“Another great stay”

The Gingerbread Mansion Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Ferndale B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 29, 2013

For my wife's birthday, we spent a couple of days at the Gingerbread Mansion, again. It gets better in my opinion. We were warmly greeted by Linda, who remembered us from our last visit, The Rose room was great. The breakfasts were very tasty, and the afternoon, wine, and tea had hors d'oeuvres added to the cheese, and pastries plates. All were very tasty.
As other guests have stated, It is like taking a step back into time. It's very comfortable. We've been here before several times and will continue to return. I checked some of the motels in the Ferndale-Fortuna area and if you factor in what one would spend on breakfasts and the afternoon treats, the cost is about the same (maybe a little more) but it's so much more enjoyable.
As always, Ferndale is fun to walk around in and shop.

Room Tip: There are two rooms on the first floor if you have trouble with stairs. One is ADA configured.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Gingerbread Mansion Inn

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had never even heard of Ferndale but when the Gingerbread Mansion popped up on a hotel search in the Eureka CA area, we decided to give it a try. The Mansion is an amazing building and each room is decorated to the hilt with period furnishings. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the breakfast food was good. We enjoyed walking Main Street and exploring the old shops there. One warning: there only seems to be three places to eat in town, a pizza parlor, a pub/pasta joint, and the Victorian Inn. We ate at the VI and the food was just average.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Gingerbread Mansion is truly unique and amazing! We stayed for three nights in the hideaway room – in our opinion the most interesting of all the middle-prized rooms. Mainly because it had a nice balcony and the most charming little extra floor with an extra bed. However, the toilet was loose! You had to be kind of careful. We looked at all other rooms, and the most amazing room was the Veneto! A bit too expensive for us, but definitely incredible! The great thing is, as a guest you can just walk around the mansion, sit anywhere and enjoy the view with a glass of wine outside on the first floor, and in the charming garden. The afternoon snacks with wine were delicious!

But nothing’s perfect, and the mansion isn’t either. When we arrived we walked in, and the house was empty. We sat around for a while, until finally someone came out from the office and showed us our room. She seemed a bit busy and eager to get rid of us, but she said she’d show us around once we had settled in. So we got rid of our bags and came out of our room, and then the house was empty again. After waiting around for a while, we decided to go back to our room. We later explored the house ourselves.

The breakfast was great, even though I wish they’d clean up the tables after people. Generally the staff seemed kind of absent, and quite indifferent about the guests and the amazing place where they work (and live?). That feels a little strange when you’re visiting such a special place. There was however one woman whose name I have forgotten – I assume she was the innkeeper - the few times we saw her, she was very helpful and kind.

Now the town of Ferndale. It was very charming, but probably a bit boring if you’re there for more than three days. There’s an AMAZING antique store with two floors on the main street. Be sure to visit the cemetery right by the hotel – great view of the town, and it was fun to see all the old Danish names on the stones. When it comes to eating out, the restaurants aren’t really that good. We ate some horrible places and then at the Victorian Inn, which I think is one of the better places. It was a little weird, but okay food. Actually, the best food came from the supermarket on the main street! Really delicious! Take some home to the hotel and enjoy it in that incredible room!

2  Thank nilledk
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I hadn't been to Ferndale in over 13 years and I stayed at the gingerbread mansion on the recommendation of a friend. I was not disappointed, the service was great, the rooms are exquisitely furnished. There is so much attention to detail. The food was also to my taste, I think the breakfasts were my favourite. Since I was travelling on my own, they made me feel most welcome. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ian C
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We took our annual brothers road trip up the CA coast and stayed 2 nights at the Gingerbread Mansion on our second stop of our trip. The inn is beautiful although the furniture and art are of the grandma's attic variety. We stayed in the hideaway room. It has 2 beds, one upstairs so it worked perfectly for us. The breakfasts we nice, the staff was very friendly especially Kaitlin she served us tea one afternoon and was killing us with jokes. The beds were clean and comfortable, my brother asked for firmer pillows and they were quickly provided. We did forget our keys the first night, as we may have had too many beers as the local bar and played a little too much shuffle board. We felt terrible but the innkeeper was sweet enough to unlock the door for us after midnight when we stumbled back. All in all it was a great place to stay and the town is a hoot. See you next year!

Room Tip: We saw the Empire suite... amazing... when i come with my girlfriend not my brother we are totally s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HawkTim
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Recently my wife and I had the opportunity to stay at the Gingerbread Mansion while we were visiting the Redwoods in Northern California. It was like stepping back in time as the service was great, they seemed to anticipate our needs, the food, service and rooms were fantastic. I can't remember customer service of this quality since the early 80's. The rooms were clean and beautifully furnished, the people that worked there were wonderful in their politeness and professionalism. We could not have asked for a better stay. I look forward to visiting Ferndale again in the future and will be sure to stay at the Gingerbread Mansion.

Room Tip: Ask the day manager which room she would recommend.
2  Thank David Y
Reviewed August 13, 2013

To begin with I shall start with Ferndale is a cute quite little town. The Bed and Breakfast we choose to stay at (the gingerbread mansion) was a retreat. My husband and I stayed two nights in the big beautiful mansion. The room that we stayed in was exceptionally clean and comfortable. We were well taken care of by the inn keepers greeted by coffee outside our room both mornings and a very well cooked breakfast of sausage souffle, Stuffed french toast, bacon, roasted potatoes, a variety of fresh fruit and orange juice. We had went off to visit the ave of the giants and had a picnic under a huge redwood tree and walked around the town of Garberville for a while. On our return to the mansion we were greeted again by a friendly inn keeper with tea, cookies, cheese and wine and much more delicious looking treats. Our retreat back to our room after a long day of site seeing was an unbelievable experience of again a spotless room and truffles neatly laid upon our bed. Overall we would recommend this Inn to our friends and family, and would love to stay again if ever in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferndale
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
#4 of 21 in Eureka
Victorian Inn
Victorian Inn
#2 of 6 in Ferndale

Been to The Gingerbread Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!