“Nice and relaxing”

GreenLeadersGold level
Monterey, California
“Nice and relaxing”
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

This is a wonderful place to stay. We always stay in the cottages because we travel with our dog. The cottages are so peaceful and comfy. The pool outside is wonderful. We usually visit in the winter and this was our first summer trip. Staff is nice and helpful. Only down side was the breakfast buffet. Everything was picked over and not up to the caliber you expect for the price you pay. A must stay, we look foreword to our next visit. Just gonna skip the buffet.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,102)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chichester West Sussex Uk
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had two wonderful days and nights at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite. Our lodge was called 'Dogwood' and was really splendid. It was fun to sit on the little porch and just smell the pine-scent of the woods out the back or watch the birds.i even saw an owl fly right overhead one afternoon! The smaller pool for the lodge, the laundry and hot tub were just down a hill from the lodge...easily walkable. We did our laundry there and detergents/softeners were easily available for a very small amount of money. We basked in the hot tub after a day's long drive. It was clean and nice. We changed in the loos there...all clean and large enough to change in too. The pool was warm and clean also. The walk down to the main hotel part was through woods on a pathway. The main part of the hotel is fabulous! The entry area is just fabulous....it has a welcoming front desk, a nice gift shop that we visited several times for postcards etc, and a small shop that sold sandwiches/small boxed salads , drinks etc that was handy for picnics out in Yosemite. The Jackalope restaurant served very nice food with very good service. Nothing was too much to ask for there....but be prepared for higher prices there. The main pool was being repaired/fixed up when we were there, but there was an outdoor heated pool that we didn't have time to visit. It sure looked nice though! This was such a fabulous stay that we wish we'd stayed a third or fourth night there. It would be a nice base to explore more of Yosemite , go for hikes/walks. and explore the pools/spa and eat more of their fine food there! I honestly cannot fault Tenaya for anything except perhaps that $15 per evening hike seems a little expensive for a hike' in the woods, and the dining costs...but then the food has to be transported in to this wonderful lodging in the woods & mountains, so it is understandable. It was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeanwats0n
TenayaLodge, Guest Relations Manager at Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Well, it sounds like we did meet your expectations, and maybe, then some! Thanks so much for your feedback -- we are delighted that you chose Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite and your stay with us was so memorable. See you next time!
Kirkby Stephen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and i enjoyed a very relaxing stay in the cottages attached to the main hotel. The hotel staff were friendly apart from the reception staff who seemed indifferent.
the Gym staff were excellent and the equipment in the gym was state of the art.
The staff in the pizza resturant were really great. The rooms were spacious and secluded.

Room Tip: Chose the cottages rather than the main complex
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2012

sited 2 miles away from the entrance to Yosemite National Park, Tenaya Lodge gives easy access to one of the worlds best attractions. The lodge itself has grand rooms, a gift shop, bars and multiple eating places.

We had to change our given rooms due to the shower being broken in the first one and though I wouldn't call them luxurious they were comfortable.

Staff were happy to advise and book any excursions for you but you do pay a premium. our 2 night stay gave us plenty of time to see a good portion of the park which was helped by the lodge being close to an entrance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy_Trish_11
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I were thrilled to be able to stay so close to Yosemite and have the fabulous accommodations of the Tenaya Lodge. We stayed in one of the cottages and were very pleased with the room. Nice to have a gas fireplace in our room and the indoor pool and hot tub were just steps away. We will be going again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Chiclana de la Frontera, Spain
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very slick , very professional hotel --very well run with (mostly) well trained staff-
Car is taken by valet parking on your arrival--luggage taken to room with no extra cost. Check in was quick --? perhaps the quickest ever!
Several dinning rooms to choose from , we ate in all of them--you have to book for Embers , but the standard was high.
It is not actually in the park , but 2 miles away--usually this would not matter but as there were major road works it was a bit of a bore. Do not expect to see all the park from this hotel. We entered the park at Lee Vinnings and it took us nearly 4 hours to get to Tenaya Lodge!
The swimming pool was spotless with very comfortable loungers and big fluffy towels. There is a shop that sells souvenirs , clothes , postcards etc.
Strangely there are no fridges in the rooms--this is our only criticism. There is a safe and coffee making machine , but no fridge.
As you would expect the rooms are large and very comfortable--I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tustin, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was my first time to Yosemite and a very different style of vacation I'm accustomed to. My wife and I usually travel to beach destinations but decided give the Tenaya Lodge a shot. To my surprise, we had a lot of fun the old fashioned way: outdoors, sunshine, crisp air, hiking. Here is a break down of my review of the Tenaya Lodge Hotel.

