“Most interesting visit back in time!”
Review of Fern Cottage

Fern Cottage
Ranked #9 of 14 things to do in Ferndale
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I was looking for something to do with my 7 year old Granddaughter while visiting Eureka and found Fern cottage! It was a fascinating look into the Russ family history,most everything is as it was in 1866. Being met by our guide in early 1900 attire set the stage for our walk back in time. This tour is not to be missed!

1  Thank Jeanette M

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The personal history of the Russ family is very interesting. Our guide dressed in early 1900 attire, gave us a fascinating look into an early founding family's history, with a grand tour of the cottage which grew and grew with the family. Call the Cottage for reservations.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

The town of Ferndale is just west of Eureka and well worth the 30 minute diversion. The homes and town has been featured in several movies, most notably "The Majestic" with Jim Carrey several years ago. Just park downtown and walk around the blocks and delight in the intersting and whimsical architecture and gardens. The cafes and bakeries in town all offer yummy treats and this town is so cute you just want to pinch it! Enjoy! I sketched a few of the homes in my travel sketchbook, so enjoy!

3  Thank Pen2paint
Reviewed October 27, 2009

"Gold Rush pioneers Joseph and Zipporah Russ built Fern Cottage as their family home in 1866. Family members lived in it continuously for over a century. Today, it is on the National Register of Historic Places and is one of the few homes in California containing the original family furniture and furnishings." (from Fern Cottage website)

This description was enough to make this historic house museum tour junkie determined to visit this site on my recent trip to Humboldt County. The tour was even better than I had anticipated and turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip.

The tour was given by a descendant of the Russes, who accompanied the tour with information on the history of the family and of the house. The Russes had 13 children and added on to the house several times in order to accomodate their growing family. The story is one of triumph and tragedy in one of the most prominent families in Humboldt County during the Victoria era.

The house is quite large and has a number of unique items - including an indoor fire-heated washtub - that I have never seen in any other Victorian house museum that I have toured. The gardens are extensive, and visitors are welcome to stroll on them before or after the tour.

This is a tour not to be missed!

6  Thank Writerwannabee