“Mountain Lodge”

GreenLeadersGold level
Perth, Australia
“Mountain Lodge”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Beautiful location, great mountain lodge experience. Friendly staff who offer lots of knowledge on the Yosemite region. However were not allowed to check in early. Would recommend to others- indoor heated pool and spa, reasonable gym, good gift shop, great bar.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

PropertyExecutive, Public Relations Manager at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with your check-in experience, but are pleased that you had a great stay overall. Hope to see you on your next trip to the US!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,125)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed four nights at Tenaya Lodge and had a lovely time, but we did not make use of the pool/spa/weight rooms, so can't comment on that. We found the staff to be very helpful and pleasant, and the maid service was fine. This is a family/dog friendly hotel so some noise can be expected, but even though we retire quite early (10:00PM or so), we were not troubled by people noise. Our room was across from the elevator and next to the guest laundry room - never ideal from a noise standpoint. I never heard elevator noise, but one night, all night, I did hear what may have been a dryer cycling on and off. I think it was broken as I saw an out of order sign on a dryer that was on the shared wall with our room the next morning. However, having laundry facilities for guests seems like a great amenity. We did not need to use it, but could imagine packing less next time and using it.

Our room was not in the main lodge, but on floor 2 of the other building, which is a ground level floor, so we had a chaise lounge outside our room on the grass. It was enjoyable in the late afternoons after hiking to sit outside and soak up some afternoon sun. We pulled a second chaise over so my husband could sit too and that was not a problem, but I think they could use additional outdoor seating by each room. Not much of a view - the back of the pool house - but still pleasant. We were at the Lodge May 1 - 5 - early in the season, so I did not have an expectation the pool would be open. The pool was closed when we arrived, but opened on day 3 of our visit. It looked inviting, but by the time we returned from our hiking in Yosemite we weren't very interested in using the pool. There were kids and families using it but even though our room was close to the pool we were not bothered by noise.

I ate 4 breakfasts at the hotel - all were good. I am not a big fan of all you can eat buffets, so ordered from the menu, but the buffets had lots of seasonal fruit as well as the usual complement of eggs, breads, meat etc. The service was always friendly, and some of the wait people were very efficient, while a couple were quite obviously new and in training. On Monday morning, about 9:30 we went to get breakfast before checking out. This was the only meal at the hotel at which we were asked to wait for a table - about 20 minutes. We were given a remote buzzer and went to wait in the lobby. After a half an hour or so, we realized we should have been called and went to see what was up. Sure enough, something had gone wrong and we were not in the system. They apologized and seated us immediately. Not sure what would have happened if we had not mentioned this to our waiter, but when we did the manager immediately came over and told us our meal would be comped. Our waiter had already invited us to help ourselves to fruit, breads or whatever from the buffet while we waited for our breakfasts ordered from the menu. We appreciated what both the waiter and the manager did.

Our other meals, at both Jackalope and the more upscale Sierra were good. In fact, my salmon at Sierra was excellent! Yes, the prices are on the high side, even for those of us used to San Francisco area prices, but you are a long way from "civilization" so I guess paying a bit more for a good meal can be expected. I had read some of the bad reviews on Yelp and so was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised, both by the quality of the food and of the staff. We took our own bottle of wine for dinner the night we ate at Sierra. There was a $15 corkage fee.

In summary, we would go back to Tenaya Lodge. It is looking a little tired (ragged, older carpet in the room, chips in paint on doors etc), but it is so convenient to the South entrance to the Park, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the food was fine so why not? The concierge was helpful with planning our hikes in the park - no complaints there. We might take our dog next time, although there are not many places you can hike with a dog in the park, so maybe not, but I like that the Lodge allows dogs.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room in the adjunct wing, not the main building, but it was very convenient to the ma...
Green Features: iRecycling bins are available and the usual signs ask guests to conserve water by turning off taps when not in use, reusing towels and bedding etc. It would be great if free filtered water could be provided to avoid use of expensive plastic water bottles.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hittheroadmama
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, hittheroadmama. We are pleased to hear that you and your husband had a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Despite the issue with the buzzer, it sounds like you received excellent service and we are glad that the situation was rectified to your satisfaction. We look forward to seeing you again!
Reviewed May 4, 2014

