“Perfect, exactly what we were looking for”

Fern River Resort Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Felton
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here in late July 2013 in Cabin 7 I believe. It was very nice, very clean. Everything worked wonderfully. Very quiet and tucked in the redwoods, I really liked Fern River. After checking in I didn't see the owner/operators until I checked out. We used the cabin as a staging point for our vacation, going into Santa Cruz/Henry Cowell State Park/Roaring Camp Rail. It was perfect for us. The river is accessible, very clear, nice place. My daughter enjoyed wading into it. They have a ping pong table, volley ball nets, a small book library, and small toys available to guests.

I really enjoyed the visit, if you are not looking for the rush of a busy hotel atmosphere this is perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank OKLakeGoer
There are newer reviews for Fern River Resort Motel

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Fern River has a nice selection of cabins. They are fairly sparsely furnished -- this is not a luxurious "resort"! We went in with the attitude that it was a step up from camping, so the lack of cookware was no problem for us. They do have pots and pans for a refundable cleaning deposit, but we had brought our own because the website said that they didn't provide any. The grill set up was nice. The bed was harder than I like, though my husband thought it was fine; can't please everyone with a single mattress. The free Wi-Fi is slow, just good enough for checking e-mail, though if you want more bandwidth you can pay for it (we didn't need it, so we didn't.)
The only downside to the cabin itself was the lack of air circulation. Even with all the windows open, it got incredibly hot inside because there is so little breeze. Granted, we were there during a heat wave, but I think it would be nice if they provided some fans during the summer months.
I have to agree with other reviewers that the service is the most lacking aspect. The young lady (daughter?) who checked us in was nice and friendly, but the woman who checked us out was very abrupt and doesn't seem to have the personality to be working in the hospitality industry. I understand it's a family business, but the wife really is not the best person to provide an impression for the motel.
All in all, I would go back. I think it would be an especially nice place to go with young children, maybe as a transition into camping since it has the wilderness feel but some of the comforts of home. We enjoyed our trip and look forward to returning one day!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DancingEmpress
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The people that run this place are extremely difficult to do business with!! They will keep most of your deposit if you cancel your reservations!! I rented a cabin along with several friends who rented their own cabins. Each of us individually paying for our own reservations. Out of a $250 deposit, they returned only 25% to me, saying that since it was a "group" reservation, I was only entitled to that. I cancelled my reservations two months in advance of my stay but they still would not return my money. The rude dude answering the phone told me that if they didn't rent the cabin on the dates that I had booked, I would not receive my money back. Since my original reservation was in the middle of summer, they should have no problem renting it out, right? So just to be sure, I called the weekend of my reservation to see if they had any open cabins and the girl answering the phone told me they had no vacancies, they were completely booked! So I should've gotten my deposit back. Bad, bad business practices. I would never, ever recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
18  Thank wes d
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The cabins are very simple, but they are right in front of the small river. Surroundings are packed with redwoods. Very good vibes and a stone's throw from Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. Good value for the stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Took us an hour to get here from the Bay Area and yet it felt like we were in the Sierras. The cabin is immaculately clean and very comfortable - everything worked. Too many signs everywhere for my taste - could be consolidated onto one sheet of 'advisories'. We had a large deck in the sun with the sound of the river... really lovely. My kind of camping out!

Room Tip: look at their map and choose one away from the main road
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have been going to fern river resort for 11 yrs. and LOVE it. A cozy knotty pine cabin by the river. VERY clean.Our # 1 favorite place to go.Can't wait till next March.
Jack&Susan Smits Grover Beach

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We enjoyed our retreat at The Fern River Resort.The location is near Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park.The cottage was comfortable and charming.The resort staff are all very pleasant and kind.The whole resort is surrounded by redwood trees and many species of plants.The river is on the property and it was a terrific experience to lounge in the evening near the river with a picnic and witness the sunset and the full moon rise completely immersed in nature.The Fern River Resort now has a special place in our hearts due to the overall experience and we intend to visit many times through the years. Best Wishes.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Angelique L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Felton
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 54 in Santa Cruz
Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection

Been to Fern River Resort Motel? Share your experiences!