“big time rip off joint”

Ranked #4 of 6 Ferndale B&B and Inns
Chico, California
“big time rip off joint”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

i am having a major dispute with this establishment re a smoking disagreement. when i received my crdit card statement i was surprised to find a $500.charge. having no idea what this charge was for i advised the card company and the shaw rip off house that i was not paying said charge i was amazed to learn the charge was for smoking in my room in that i had not smoked in the room but rather went outside to puff i was then advised there was no smoking on the grounds this was acomplete surprise as there was no verbal or written instructions covering this matter i observed several other guests smoking on the grounds i am quite sure they did not get ripped off in closing i would never stay there again nor could i recommend the place to any one else MIKE O'SHEA CHICO CA

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mike o
ShawHouseInn, Owner at Shaw House, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Our Inn is an old and beautiful one. We take our responsibility to maintain a smoke free environment seriously. While we regret your upset, it was your choice to disregard our policies. For our future out of state guests, the whole of California is virtually smoke-free as is the Shaw House Inn.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vacaville, California
Reviewed July 11, 2013

A friend and I planned a trip to the Redwood Forest and wanted to get the whole experience. I Googled the best B&B's in the area and Shaw House had great reviews, and boy did they deliver!! The location couldn't have been better, It's perfectly seated in the small, peaceful Victorian town of Ferndale (just 15 miles from Eureka [the largest town in Humboldt County] ). The owner happily greeted us at the door with a smile. Once we were checked in, she gave us a tour of the library, sitting rooms, dining area and showed us upstairs to our room (the Garden Room) as well as our personal bathroom. The house was beautiful, very well taken care of, considering it's the oldest house in Ferndale and extremely cozy. There were plenty of books to read in the library and an array of movies to choose from since the rooms were not cable equipped. All in all, I would definitely recommend this B&B to my friends and if I ever decide to return, Shaw House will be my first choice for lodging!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with viewing/access to the garden side of the house, we were able to see a family of e...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shirley T
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for two nights and had a peaceful enjoyable experience. We enjoyed the breakfast, the movies, the books and the bathtub. The garden was in full bloom and the owner was very friendly and welcoming. It is also very close to the Humboldt Redwood Forest.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Summer B
Crescent City, California, United States
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I arrived in the early evening ahead of my boyfriend. After ringing the doorbell twice and knocking once, I went to a side door which was open. Sticking my head in with a 'hello', the Proproitoress came rushing up and asking me my business. I explained that I had a reservation for 2 nights. She stated that this was 'Not The Entrance' but rather the cat's door. I explained that I had tried the front door to no avail. Some excuse was given, then instead of just being welcomed in through the cat's door, I was instructed back to the front door and a completely different demeanor greeted me; although the same lady. Gracious vs. hostile. I was shown thru the house & checked in. We were the only guests for Friday night and as it turned out Saturday as well.
We didn't get up in time for breakfast (7:30 to 10:00) on Saturday morning and the maid was knocking on our door before we were ready to roll out; albeit it was close to noon!
Sunday morning I was able to dash in for some coffee and juice right before 10:00. The dining room was eerily set up for breakfast; with 2 servings of warm quiche and various other items on the sideboard; but not a soul in sight.
This is not my first B&B and I'm used to a more intimate feel to the stay. The room was nice and it was dog friendly; which was the deciding factor for the stay.
The workers were very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pobuchon
Everett
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a recent one night stay at Shaw House. The B & B as well as Ferndale is a wonderful step back in time. The owner knew the area well and provided good travel advice. The owner even arranged a horse back ride through the Redwoods for us on the day we left. The rooms and home are furnished with period furniture. The hospitality was wonderful. We will be back to visit again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David W
n ireland
Reviewed January 14, 2013

A wonderfully quirky, comfortable and welcoming B&B.I loved the "history corner" and shop. It gave us a better understanding of how hard life must have been for the first settlers there and really not that long ago.
Food good. Paula a good host and knowledgeable about the restaurants in the area.
Ferndale itself is an atmospheric place with wonderful examples of late Victorian American architecture. Well worth a visit. There is a museum too but it was closed for a large party visit the day we were there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank hotcookin
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our wedding day was perfect. Romantic, beautiful, magical. The Shaw House (Paula) made our special day match all the hopes and dreams I'd had, it was wonderful. It was just the 2 of us and the beautiful garden. Champagne, a perfect little cake and my love, my new husband.

Room Tip: The Shaw Suite was our choice and loved it
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferndale
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Victorian Inn
Victorian Inn
#1 of 6 in Ferndale
The Gingerbread Mansion Inn

Been to Shaw House? Share your experiences!