“Lipstick on a pig”

Best Western Apricot Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Firebaugh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Unfortunately, this motel suffers from two major liabilities, its location and lack of competition. Stay here if you are dog tired from the monotony of a dreary drive down hwy 5, but don't include it in your itinerary for more than an overnight stay.

I was in the area on a work assignment and planned on staying four days, but left a day early to simply escape. I should have known what was coming when I had to kill fifteen flies in the room the first night there. The cleaning crew seems to have sensed the lack of competition also, as I came across items on the floor from the previous tenant. Even the small amount of clutter that I generated was largely ignored by the cleaning crew.

Small but noticeable signs of neglect in maintenance, such as gaps in the bathroom plumbing, and a plethora of extension cords to make up for the lack of outlets were evident. Also annoying was the cost saving efforts of management by putting the light switch of the vanity by the front door and putting it and various outlets on a motion detector so they would disconnect unless you stood up and waved your arms, quite irritating when simply trying to charge a device. Add to that the constant noise of the freeway and the inconsiderate loud voices of farm workers who stay at the motel during picking season, and who never seem to sleep, make this one easy to skip.

All in all, the room was furnished adequately, but the dressing doesn't make up for the inconvenience.

Room Tip: No elevator. Try for a room not facing the freeway.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Firebaugh, Manager at Best Western Apricot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Please note that the Best Western Apricot Inn is located West of Interstate 5, in the San Joaquin Valley which has alot of agriculture land.
The specific crops to our area this time of year are as follows; tomatoes, watermelons, canteloupe, onions, garlic, alfalfa, almonds, pistachios, corn, grapes, pommegranites, oranges, apricots, cotton and I am sure I have forgotten some crops.
With all this agriculture, comes insects, especially flies and gnats.
We have Terminex out once a month to spray but unfortunately there is nothing that they can do for flies and gnats.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Midway between northern and southern california on the I-5 , there is really nothing interesting in the area, McDonalds is across the street, the rooms are clean with individual AC which is very good, the temp outside was 98. Breakfast was good. A few gas stations around. A small store with a subway shop, there is a restaurant as Well, but we didn't try it.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Voyager81977
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We normally stay at a Best Western a few miles down the road, but decided to try this one. We were not disappointed for the price. The room was clean and cooled for the hot weather. Check in was easy and all staff we met was extremely friendly and responsive to our needs. I showered upon check in and found the shower lacked any body soap in the dispenser. Upon returning after dinner the office accommodated us with bath soap, so this was not a big issue. My only complaint is they as all Best Westerns publicize high speed Internet with wifi. However I could not establish wifi in the room and was told by the desk DSL was in the room by Ethernet cable. However, at breakfast I got wifi in the office. A lot of people like myself now use smart phones and iPads that do not connect via Ethernet. I would encourage patrons to inquire regarding wifi in the room before finalizing reservations. That said, the room and accommodations were great for the price.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Boise1939
Reviewed July 27, 2012

There just HAS to be something in this area to draw people to that enables them to charge so much for a single non-smoking room. I've never heard of Firebaugh, California, but found myself riding through on my way to San Diego. Dry hot temperature told me it was time to get out of the heat, this motel was here, I was tired and couldn't continue, so I ended up paying the price. $80.00 per night is in my book just a bit high for the room.

Queen bed, clean linens, noisy neighbors, tough to get a good night's sleep -- yes, I recognize it's the guests, not the management. I figure the room to be worth closer to $60.00/night.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank SBruce J
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We check in late, and the girl was very nice, we stayed in room 111.

Room Tip: Room 111 was very nice. We were on the freeway side but never heard anything. We would stay again.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Firebaugh, Manager at Best Western Apricot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

We appreciate that you and your guest got to enjoy our quiet rooms on your road trip! Have a great day and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Firebaugh area.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stopped here because we often stop at the Apricot Restaurant. The restaurant was a disappointment, but the hotel was good. The person at the desk was helpful. Finding our Best Western card proved impossible so I now have another card. Our room was clean and cool. Nothing special, but fine. We were missing a light bulb and the night person brought a bulb and changed it for us.

Would I stop there again? Yes because it's halfway between our home and Sacramento. If I had other choices, maybe.

It was a bit pricey for what we got, but being a hotel far from other hotels probably justifies it.

Room Tip: Our room was far away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Firebaugh, Manager at Best Western Apricot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

On behalf of the staff, we thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We hope to see you the next time you are in the Firebaugh area.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Perfect location to break up a long and boring ride up I-5. Standard (more than adequate) Best Western fare. Very comfortable and convenient to the freeway.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Firebaugh, Manager at Best Western Apricot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Thank you for allowing us to serve your lodging needs. We appreciate your patronage.

Been to Best Western Apricot Inn? Share your experiences!