TO WHOEVER IS THINKING OF STAYING HERE PLEASE READ BEFORE. This was my first time in Yosemite and I have had heard many great things about the Tenaya lodge from my mother who has stayed here a few times in the past. It was my mom, brother , and I staying at the hotel for the weekend. Again, my mom has been to Yosemite a few times and had stayed here prior, but this was mine and my brothers first trip over here. As we pulled up to the hotel when checking in staff was very courteous and helpful. After checking in our room first thing we noticed was a big giant red stain on the floor. Big is an understatement. Also there was peeling paint on the mirror frame, in the bathroom, and walls. We put all of that aside as we were just happy to hit the mountains and hike for the weekend, but you would expect a little more considering the amount of cost per night. Also, considering I work in hotel/property management steam cleaning a carpet is not much out of their pocket. After a long hike in the cold snow as it was hailing/snowing the morning we had traveled up all that we were thinking about was to relax in the great jaccuzi we had read about online. Lone behold the "adult jaccuzi" was closed so we had gone In the overcrowded kids jaccuzi. Overcrowded is another understatement here. We still didn't want to let this ruin our trip as the hikes in the Yosemite valley earlier that day were truly amazing. We headed down to dinner to eat at Jackelopes bar & grill the first night. Before our water even made it to our table all 3 waters ended up on my lap and broken glass everywhere. Staff was very nice and friendly about it, but nothing compensated for me having to eat my dinner with wet jeans. I will have to say though that the service and staff was very friendly and nice, but just ridiculous. Breakfast buffet had good quality food, but was a bit overpriced for $25. Fast forward to after another long day of hiking and sitting in an jaccuzi crowded with loud kids and pee, we wanted to use the other amenities offered. My brother and I went to use the steamroom/sauna and what do you know the men's steamroom had a nice sign on it saying out of service. The sauna was very weak and barely had us sweating at all, I don't know if it was broken as well. We went back up to our room to shower and noticed house keeping had just made our beds, but forgot to remove all the previously used towels on the floor, provide new towels for us, replace toilet paper, replace coffee, and provide new shampoo/conditioner/body wash. I mean besides making the beds I'm not 100 percent sure what else they really did. Before we went down to dinner we order extra bed linen, which never arrived even hours after dinner. We had to call down 3 times to finally get the bed linen. For the second night of dinner we went to a different restaurant called Sierra. The food was good, but they managed to completely mess up on my moms order, while mine and my brothers food had come out as gentlemen we waited for our mom to get her food. By the time the food came out my rib eye was cold. Again the staff was very nice and apologetic, but it just seemed one thing after another was not going our way. Before dinner I went to the gym and have to say the equipment was new and nice, but the place was left a mess. Worse then any 24 hour gym I've seen. Weights, towels, and yoga mats were left everywhere. Even if the previous guests using the gym were not courteous enough to put everything back. For what your paying you would expect that they would have someone to freshen the place up once in awhile. Sunday morning breakfast we woke up early and were in a rush to get a hike in before checking out and driving our long trek home. We decided to go with the a la carte breakfast because we didn't want to stuff our faces before a long hike. We let the waitress know that we were in a rush, but 45 minutes later breakfast finally came out. The waitress was nice, but sure enough this time mine and my mothers orders were both completely wrong. SO FRUSTRATING! We let the lady know , but nothing much was done and after waiting so long for the order we didn't even care at this point and just wanted to get our morning hike in. The cost of this hotel was not worth the weekend we had experienced. I'm not saying spending a little money for receiving quality is an issue, but if your looking for a good hotel unfortunately this is not it. Not one thing was on-point and it was the complete opposite of a relaxing experience. While checking out the hotel I wanted to speak to the hotel manager who was not on-site at the time and I was told would be back in 15 minutes. We wanted to miss traffic so I provided my number and asked for a call back when shes available. I spoke to Melody on the phone for a few minutes explaining to her the situation as the call got dropped. I called back in and got put on hold for 10 minutes before finally reaching Melody again. Although she did provide a little compensation for the massive amount of headache the resort caused I don't think we will stay here again. Everything I read up online and everything my mom had experienced prior was the complete opposite. It's a shame because we were planning on coming back up in the next couple months because we really enjoyed Yosemite and wanted to find a hotel that we could constantly stay at when we travel up to Yosemite, but I don't think this well be it. The amount of frustration and stress this hotel has caused my family and I this past weekend is incomprehensible.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Joshua R
Joshua, thank you for sharing your thoughts. We are so sorry to hear you felt your first impression of Tenaya and your mother's return visit did not match her past positive experiences. We want every guest's stay to be exemplary, especially those who are repeat travelers with us. We would love to talk with you further. Please call us at 559-683-6555 and ask for Mindy Eichman.
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This place is a good alternative when traveling to Yosemite, good facilities, few miles away from south Yosemite Park Entrance. Rooms are nice, restaurants and breakfaast are very good. I would recommend asking for a room in high floor for having better views. In our room A/C was very noisy. Service was as good as expected, nothing outstanding.

