Redwood Suites
$116
$90
$87
Agoda.com
Super 8 Fortuna(Fortuna)(Great Value!)
$77
The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel(Fortuna)(Great Value!)
$89
Official Site
Travel Inn(Fortuna)
$89
Priceline
Best Western Country Inn(Fortuna)(Great Value!)
$103
$91
Agoda.com
$100
ComfortInn
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn(Eureka)(Great Value!)
$108
$102
Priceline
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsliving roomsister hotelrelaxed staymain streetcancellation policyone bedroom apartmentroadside motellovely victorianeating breakfastgrocery storedecent sized bathroomroom was cleanbusy roadwalking distancemotorcycle tripcharming townbreakfast was included
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We stayed in the Eel River room and were very satisfied. This is essentially a one bedroom apartment with small living room/dinette, full kitchen, queen size bedroom, and one full bathroom. Kitchen includes good sized refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, electric can opener, and full size electric range. A small four seat dining table and small five foot couch (more like a love seat) with end tables and lamps adorn the living room/dining area. The bedroom has a queen size bed which is a little soft for our taste, but still very comfortable and we were able to sleep well on it. The bedroom dresser has a few gouges and marks in it and should probably be replaced. The bathroom is not overly large by any means, but plenty of room for one person and lots of hot water available. I noticed a small amount of mold on the ceiling above the shower head. The linoleum in the kitchen area is worn and discolored in some places and should be replaced. Otherwise everything in the apartment is very clean and in good condition.

I read the other reviews stating that the place is somewhat outdated, but in my opinion there’s nothing outdated about the Eel River room. Perhaps the owners took the advice of previous reviewers and we are now benefiting from the renovated room. If so, NICE JOB! There is ONE thing missing from this apartment however; a garbage can. The only such can provided for trash is a small gallon sized one in the bathroom. Not sure if someone just forgot to put it back, but there’s nothing here right now. We checked under all the cabinets to see if it was hidden or something, but no luck. Since we bought some drinks and snacks at the grocery store we simply are using the shopping bag for trash. Note to owners…need a garbage can here. Internet is available free via WIFI but was somewhat on the slow side with a speed test averaging 3mbps down and only 512kbps up. Not horrible, but not stellar either.

It was a bit chilly during our stay in August because Ferndale is close enough to the coast to be affected by the cold Pacific. The heater in the apartment was more than adequate to keep us warm. The television is an older style CRT, not flat screen or high-def, but appears to have a full cable lineup not just the typical half dozen channels you get in so many places. Parking for your car is plentiful and free. Surprisingly, I find the traffic on the road in front of the Eel River room rather loud and annoying, and for such a small town there seems to be a lot of traffic going by the room, and rather quickly at that. Another note to the owners, maybe talk with your police dept about transferring the on-road speed gun to this part of town for a while. The good news is that the bedroom is in the back of the apartment and road noise did not bother us sleeping at night. In summary, this apartment is very welcoming and nice to come “home” to after a long day of touring around.

We wanted to try the restaurant at the Victorian Inn but unfortunately just could not coordinate it with our rather hectic schedule. If you want to do your own cooking there is a pretty well stocked grocery store just around the corner. If you need money there is a bank right next door, and just across from the grocery store is a pharmacy. What Ferndale lacks is a gas station. Well, they do have one (and ONLY one) which is a single pump attached to an above ground tank. Price was $4.39/gallon while most stations in other areas averaged $3.80. So gas up before stopping in Ferndale or make sure you have enough fuel to get to some other location like Eureka, about 15 miles north or Fortuna about 5 miles south.

I don’t suspect Ferndale is a destination for most folks traveling around this area of California, but it does make a nice home base for Avenue of the Giants (AOTG) which was our purpose for traveling here. At check-in I asked about AOTG and was given a very helpful map/guide from the front desk. Redwood Suites is about 15-20 minutes from the Northern entrance to AOTG which makes it very convenient. Having traveled the entire length of AOTG (about 45 miles), we thought the northern half was better than the southern half. More trees, more scenery, just an overall better experience. So if you don’t have time to travel the entire roadway, stay in Ferndale and visit the northern half of it. You can also stay in Garberville about 50 miles to the south and get quick access to the Southern entrance of AOTG, but having gone through Garberville my advice is to bypass it (quickly) and head to Ferndale or Fortuna instead. I hate to say it but I saw nothing of redeeming value within Garberville.

Redwood Suites is convenient to the Redwood Forest, Eureka, and numerous attractions in the area. We would definitely stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend this location to others. Well done and thanks for such a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank joepekoe
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The rooms are very old and tired looking (nothing like the pictures on the website). The shower was awful-no power at all, just dribbled. Ferndale was a real disappointment. Very glad we were only there as a stopover on our road trip. This was probably the worst place we stayed on our 3week trip :-(

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Holley83
VictorianVillager, Owner at Redwood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

We're very surprised, too. We wish this guest had talked to us because we can't find any showers heads that aren't working properly. And about Ferndale...it's a genuine Victorian Village they virtually everyone just loves. Many of our guests are trying to find ways to move here after visiting. But it's not a big city with all the activity that brings. Perhaps that is what was missing for this guest, but I wish they'd come back and give us and village another try. It's not good to have them feel poorly of us.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband, 20-month old daughter, and I had a lovely stay at the Redwood Suites. The staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating. We stayed in the Eel River room, which held us nicely--the baby slept in her pack and play in the living room, and I think we could have easily had the pack and play and pull-out couch open at the same time if we had another child with us. Our bed was incredibly comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. While the furniture was a bit outdated, all the kitchen appliances worked and we didn't spend a ton of time in the room to notice the TV wasn't modern.
Ferndale was a nice little community and Eureka was a few minutes away when we wanted something Ferndale didn't have. It was a great base for exploring the Redwood Parks/surrounding area.

Room Tip: I was very specific with my requests: bed size, needing a bath tub, a door that closed to the bedroom, etc. They were able to accommodate.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank nycmama80
Reviewed August 6, 2011

The room was okay, but was a litle worn and could use some updating. It did have a good, firm mattress though, which was most important. I expected better for the price.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank LindaSG
Reviewed July 31, 2011

If you haven’t been to Ferndale, it’s certainly worth the trip. The entire one-square-mile village is a state historic landmark. It’s graced by magnificent Victorian homes and businesses, and perfectly maintained, unassuming craftsman homes, mostly adorned with lovely gardens. On each of my visits, I stay with innkeepers Lowell Daniels and Jenny Oaks. Twice I’ve taken large tour groups to Ferndale. Recently, I shared Ferndale with a family of friends from Texas. The Martins stayed in the Victorian Inn; I had an apartment-like room at Redwood Suites. As always, accommodations were flawless and Lowell & Jenny were most gracious hosts. On the first evening of our three-night stay, we dined in the Victorian Inn’s V.I. Restaurant. We each chose different entrees, so that we could sample one another’s dishes. All were excellently prepared. I thought my salmon to be the best choice. Suggestions: Visit Ferndale. Enjoy Lowell and Jenny’s hospitality, fine food and libation. Relax. Unwind. You won’t regret it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends