“Cheese delight.”

Dining options: Breakfast
Chico, California
“Cheese delight.”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Very low key restaurant with an owner and his young staff. We had his chili and a great vegetarian cheese sandwich.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Scott C

Petaluma, California
“A great lunch spot in a great town”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I (and the dog) where wandering the northern recesses of our state for a weekend getaway. Rather than eat fast food on the road we looked for little local spots, this one is the best and they let the dog sit with us on the patio, even providing a bowl of water and cheese plate for him. We had the adult grilled cheese with roasted veggies (awesome) and a bowl of ginger -coconut soup (delicious) and a veggie burger. Very filling and affordable.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Scott2311
Spokane Valley, Washington
“Please, move your restaurant to my hometown!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We recently returned from an off season trip to Oregon and N. California. On my bucket list was a visit to Ferndale, which was delightful. I was hungry and didn't want to spend a fortune for a mid afternoon small lunch. I wandered into the Lost Coast Cafe, a little place tucked back through a gated, narrow courtyard. Must be lovely in the summer. I see by the other reviews that the owner is Mario. He was just wonderful. Got me soup and bread which were just heaven after the travel food we'd been eating. I had the curry lentil soup and his homemade bread (for which he'd ground the grain in the morning). It was so amazing that I wanted my husband to try it. Even though Mario was closing, he said to get him and come on back if the gate was open. We did come back and my husband was as impressed as I was. Amazing, delicious, healthy food! Thank you, Mario! Lucky, lucky Ferndale!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Max1943
Meadow Vista, California
“Lovely, Dog Friendly Stop”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stopped here for coffee and a pastry. My dog was along and the owners fussed over him. I had a delicious cappuccino and cinnamon roll. The owner asked if he could bring a dog plate for Fred - cheese, apple and croutons, plus a big bowl of water. Fred loved it. The real surprise is that when I was done, the owner said, "The cap is on me, and there is no charge for the dog." What? In this tiny town, in the down season, how could he do this? He said he picks someone to comp everyday, and he loved my dog. He refused a tip or more money. What a guy, is a cute town with a lovely cafe!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank phaniefield
South Jersey
“Sublime”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Simply sublime vegan and vegetarian fare, prepared and served by the most gracious and accommodating cafe owner, Mario. We traveled the back way into Ferndale via the beautiful, winding and vertigo inducing Ettersburg/Mattole Road (what a treat, but I highly recommend all wheel drive.). We arrived around 3:30 and The Lost Coast Cafe had its Closed sign out, but the gate and front door were open. We lingered in front, not sure whether to enter or look for another place on the Main Street for vittles (we were both starved after the 3 hour trek) and at that moment Mario ran across the street and beckoned us in, how fortuitous for us! Mario prepared us a lovely meal of chili (delicious with sunflower seeds!), blackeyed pea soup (even tastier than the chili), a Portobello, spinach and cheese sandwich (yummy and filling) and the best grilled cheese my lovely bride ever had.

Beyond the food, Mario was the one of the sweetest people we've met on the Lost Coast, we only wish we could import him and his special cafe to the East Coast.

• Visited May 2013