“My first B+B, I hit a Home Run!”
Review of Victorian Inn

Victorian Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Ferndale B&B and Inns
Belmont, Ca
“My first B+B, I hit a Home Run!”
Reviewed January 12, 2007

Family of 4, stayed in Maren's Suite, (2 queen beds). Very friendly staff. Ferndale is the perfect location for you to explore the Northern California Coast. The Victorian Inn in Ferndale is in a quiet little town off Hwy 101. Interesting Main Street (used in the movie "The Majestic" and "Outbreak"). Ask Lowell, the owner, to show you the signed drawing of the Majestic by the entire crew and Jim Carrey. One of the shops on Main Street was most interesting to me because of all the old products that you can still buy. (It's like you have gone back in time.) The guests are invited every afternoon for complimentary, local wine and cheese at 4PM (very nice in front of a fireplace in the lobby). Breakfast was also good, with a different 'hot' entree each morning. The Giant Redwoods of Humbolt State Park are just 30 minutes down the road (A MUST SEE), including 5 of the top ten tallest trees on earth. Take a drive along the 'Lost Coast' right out of Ferndale and you will end up at the park. North of Ferndale we also visited Trinidad (great coastal vistas), and the Redwood National Forrest, where we saw large elk along the side of the road.

• Liked — met our expectations
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank 777mechanic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 5, 2006

Ferndale is a very quaint place to visit. We arrived the day before Thanksgiving. I believe it was one of the owners that checked us in. She was so helpful. She let us know about the entire area as well as remind us to make reservations for Thanksgiving dinner if we didn't have plans already. I was grateful for this because I didn't know what we would find open. The Victorian Inn is above a restaurant and bar. I was so surprised that we could not hear or smell anything from the restaurant/bar as soon as we went up the stairs. The building is beautiful. Great size rooms. Great place to see the redwoods from and just take in the beautiful scenery.

The room does warm up during the night, so don't turn the thermastat up too high or you will wake up sweating. Breakfast is okay. I wish more love was given to the breakfasts, but they do have quite a few rooms and probably need to be more generic for families. It has your basics: bananas, apples, yogurt, granola, bagels and then one warm dish that changes. It would be nice to see more homebaked goods. Though my thoughts on this may be skewed because we drove up from Calistoga where we had the most incredible food at a B&B. I would definitley recommend this place. We liked the charm and the history.

• Liked — having the entire package in one spot: room, bar and restaurant
  • Disliked — breakfast was hardy, but boring
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank getreadygo
California
Reviewed September 24, 2006

Our stay at the Victorian Inn in Ferndale, CA was so quiet and peaceful, THE perfect get-away! We will definitely plan on visiting again, and for more than just one night - unfortunately, this trip was a last minute decision my husband and I made - next time, we'll plan our time/days better so that we can stay longer.

The staff at the Inn were very friendly and helpful; dining was fabulous! We also found the townspeople were friendly as well. It's so refreshing to be in a place as beautiful and welcoming as Ferndale.

The breakfast was just out of this world!

I highly recommend the Victorian Inn to anyone who wishes to get away from the hustle and bustle of every day life and just enjoy a beautiful, peaceful, the most friendliest and hospitable city I've ever had the pleasure to visit.