We did not use spa services.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in higher floors and check if A/C is not too noisy.
Green Features: Not sure. I've seen separate trash bin in parking and rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for your feedback, aviroga. We are glad that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed your food, but sorry to hear that you experienced some noise issues and were not “wowed” by your service. As a Four Diamond resort, we work to provide above-and-beyond service to each guest. We appreciate your comments.
Roseville, California
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We would echo other reviewers in complimenting the friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and excellent location, about a 30 minute drive to the Valley. The rooms are, however, not soundproof, and if someone has on a loud tv next door, you will hear it. Also, children running and screaming in the halls can be heard as well.

We enjoyed the buffet breakfasts but twice had to send back entrees in the main restaurant: the shrimp was raw, and the brisket fat and off-tasting. There is a strange system for getting in to the three restaurants in the lodge: you check in at a screening desk and sit on a bench until a server gets to you. Not very efficient.

We would stay here again, but we'd probably stick to the hamburgers, etc. in the grill rather than paying for pricey entrees in the other restaurants.

It's unfortunate, but when visiting Yosemite one finds the lodging in the park is poor and overpriced. Tenaya Lodge is a decent choice, but expensive.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback, chymn. We are glad to hear you received excellent service and had a comfortable stay, but are sorry to hear you encountered some frustrations with noise from other guests and parts of your dining experience. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the reservation system, too – they will be passed on to our F&B team. Thanks again!
El Sobrante, California
Reviewed May 1, 2014

When I saw the Tenaya web page, I first thought that it was a glorification of a cheap knock-off of the Awannee Hotel in Yosemite Park. After having arrived at the hotel after a full day in the national park, my wife and I immediately warmed up to the place, our much more than suitable room, and the cozy environs of the hotel proper and its grounds. The staff was courteous and efficient, the bed was wonderful; even the food was top notch.

We would definately stay in the Tenaya Lodge again, if only to hike thru snow at Mariposa Grove in the early morning after a great night's sleep at the Lodge.

Green Features: Yes, they actually do the right thing in terms of energy conservation and recycling--very rare for most main-stream places in recreation areas.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback, RTK321. We are very glad you and your wife had a top-notch stay at Tenaya and look forward to seeing you again!
Wimauma, Florida
Reviewed May 1, 2014

My wife and I spent three nights at Tenaya while visiting Yosemite NP. It is a top notch facility with a friendly and helpful staff set in a scenic location. Rooms were well maintained, the bed quite comfortable and meals were nicely prepared. Our package included the breakfast buffet which offered good variety and changed featured items each day. We had dinner in two of the several restaurants and found the quality good but just a bit on the pricey side. Other choices are available off premises within 10 to 15 miles. Since it is located 2 miles from the South Entrance to Yosemite NP, the ride to Yosemite Valley is about an hour each way. However, Mariposa Grove where the giant Sequoias are found is very close to the South Entrance and the road to Glacier Points is located between the South Entrance and the Valley. While we did not use it during our stay the hotel also offers a full service Spa as well as many other activities for adults and children.

Green Features: Offered options for cleaning of towels and bedding
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, jimlve, and are pleased to hear that you had such a great experience with us. Thank you for your kind words for our staff – service is extremely important to us! We hope to see you and your wife again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fish Camp
White Chief Mountain Lodge
Chateau du Sureau
Chateau du Sureau
#1 of 9 in Oakhurst

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!