“Pretty darn average, but at least not very expensive”
Review of Restaurant Matias - CLOSED

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Petersburg, Alaska
“Pretty darn average, but at least not very expensive”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I had a chicken enchilada with verde sauce combo. It arrived very quickly and temperature was fine. The taste of the enchiladas, the rice, and beans were so-so. They weren't very flavorful and somewhat bland. The supplied salsas didn't make much of an impression either. On the plus side, the prices seemed quite reasonable across the menu. The experience wasn't terrible, but neither did it make me want to return.

Visited April 2013

SJ CA
“Good Mexican Food”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

With Ferndale CA not being very big there aren't many restaurants, and fewer that are opened late (after 6 pm) the Restaurant Matias is open late, has really good Mexican cuisine and has live entertainment (when we were there at least). We really enjoyed ourselves.

Visited April 2013
Morro Bay, California
“Good Food! Fast Service! Great Prices”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We did take out from here, and they were very accommodating to our special requests and needs. Great recommendations, super fast preparing the food, even tho the restaurant was quite packed, and excellent prices!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank jamaicabitty
Eureka
“I'll pass...”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I LOVE Mexican food. Did not love this place at all. I feel the reason this place is still open is simply because it's the only Mexican restaurant in town. People really hungry for this cuisine and who are unwilling to drive to neighboring Fortuna (where there are numerous Mexican restaurants) just keep going back. I did!

The place is right on Main Street so easy to find. It is clean and is obviously a family-owned place. Both times I've been here, there have been a couple of children on the premises. The front door lacks a "closer" so each time it is opened, a rush of (often) cold air comes in followed by a loud slam. Do not make the mistake of sitting at the table directly in front of it, as I did.

One big complaint about this restaurant is that the food (both times) was served just slightly warm. The grated cheese didn't even quite melt on the refried beans so that tells you something. Perhaps more important, though, is the food lacks any depth of flavor. Hard to convey here, but anyone who is fond of Mexican food (or is a cook) will know what I mean. I remember thinking that this food could have easily come from someone's home kitchen as perhaps an early attempt at Mexican cuisine. On top of that, the portions are on the small side. I finished my lunch easily and could have eaten more.

I feel I'm being harsh here, but it's an honest review. This website is cherished by many simply because the reviews are from average people looking for a good place to eat or stay--not written by a professional. So there you have it!

Visited December 2012
Riverside Cty
“Great sauce, big portions”
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

The town was quiet for a midweek lunch but the service was warm and friendly. Had chille relleno, combo plate and iced tea. Great sauce...dark with a touch of mole.