Most sincerely,
Adam and Peggy Yee

• Liked — Everything! The beautiful rooms, great food, wonderful staff.
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything I didn't like about the Victorian Inn.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank PJYee
Las Cruces, NM
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We had the privilege of staying at the Victorian Inn in July 2006 for 2 nights. I got my first impression of Lowell when I called to inquire about changing our reservation to arrive a day earlier than planned. He was so accommodating. We initially chose Maren's Suite, but it was not available so we chose Hana's hideaway for the first night and Victorian Parlor for the second night. I loved Hana's hideaway. It is at the end of the hall so no one really walks by your room except the people across the hall. The bed is a queen, but we slept very comfortably. The room was clean, the bathroom was spacious and also clean. They even brought a small t.v. in for me because I hadn't seen any news for a few days due to the fact that the bed and breakfasts we stayed in didn't offer any television. The first night we dined at Curleys. The staff was excellent and the food was even better. I very rarely eat beef so I ordered a hamburger (sounds weird I know), but the waiter told us it was local beef and I don't think I've ever enjoyed a hamburger so much in my life. My husband had meatloaf and let me tell you it was excellent also (I tasted it). The breakfast at the Inn was enough to eat that's for sure. It is their fault that I became hooked on granola cereal and now have it at home. The juice was good, the hot entrees were also delicious. We liked that there was a room to go in the evening before turning in to have tea or coffee and just sit and play a game or cards. They have an electric fireplace going at all times. The other people staying there were also friendly. I walked around and saw some of the other rooms. I would recommend all of the rooms. They are all very comfortable looking. The Victorian Parlor that we stayed in the second night was bigger than Hana's Hideaway. It has a king bed and a little sitting area. It also looks out towards the main street. The bathroom is spacious and has a window of it's own. Again, I had my t.v. that night. It is also at the end of the hall (across from Hana's Hideaway). What I didn't like about the second room was the noise from the street and the bar/band across the street. It was very loud, but the good news is they stopped playing just before 11 p.m. so we were able to get some sleep after that. We ate at a local italian pizza place on Main Street. I believe it was Ferndale Pizza Co. I had lasagna and my husband had ravioli...I cannot tell you how good the food was. It wasn't a high class place, we even sat outside, but the food was plentiful and delicious. Ferndale is a very small town. We felt like we were in a movie or time warp or something, ha. It was very enjoyable and different for us. We walked down Main Street to observe the stores and shops and then through the houses to see the Victorian look of the town. It was fun. If you like the big city, malls or even chain restaurants or grocery stores then Ferndale is not the place for you. We drove to Avenue of the Giants and that was the most beautiful place I've ever seen and it is not too far at all. Ferndale has a cool climate, which we loved. The only thing I really didn't like was the beach area. I guess it was about a 5 mile drive and the ocean is always beautiful, but this particular beach was very cold/windy and it's not a place to go and picnic or lay out like you would in Southern CA. It was foggy the entire time. We did enjoy seeing some sea life...we think they were sea lions or otters or both..very close to shore and riding the waves. That was exciting for us since we live in the desert. All in all our trip was a great experience. Some of the other reviews mention that the Inn is old, yes it is, but they say that on their website. If you want Hilton or Marriott then you should not stay here. It is classy, but not modern. It definitely has the old feel. The staircase when you arrive is very tall so if you would have trouble carrying your bags up you may want to consider something else. I couldn't have done it myself. My husband offered to help another couple. The only other thing I want to mention is the hospitality you get when you arrive. The girl who checked us in was just lovely and very cheerful and informative of the Inn and the area. Enjoy it, we did.

Stayed July 2006
8 Thank nmnative
Algonquin, Illinois
Reviewed August 10, 2006

My beautiful bride and I decided to go to the Redwood Forest area in Northern California for our honeymoon. We did some research on line and found a beautiful old Victorian B&B, called the Victoria Inn.
From the moment we arrived (late at night) and they kept the restaurant open for us to eat at, we knew and felt it was going to be a great trip.
The owners, Lowell and Jenny, were perfect hosts. From the time you wake up and walk over for their delicious hot breakfast, Lowell and Jenny are there to make your stay perfect. The rooms are beautifully decorated and immaculate. The entire staff in the inn are helpful and friendly, making the stay that much better. The wine tastings in the evening hosted by Lowell and Jenny are a perfect touch, making you feel more like you've gone to visit family rather than stay in someone else's inn. Make sure you take time to look at the jewelry shop in the entry to the inn, they have some beautiful offerings.
The town is very small and quaint. If you are looking for a lot of touristy attractions, don't come here. But if you are looking for truely warm and welcoming people, and a very relaxing vacation, this is the place to go. We will definitely return, and have no reservations recommending the Victoria Inn to anyone we know visiting the area.

8 Thank Guadzilla
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Stayed there for 1 night with my family, in the Emily C Russ Suite.
The place is a dream. We took a little tour and looked into all the rooms and suites, one more gorgeous than the other. Location couldn't be better, right on Main Street with all the Victorian houses. The food in the restaurant downstairs is delicious. All in all a wonderful stay.

8 Thank susanned
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2006

We had the good fortune of staying at the Victorian Inn for the night. We arrived around 9:00 p.m., tired from traveling all day, famished, and ready for a relaxed evening. We were greeted by a lovely young lady who was incredibly accommodating, even making sure my husband had a T.V. We had been traveling through rural parts of Oregon for the better part of the week and we were news starved! We were worried that this small town might be closed up for the night with no food in sight. We stuck our head in the adjoining cafe, Curly's, and the waitress who was getting ready to close up for the night, assured us with a smile she would wait while we settled our things into our room. We had a wonderful dinner and the staff could not have been friendlier. Our room was captivating, complete with a beautiful Victorian deep burgundy chaise and a comfy King size bed. The next morning, breakfast was fantastic and the man in the corner plugging away on his computer was an ebullient and charming host. We were the last to arrive for breakfast and the last to leave. Lowell entertained us with some of the rich history of the Inn, showing us some of the magnificent original architecture and pieces of the place. We wandered down to the lobby/jewelry showcase where we met Jenny, Lowell's wife. She was just as friendly, and gracious. To cap off our visit, we checked out and decided to stroll through the charming little Victorian town. We had only browsed our way through a few shops when Jenny caught up with us. It seemed my husband had left all of his shirts for the rest of our trip hanging in the armoire. Now, that is hospitality at it's best. We'll be back, Lowell and Jenny. Our visit was too short.

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferndale
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Fortuna
The Gingerbread Mansion Inn

Been to Victorian Inn? Share your experiences!