“Nice old time train ride”

Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad
Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Fish Camp
More attraction details
Owner description: Four-mile excursion on a narrow-gauge railroad through Sierra National Forest's scenic landscape.
Laguna Beach, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice old time train ride”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

liked the ride through the tall forest trees but could not hear narrative explanation from the enclosed cart speakers since we were sitting in a open log cart.

1 Thank 624David

Northbrook, IL
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Nice Train Ride, Average Scenery, Poor Commentary”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is a nice ride on an historic train. However, the ride is through heavy forest. After a short while it gets boring because there is no changing view. It could have been much better if we could have heard the commentary from the "conductor." When I told him we couldn't hear much he said it was a new sound system but he had to keep it low to avoid feedback. I told him the problem was probably because he was standing in front of a speaker which needed to be reoriented or removed. If you want a train ride, fine. If you want to learn something, don't go unless they get a better sound system.

1 Thank Ed60062
Los Angeles, CA
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fun train ride through beautiful woods”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We had a nice, relaxing visit to the Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad in mid April. My friend who visited Yosemite just a few days before us read some of the negative reviews of this place and decided not to go. I was on a fence about whether to stop by or not, but since my son really wanted to do gold panning, we gave it a try. I'm so glad we did!!
I'm not a rail buff or anything and my 6 year old son has outgrown his Thomas the Train stage a long long time ago. The ride through the woods was roughly about 20 min long each way and was relaxing on a warm, spring day. You ride one way, then they stop for about 15 min where you can get off the train and wander around nature or take pictures with the train, then it goes around and comes back to the entrance area. If you are a family of 4 or more, it can get pretty costly so I can understand some people's complaints. The train conductor was very friendly and even though it was a full house that day, he was very patient about answering questions. When he came around to punch your tickets, he even made a little smiley face for the kids' tickets.
They can get full and even sold out. On their website it states that other than Wed and Sat, they only have 1 train ride per day, which was at 11am. However, they accommodated many late comers or for people who simply didn't know about this place and just stopped by and added another run at 12:30pm.
My son really wanted to do gold panning. So after the tour, the train conductor hosted the gold panning, which you have to pay extra for. Again, he was very friendly and accommodating to younger kids. The area my son was standing was on a hill, so the gold panning "tub" area was a bit too high. He made sure to put shorter kids on higher ground so they can pan comfortably.
The gold panning is about 15-20 minutes and he will put the gold flakes you get into a small vial. Again, he very patiently went to each child and helped with the panning, explained about how much it's worth (like $4-5 lol) and congratulated on "finding" the gold. (it's really not finding gold, because he puts the gold flakes in the pan prior)
Once he was done hosting the gold panning, the conductor went back for the 12:30pm train run. The poor guy worked very hard with no time for a break!!
All in all, I think this is a fun, family experience to try once if you are in the area and not short on budget. I doubt we will do it again but I think for a family with young kids under 10, I think this is a nice little stop before heading towards Yosemite.

So Cal
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Fun for the whole family”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is a real operational steam engine and if you have any train buffs in your travel party is a MUST see.

sussex
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“good for familys”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

had a good couple of hours here made very welcome was like being back in time 100 years ago staff very friendly would recommend to all