**Important note for all, there is NO 3G reception in most of the area for Verizon. It could be for all carriers, but not sure. Cell reception is fine but Verizon carriers will not have 3G for internet access.

Location:
Tenaya Lodge is located 2 miles from the South Gate entrance to Yosemite National Park. About 12 miles from the nearest town which contains a grocery store and various restaurants. There is also a small general store a mile down the street. Sequoia forest is about a 20 minute drive. Curry village, Yosemite Valley, and Glacier Point (Half Dome) are about a 60 minute drive. A vehicle is a definite must when staying here. They have shuttles, but they are very inconvenient.
Stop in Oakhurst for water and any other necessities because stores are limited once you get on top of the mountain.

Hotel Property:
The Tenaya is a beautiful hotel. It actually used to be a Marriott Hotel. There is a very large lobby with vaulted ceilings and a giant fireplace. It has a very comfortable, "cabin in the woods" type feeling. Parking is free and valet is complimentary. There are two sections of the hotel property, the main building and the cottages. This review will cover the main hotel.

Room:
As apposed to most of my vacations where I barely spend much time in my room, this is a very different type of vacation. Because there is no nightlife in Yosemite, I decided to spend a little more money on my room. I chose the Deluxe Room ($180/night). The main differences is space, view, and balcony, which I think was well worth it.
The room itself is decorated as if you were in a cabin so it's not the amazingly, modern, up to date hotel room. This is an old hotel that has been renovated. I would recommend staying on the 3rd floor because floors are not very noise proof. I was awakened every morning to the person above me walking around. Noise was a little bit of a problem. Walls and doors are thin. You will hear neighbors.
The bathrooms are pretty small but fully functional and water pressure in the shower is good.

Pool & Spa:
The pool area is large and includes two jacuzzis. It was too cold so I didn't use the pool but it looked nice.
The Ascent Spa was the highlight of my trip. They have a wonderful full spa that was amazing. I used the steam room, got a massage, and used the shower facilities. Showers are to die for, you have to try it. Ascent Spa is a must if you are staying at the Tenaya.

Hotel Restaurants:
The hotel has 3 different restaurants to choose from. We tried all 3 and were not impressed. Restaurants were a little overpriced for the quality you receive. I would say the best of the three was Jackalopes, which is the bar/restaurant. There is also a cafe/deli that sells coffee, ice cream, and sandwiches to go.
I recommend eating in the nearest town of Oakhurst. They have plenty of options to choose from. Try the Todd's Cookhouse in Oakhurst, they have awesome BBQ and bread pudding.

Staff:
I had a really good experience with the staff. They were really nice and helpful. My favorite person was Tony, he was our waiter who worked in the Jackalopes.

Overall:
We had a great 5 day trip to Tenaya Lodge. It was a nice change of pace for us. The improvements I would make are minor and could be overseen (minor room updates, food quality). We would definitely come back again in the future.

Also, if anyone from the hotel is reading, I would recommend some night time activities. My wife and I are in our late 20's and always found ourselves bored after the sun went down. Some ideas would be to hold movie nights, karaoke, comedy acts, etc. This could be held in one of your meeting room spaces. I think you could actually make some money off this idea since night life is limited. Thanks for reading!

Room Tip: You will spend a little more time in your room than usual when vacationing to Yosemite because there...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,717 reviews
Yosemite's Scenic Wonders Vacation Rentals
Yosemite's Scenic Wonders Vacati...
#4 of 24 in Yosemite National Park
Yosemite Big Creek Inn
Yosemite Big Creek Inn
#1 of 4 in Fish Camp

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!