“Should be renamed rodent dropping mountain lodge”

White Chief Mountain Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fish Camp
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We arrived fairly late in the afternoon, checked in got the keys to our $160 a night room, dropped our bags in it and went straight out to the Mariposa grove which is 5 mins drive from the hotel. When we arrived back at around 10pm we showered and were about to get into bed when we pulled back the covers to reveal........lots of mouse dropping, in our bed, under the sheets, pillows in fact we then started to notice that they were everywhere. On the kitchen table, ontop of the refrigerator. We'd put the musty smell down to the location and age of the accomodation but oh no! it was actually rodent crap. My wife freaked out at this point and I pulled on some clothes and trudged wearily across to the office which was closed around 10.40 pm. The old guy who owns the place was in the house opposite so I regretfully disturbed his peace and told him what was occurring. He seemed confused by the state of affairs but gave us the keys to the next door room. Guess what- it was even worse, covered in little black droppings-UGHHH!
We then got the keys to a room nearer the office and this was free of rodent crap but was infested with insects, covered with green insect killing pellets and smelled so bad that we had to cover ourselves with perfume to mask the smell. We put up with this (lying in our clothes on top of the bed for about 2.5hrs). I was unable to sleep and didn't want to touch anything in the room. My wife told me she had had enough and we went to sleep outside in our car. We then managed some sleep till 6am when we decided we wanted to not let it spoil our plans and went for a wonderful hike in Yosemite.
We returned around midday to see what the management had to say- to be fair the lady behind the desk (who was very nice like all the staff and the owner) said she didn't want to charge me anything (which would still have been too much!) but was afraid she might have to pay. I decided I would just pay the lower room rate which was $139 and would NEVER EVER go anywhere near that place again.

Here's a word to the wise, heed these reviews and whatever you do avoid this place like you would a gun toting maniac in a burger bar.

Even if they cleared up the rodent problem it's old, tired and not worth the money. If I could give a zero rating I would. My single worse hotel experience ever made all the sadder by the fact that the owner and staff are such nice people.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SamCHouston
Nicole_WhiteChief, Office Manager at White Chief Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2009

We apologize for the problems that you experienced while staying at our lodge. I first of all want to inform you that the problem has been corrected. Unfortunatelly there is forest all around our hotel and when it does get hot and dry the rodents come looking for food and water. Once it is detected, we take the steps to correct any problems. Again we apologize for any inconvience this may have caused you.

Kindest Regards,
Nicole D.
Office Manager

Reviewed June 18, 2009

The best thimg about this motel is the location, just 2 miles from Yosemite and, once within the park, a further 2 miles from the Maraposa Grove.

The motel (lodge) itself is away from the main road and, because the sign at the roadside is old and in need of a lick of paint, it would be quite easy to miss the entrance to the motel.

The rooms are of the very basic motel type and the owners are able to demand a relatively high price (based on comparably equipped motels elswhere) because of the location. The attached restaurant (seperate management) was fine and served a variety of breakfasts at, what I'd say were, standard costs. (the evening meal prices seemed slightly high but we didn't use it).

The walls to each room are thin, the furniture very basic, the bathroom small but functional. I was able to use my laptop with limited but acceptable download speeds ... but if you are staying here I guess your main priority is the ease with which you have access to Yosemite.

In summary, a very basic motel that will enable you to eat, sleep and shower for an early start in the park.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Baarby
Reviewed June 17, 2009

After reading the last review I felt I needed to write on the owners behalf,I was very nervous about our stay (2 nights) after reading the review,however,we were made very welcome and enjoyed our stay.Although the room was basic it was very clean and the bed comfortable,the bathroom was clean and the shower hot and powerful.We stayed with friends who had the next room and were also pleasently surprised,So if you would like to stay in accommodation that has a charm and character of its own then you would do well to stay here. We had breakfast in the resturant which was excellent value and as good as any yhing we had had in any chain establishmentThe park it self is close by and was spectacular.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DonWiltshire

Thank you for the review. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to seing you again on your next visit to Yosemite!

Reviewed October 8, 2008

Unfortunately this was the worst motel we booked into during our 2 week drive through Northern California. The price and reviews had led us to believe it would of a similar standard to some of the chain motels but with more character. It had that alright. I'm afraid I have to say the family that runs it need to either reduce their rates greatly ie to campsite levels or refurbish the place to bring it into the 21st century.
We were supposed to stay for 3 nights while we explored Yosemite but the room we were given was small and pokey and smelt terrible - damp and musty and unlived in. I was shocked. I couldn't bring myself to shut the door. There were no drawers for clothes and no table or chairs. Everything about the place seemed very old and tired.
The restaurant was closed as the chef was ill.
This mountain lodge could only be good if you were really desperate for a bed for the night close to the South Entrance to Yosemite.
We checked out again within 10 minutes of seeing the room. To give them their due the owners didn't quibble over returning our money.
We found 3 other really lovely places to stay in Fishcamp - 2 of which had restaurants.
I'm sorry to be so negative but I'm really surprised this place can survive in its present state. In my opinion the owners need to upgrade or retire from the business.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Had a lovely stay once again at the White Chief. 'Wally', long time owner who is now 87 years young, is back at the helm with his daughter, and offer renovated standard rooms for $90-100.00. New family from Daly City has just taken over the restaurant, and appear to be doing a good job.
I would recommend the White Chief for those who are OK with functional accommodation is a renovated 60's style lodge with friendly management.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2008

We stayed in cabin-type room. It had a kitchenette with a microwave and small refrigerator, a small balcony facing the woods and the creek. This was nicer than their basic motel room and cost about 10 dollars more a night. The staff was very warm and helpful and provided us with little pastries and sip up juices. We would stay their again

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2007

If you are on a budget and don't feel like getting stuck in a cold psuedo cabin/tent in Curry Village, I definitely suggest White Chief. It's a family-run place with clean somewhat updated rooms in a serene surrounding just minutes from the entrance of the park. We decided to visit Yosemite during Labor Day and booked the room just two weeks prior. I disagree with the review about it being noisy - I found it charming and intimate that the whole family was in the kitchen. Sort of like a B&B. Plus the baby was adorable and never made a peep in three days. The service at the restaurant was very slow but the food was freshly made and delicious. Apparently this new proprietor took over in May, so the entire family maintains the place. Still a few kinks, but nothing to complain about for a cheaper place booked on short notice. Also, the lodge is pretty much akin to a motel, so bring your shampoo, soaps, etc.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to White Chief Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!