“No frills, wonderful escape”

Fern River Resort Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Felton
Redondo Beach, California
“No frills, wonderful escape”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We have stayed at Fern River over the New Years weekend 4 times in the past 7 years. It is a great escape from the craziness of San Francisco. The cabins are no frills but you have everything you need for a relaxing stay in the quiet majestic redwoods including a full kitchen (although you do need to provide a $20 deposit to receive a bin of pots and pans). The cabins have always been very clean upon our arrival. The towels are a little thin and the bedding is outdated.

There is great hiking all around the area and Santa Cruz is a short drive should you want to visit. We usually pick up food at the local market and grill all weekend. We have also been during the summer and the riverout back provide a good respite from the heat.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greece530

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Northern CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

Probably not prime time for visiting this place, I was returning to my former home town for a party with old friends. I lived nearby and had always wanted to stay in one of these cabins, so this was the perfect excuse. Being alone and booking for just one night (Friday) they put me in Cabin 12, actually a room attached to another cabin, but completely separate. First getting out of the car, I was suffused with the woodsy smells of earth and warm fires. The redwood groves tower over the campground, where there are arbors, picnic tables, and beach access on the San Lorenzo River. The office has inner tubes enticingly placed on the porch. My cabin was just what a rustic cabin should be. Modest, functional furnishings, very clean, and knotty panelled walls. When I woke up in the night, it was to total silence, and darkness so dense that I truly needed a flashlight just to find the lamp switch.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank CampRedwood
Pismo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

We love this place and stay here whenever we can. The location is great and is conveniently located in the town of Felton and just a short drive from Scotts Valley. The San Lorenzo River and the redwoods create a nice backdrop and just across the river is Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park. There are 12 cabins I believe and we’ve stayed in a lot of them. Each is unique! There are a lot of rules but they’re easy to follow and well worth tolerating. Entertainment includes a heater and sometimes fire in each cabin, TV, some have DVD/Netflix, outdoor badminton, lawn, tether ball and a hot tub. The hot tub is the only thing which seems not worth it to me based on the amount of rules and deposit required to use it. There isn’t a maid, but we find that nice. Everything is clean when you come in and if you want it cleaned afterwards, buckle down and do it yourself. We once locked ourselves out and the manager staying there was very kind and let us in. Each has at least a little kitchenette but they are so much nicer than anything you find at a commercial hotel. The holiday and summer rates are pretty high so try to go in the off season. Most of all we enjoy the quiet, serene atmosphere amongst the redwoods and the river which backs right up to it.

Room Tip: The staff can recommend the room that's best for the amount of people you have and your needs/
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank truckincamper
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We jjust returned from a 4 night stay at Fern River Resort. We had such a great time and would highly recommend it to anyone just wanting to kick back and relax a bit. We stayed in Cabin 9 which had an amazing river view - you could hear the river at night which was so relaxing. It was also extremely close to the steps leading down to the river as the kids beat a path up and down all day long - we couldn't get them out of the river.

We were lucky to borrow an inner tube that a prior traveler had left. If I went back, I would definintely bring my own tube or two as the kids had an amazing time floating around and over the little "rapids".

Cabin 9 was also nice as we were able to sit on the deck and see the kids running back and forth as well as hear them the whole time.

I've read some comments on here about the owners of the resort that were quite unfavorable. I must say that they were nothing less than welcoming to me and my family. Check in was efficient, we were able to use the fire pit and borrow horseshoes, etc. This is not a Hyatt hotel...these people are owner/operators who live on the property. If you ring their bell at 3am to get new towels, they would probably be cranky, but then again, wouldn't you?

My family and I look forward to returning next summer and will probably encourage some of our friends to join us.

Room Tip: take a look at their website. they do an nice job of providing pictures and descriptions of their c...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Dejosa
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

For its hotel/motel class, this is a great find. The cabins are rustic and very basic. If you love this area like I do for the nature surrounding it, you will like this place. It was quiet and peaceful...just what I needed. It would be great for families or solo retreats. If you want something more luxurious, I would look into private rentals in the area. Beautiful spot.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jenjram
Friday Harbor, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We recently spent 4 wonderful days at Fern River Resort. Everything was perfect from the check in to check out. We stayed here several years ago and loved it then, but since then Dan (the owner) has remodeled most of the cabins and they're better than ever. Very clean comfortable, great kitchen and bathroom, flat screen TV, propane fireplace and the wonderful deck overlooking the river. We and family rented 3 cabins total and everyone loved it and had a great time! Part of our family, which included two children ages 7 & 8, had cabin 11A which has a great spiral staircase to their loft. The kids had a great time. I've read the negative reviews and can only say these people don't understand "cabin" or possibly just like to complain. Their reviews shouldn't even be considered. Dan, his wife and the housekeeping staff were great, helpful and cheerful. We'll definitely visit again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JaneFridayHarbor_WA
Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

I fell at Yosemite and had a bad back injury- Tried to cancel Sunday early for the Tuesday stay, as we had to go home early. The man was short on the phone, actually had me down for Wed. not Tues.- I had an e-mail confirmation with me, and told me to forget it!! Probable the best $200 bucks I ever wasted with that attitude.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank ginnyfromkansas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Felton
Quality Inn & Suites Santa Cruz Mountains
Dream Inn
Dream Inn
#3 of 54 in Santa Cruz
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,263 reviews

Been to Fern River Resort Motel? Share your experiences!