“Hit the spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, CA
“Hit the spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel is a great place to break a long trip down Interstate 5. It's far enough back from the highway to be quiet, the staff is very accommodating, the rooms are clean and attractive. The little extras- microwave, refrigerator, free Wifi, many energy-efficient features, free (and very generous) breakfast - were much appreciated. My two dogs stayed in the room for an extra $20 and were given a treat at check-in. My only complaint was that people in the room above ours could be heard tromping around in the middle of the night. Also, the ice chest, right outside our room, was very noisy. As for the restaurant: I've eaten there twice and found it disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool side but away from the ice machine. That will avoid car noise as well as...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Firebaugh, Manager at BEST WESTERN Apricot Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your coomments, I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Best Western Apricot Inn.
I apologize for the ice machine being noisy.
I have stayed in different rooms at the property and I find the quietest Queen Bed room to be Upstairs on the North side of the motel. If you need two Queen Beds Upstairs on the Eastside is the quietest.
We always welcome your pets into our motel.
As for the Apricot Tree Restaurant next door it is not part of our motel, we have different ownership and Management.
Cordially,
Sharon Bates
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Northridge, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

All I wanted to do was sleep and get up and drive the rest of the way home to LA from SF. Bed was hard as a board and about as comfortable. At midnight I was still hearing people clomping around upstairs and outside. At 1:00 a.m. some idiot was drying their laundry, which happened to be right outside my door! At 1:30 a.m. I finally called and complained and they must have cut the power to the dryer because it stopped. I would have been better off sleeping in my car. The restaurant wasn't very good either. Got up at 7:00 a.m. and got the heck out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Deborah M
Firebaugh, Manager at BEST WESTERN Apricot Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor regarding your stay here at the Best Western Apricot Inn. I apologize for the inconveniences you referred to in your comments. We are a twenty-four hour motel and guest check in and check out at all times of day and night and use the guest washers and dryers at their convenience . We have Serta mattresses in all of the rooms.
Cordially,
Sharon Bates
Manager
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Very friendly and concientious! All of the employees from the maid to the manager are on the ball. They are very helpful and don't mind doing extra work to get the job right. They have a good check-in and check-out routine that is streamlined.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We've stayed here before. It's clean, older, but welcome when the road is long and there aren't a lot of choices. I have only two concerns: 1) the refrigerator, the microwave, the TV, and the WiFi were all connected to one socket on the wall. When I pointed this out to the night manager, she was unconcerned. 2) The pillows - pretty to look at or sit against. Miserable for me to sleep on. I was told this is Best Western Policy. We also came across this policy at another Best Western.

I would love to condemn the decorator and a bigwig at Best Western to at least two weeks of sleeping with these pillows. It marred a night's stay. Our blanket was also thin. I don't like to sleep in a warm room, but it was that or be cold.

Breakfast was good. Waffles, boiled eggs, cereal and an assortment of pastries.

Room Tip: The hotel is situated so a large part of the hotel is away from the noise of the highway. No noise...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Burbank, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed one night on a stopover from LA to SF. Pre-booked and arrived around midnight. The staff was friendly and got us quickly into our room. The room itself was plain and functional, but not the cleanest. The fridge, for example, had been turned off and closed, which meant it smelled bad and we couldn't use it. The carpet had that "don't walk in your bare feet" stickiness to it. Exhausted after midnight, what are you going to do?

Worst, the in-room air conditioning unit was simply the loudest industrial beast I have ever encountered, resulting in periods of waking up, every time it turned on. I turned it off, but all the other units nearby had theirs running. Wow. I woke up more tired than when I went to bed.

Breakfast was included and good - I liked the self-making waffle machine, yogurt, cereal, etc.

Conclusion: Stay here if you must, but next time, I will try out another hotel. For the Auto Club price I paid on BW website, it was over-valued.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter asking for a "quiet" room away from the highway, because the air condit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kh100
Monterey, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Unfortunately, this motel suffers from two major liabilities, its location and lack of competition. Stay here if you are dog tired from the monotony of a dreary drive down hwy 5, but don't include it in your itinerary for more than an overnight stay.

I was in the area on a work assignment and planned on staying four days, but left a day early to simply escape. I should have known what was coming when I had to kill fifteen flies in the room the first night there. The cleaning crew seems to have sensed the lack of competition also, as I came across items on the floor from the previous tenant. Even the small amount of clutter that I generated was largely ignored by the cleaning crew.

Small but noticeable signs of neglect in maintenance, such as gaps in the bathroom plumbing, and a plethora of extension cords to make up for the lack of outlets were evident. Also annoying was the cost saving efforts of management by putting the light switch of the vanity by the front door and putting it and various outlets on a motion detector so they would disconnect unless you stood up and waved your arms, quite irritating when simply trying to charge a device. Add to that the constant noise of the freeway and the inconsiderate loud voices of farm workers who stay at the motel during picking season, and who never seem to sleep, make this one easy to skip.

All in all, the room was furnished adequately, but the dressing doesn't make up for the inconvenience.

Room Tip: No elevator. Try for a room not facing the freeway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Firebaugh, Manager at BEST WESTERN Apricot Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Please note that the Best Western Apricot Inn is located West of Interstate 5, in the San Joaquin Valley which has alot of agriculture land.
The specific crops to our area this time of year are as follows; tomatoes, watermelons, canteloupe, onions, garlic, alfalfa, almonds, pistachios, corn, grapes, pommegranites, oranges, apricots, cotton and I am sure I have forgotten some crops.
With all this agriculture, comes insects, especially flies and gnats.
We have Terminex out once a month to spray but unfortunately there is nothing that they can do for flies and gnats.
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Midway between northern and southern california on the I-5 , there is really nothing interesting in the area, McDonalds is across the street, the rooms are clean with individual AC which is very good, the temp outside was 98. Breakfast was good. A few gas stations around. A small store with a subway shop, there is a restaurant as Well, but we didn't try it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Voyager81977

Been to BEST WESTERN Apricot Inn? Share your experiences!