
- at checkin forgot to give me a key, but did give me the minute(s) long talk about all the restaurants they had and some other useless info. I had to drive back to the hotel, got the key (first gave me the keys from another room) but no apology.
- when I arrived it was late and already dark, not easy to find your way in the cottages especially since the signs aren't lit and very small.
- no reserved parking with the room (how difficult would it be to put a roomno at each parking space. Now I had to park quite some distance from my room, twice.
- Turning off the AC and fridge. Room was quite warm and took hours to cool while I wanted to go to bed, and no cool drinks before morning. Trying to save a few bucks at the expense of guest comfort.
- no free internet.

Since I read the reviews about the food here, didn't try any of the restaurants.

You don't have much choice if you want to stay close to Yosemite and it wasn't bad. But could be so much better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

Greeted by an exceptionally friendly concierge and reception staff. Offered choice of three different room types, and shown around each.
Large clean room with all amenities required for our stay. Good bathroom.
Bar and restaurant service friendly, prices okay for a lodge stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Wokingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2010

If you want a hotel which is dark, dingy and in need of an update, then this one is for you.
The room we had was very tired, the decor very dated. There was also a problem with noise from other rooms.
The purpose of our visit was to see and explore Yosemite, which was wonderful, but we did not look forward to returning to this hotel in the evening and were glad to leave after two nights.
If you do go this hotel avoid the Pizzeria - we ate off paper plates!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
#3 of 3 in Yosemite National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,998 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Gateway Inn
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!