“Beautiful log home”

Ranked #1 of 2 Fawnskin B&B and Inns
Grangeville, Idaho
“Beautiful log home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

The home itself it gorgeous and many, many extra touches make it fun just to walk through and look at structure of the home, the antiques and many touches. I had negotiated a special rate that did not include breakfast (served past the time i was leaving each of the 3 mornings I stayed). I was truly sorry to miss it since everyone raves about it. I agree, some things could have been a little better. They ask that you don't leave the heater on druing the day so the first day I got back to my room it was freezing and took forever to warm up. Never could get the room heated up much, even when I put the heater all the way up. Could use a really good cleaning, I know it is a log home, but even the lamps and bedrailings were dusty. Time for a good spring cleaning. Loved the DVD library and watched a movie two nights. Availabilty of hot tea was a plus, but no (fake) creamer out the first morning and it is a big no no to go in the kitchen. They have "cookies" set out each night, but they were hard, not covered and the same ones all three days I was there. I suggest a cover be put over the plate and fresh cookies would be nice. I would not suggest thi splace for people with handicaps, because even the downstairs room you have to climb stairs to get into the B&B. The stairs going upstairs to those 3 rooms are steep and narrow. The hosts are extremely friendly and I enjoyed my visits with them and Heidi the dog.

Room Tip: I had the smallest room, the Woodland. Would not want to share it with anyone, even my husband. Ge...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank whitewolf678

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

This place is cozy, full of beautiful antiques, and we got there in 1hr and 45min from South Orange County. Bill and Nancy are the best hosts and have made the Inn a true gem of a getaway. Breakfast is delicious and most of the items served are straight from Nancy's own published cookbook. We stayed for our anniversary and it was just the perfect choice! There are many things to enjoy in the Big Bear Lake area but we spent most of our time just hanging out at the Inn. I highly recommend the Inn for a unique and relaxing experience. This was our second stay here and we will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve D
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I only booked our stay at The Inn because of the raving reviews. I'm happy to say that they were all accurate. The inn is nicely kept and all the decor is beautiful. My husband and I usually stay at big hotels that offer generic rooms, so when we arrived at the inn, it was so nice to see all the personal touches. We found the inn to be relaxing and very accommodating. Your stay includes a homemade breakfast which was always simply delicious. They also have a very extended dvd library for late movies in your room. The inn is not located near the shopping village, but it's between a 10 minute drive. I love the fact that it's right accross the lake, so morning walks along the lake were great. I would highly recommend this inn to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing and comfortable stay. The innkeepers are incredibly hospitable and definitely make the stay enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HulaPris
Whittier, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

It is unusual that a rental establishment receives consistently glowing reviews, so I approached this place with a bit of skepticism. After spending two days at the Inn at the Fawnskin...the skepticism dissipated and was replaced with enthusiasm for returning to this warm, welcoming, and stimulating environment. As I have always stayed at hotels or timeshares at first I felt a bit intrusive as the place feels more like a home than a lodging establishment. My girlfriend and I stayed in the Lakeview suite and got plenty of use from the fireplace. The inn itself is beautifully built, tastefully and lovingly decorated. I really could not believe all the references to Nancy and Bill's hospitality in the prior reviews but I can honestly say that this is the first time I ever left an establishment with a genuine fondness for those with whom I stayed (you just don't get that feeling from a hotel). After spending just two days there I learned that Nancy is a very talented chef and singer, that Bill is a stellar builder, that they are both real estate specialists for the big bear area, that they are dedicated to serving their community, and that the two run what I believe is the best bed and breakfast that I will ever have the opportunity to frequent. I will definitely keep my eyes open for any future promotions or offers to return and wish we had stayed longer. What more could you possibly ask for from a place to stay?

Room Tip: Each room has its own character and are well described on the inn's website.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elwitty
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

Spent 2 nights at the Squirrel's Nest cabin in December of 2010. Was looking for a spot in the mountains to celebrate my wife's birthday. Friendly management, great view. Spend several hours hiking through the woods and enjoying the zoo. Sitting on the deck of the cabin, sharing a bottle of champagne was truly the highlight.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

We had a wonderful overnight stay at the Inn at Fawnskin on Big Bear Lake. The Inn is both rustic log cabin style, but quite warm and homey inside. The innkeepers Bill and Nancy were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. We enjoyed our stay in the Lakeview suite, which had a partial view of the lake, a small outside sitting porch overlooking the shaded yard, and a nice reading area in the room in front of a capable fireplace. Fortunately the temperature dropped to 40 d., and we enjoyed a wood fire during the evening. Breakfast the next morning was outstanding, and our hosts joined us and the other guests for some interesting coversation. The Inn at Fawnskin is a wonderful place to relax and unwind - we just wish we could have stayed a bit longer!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

Nancy and Bill (and their dog Heidi!) are the best hosts you could ever ask for! The Inn, the home, is so full of love and comfort. You walk in and are immediately greeted with smiles from ear to ear and freshly baked cookies (by Nancy herself!) and hot cocoa. We stayed in the Lakeshore Suite for my birthday- what a TREAT! High ceiling, huge bed, fireplace, and a balcony you can step out and see the lake!
Nancy cooked homemade delicious breakfasts in the morning, and Bill kept us up to date on snowboarding/skiing conditions for the day... Such phenomenal human beings with incredible service. We're already planning to come back for the summer! This is so much more than just a bed and breakfast. This is a magical, wonderful experience beyond any hotel stay I've ever had- and I've traveled a LOT.
Thank you, Nancy and Bill!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank internationalaudrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fawnskin
Big Bear Frontier Cabins
The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort
Cienaga Creek Ranch
Cienaga Creek Ranch
#3 of 16 in Big Bear Region

Been to The Inn at Fawnskin? Share your experiences!