“2 Night Stay for Golf”
Review of Pala Mesa Resort

Pala Mesa Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Fallbrook
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised given the plethora of negative reviews here. My experience was NOT negative, however they do need to improve some things. Ice machines are inadequate, even those that worked. Room was comfortable, clean albeit somewhat dated. Pool was not clean. Restaurant was satisfactory, however the menu is skewed toward higher priced dishes. Staff were friendly and responsive. Course was challenging and in reasoanable condition.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
PMRManagement, Front Office Manager at Pala Mesa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Roadking51,

I am happy to hear that you had an overall good experience at our resort. Although you mentioned that the rooms were dated, we are expecting major renovations in 2014. Hopefully then the appearance will be more to your liking. However, I am pleased to hear that the room was well-cleaned. With this new renovation you can expect the ice machines and pool to be attended to as well. I am glad you had a chance to dine at our restaurant. Usually our prices are paired pretty well with surrounding restaurants. We do strive to excel especially at our customer service, so I'm glad you we're pleased with our performance. Also, we did a punching of the greens on October 7--right after you left! Hopefully you will come back for another stay and play vacation and see how much better they feel and look!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Fabulous. Fabulous. Fabulous. Our daughter's wedding was everything a bride and groom could want, and with the knowledge and incredible help of wedding director Ms. Luciana Nichols of Pala Mesa our daughter's wedding came true!!!! She worked with us on every detail. Luciana worked within our budget! We just cannot say enough about this wonderful woman!!! Then we have our Ms. Briana. She also did her best to work within our budget, keep us organized, in her very undemanding demeanor!! What a gem!!! In fact, these two women are absolutely amazing!!! You will not find anyone better at ANY venue. Speaking about venues, this property is gorgeous , yet intimate. On top of all this, Mr. Bill Johnson, general manager, oversees the whole event! He is a "hands-on manager!!! He is there to meet and greet you so you do have a great experience!!! We are telling you, this facility is like one big family , willing to bend over backward for you!!! And yes, we are still reliving the incredible memories of our daughter's wedding two weeks ago!! Oh, let us not forget the fabulous Chef Sean, he and his crew know how to "wow" our guests with his delicious fish and chicken! Believe us, far from your typical wedding meal!!! Guests still raving about their meals!!! And then you have Ben, catering manager. Both Ben and Briana have the patience of a saint!! Thank you again! Ms. Leah, your leadership that day was also very much appreciated and needed. And lastly, none of this would have happened without Ms. Kelly, reservation manager! She was so enthusiastic about Pala's wedding site, and how fabulous it was indeed! Thank you! We cannot wait to return for a non-wedding weekend!! Again, Luciana and Briana, you two are a godsend!!!! Thank you,

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Gat4242,

I am so enthused to hear that you had such an outstanding experience at our resort! The banquets staff works well with our kitchen staff as well as our reservations staff. I am happy to hear that all of your requests were happily received and addressed. Here at the Pala Mesa Resort we pride ourselves on outstanding service, and it looks like we delivered! We hope to see you again soon. Maybe next time you can enjoy our 18 hole golf course--or even just hit some balls on the driving range. Again, I'm so happy to hear that you had a great time. See you soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed for a wedding and the only good part of this "resort" was the views around it. The carpets had dog pee stains and even after switching rooms it was bad. Very old and run down. The room smelled musty. For the money we spent we could have replaced the carpet for them. I would never want to stay again even if the rooms were free.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Diane A

Dear Diane A.,

I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay. Since we are a pet-friendly hotel, accidents do happen! However, we are having a major renovation starting in 2014. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the scenery. We hope you enjoyed the wedding as well as the venue. The Cliff Terrace where the reception was held must have looked beautiful. Maybe once we go through our renovations, you would consider giving us another chance. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed one night at Pala Mesa for a wedding. The grounds driving up were very nice but misleading once you see the room. We stayed in room 259 which is a non smoking room. Clearly the room had been used extensively by smokers. Cigarette burns in the carpet and in the blanket. Musty smell in room, the carpet long overdue for a shampoo, really dirty.
Too bad, the golf course and the surrounding area and hotel guests deserve better accommodations. My husband and I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kathleenmarie
PMRManagement, Front Office Manager at Pala Mesa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Kathleen Marie,

First off I want to apologize for your dissatisfaction with the room accommodations. I have thoroughly pointed out your concerns to my housekeeper in the room you occupied. I do want to mention we are in the process of doing a major renovation in 2014. We sure hope that you choose to give us a second chance, and if you decide to please email me and i will make sure you get the best avail rate possible to make up for your previous stay. Enjoy the rest of your year!
Email: jbryant@palamesa.com

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Was completely unimpressed with this resort. Unless you are a golfer it pretty much sucks. Had trouble with the ac in our room and our pillows had a rank smell. Beds were pretty uncomfortable and the meager menu was horribly over priced. The pool is tiny

On the plus side hotel employees were nice and maintenance was quick to respond.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Leh527, I am sorry you weren't satisfied with our on property amenities while you stayed with us. We are planning on MAJOR renovation in 2014 where we could possibly have more activities for you to participate in. Moving forward I was at least happy to see our staff was able to give you quick and immediate service. If you so choose to come back, please send me an email i will personally make sure you get the best available rate and room.
Email: Jbryant@palamesa.com

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Booked the 'unlimited' golf package. Great value, will not hesitate to recommend to others who simply want to play as much golf as possible on a challenging yet fun layout.

The grounds are in good shape - lots of time and effort spent maintaining landscaping. And ti shows. The resort/accommodations definitely need a facelift. Couple of examples:
1 - The mattress in my room was very soft and needs to be replaced
2 - The TV quality in my room was really weak; looked like the rabbit ears needed to be adjusted
3 - The lodging units themselves look quite worn - not so inviting.

But all of that is easy to overlook when you have a clean room and a hot shower. Like I said, for a buddies golf trip, all you need is a quiet place to sleep and clean up between marathon days of golf. And that's what Pala delivers (in terms of lodging).

The golf course itself is a great layout. It's challenging yet fair and fun. The greens were in really good condition. However, the fairways were miserable. We simply had to resort to "winter rules" through the green. I don't really understand how they can spend so much time and effort on the grounds, but leave the course in such poor condition (other than the greens, of course).

Normally, I'd hesitate to recommend a course in such poor condition. But three reasons to overlook:
1 - Greens were great; so playing "winter rules" is an easy way around the issue (albeit a poor one)
2 - Ability to play at least 2, sometimes 3 rounds per day; cannot beat the quantity of golf available
3 - Pricing is unbeatable; you can realistically get in 5 rounds over 2 days; value unmatched

Would be OK to stay for a couples trip - but the real value is in the sheer quantity of golf, not in the resort itself. As a pure resort play (that is, take out the golf), I would not recommend it in its current condition. But I plan to make this an annual trip for SD area golf with buddies. Just keep in mind that you're not getting a pristine course, but you are getting maximum golf and a clean, quiet place to sleep and shower.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Bryan M.
So glad to hear you had a great time with your buddies at the Pala Mesa Resort! The golf is usually our number one raved-about aspect of our property. I was concerned to hear about some of the small issues you had in your hotel room. However I am pleased to say that we are in the process of starting a major renovation for 2014, and i am sure when you visit us again it will exceed all your expectations.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and our two children checked in just before 10pm on a Saturday night. Loud music was just ending in one of the banquet areas which could be heard from all over. The Front Lobby was tidy but smelled old and musty. Fliers of current events were up to one month out of date. Our room was on the first floor at the back of the property. The room smelled. It obviously hasn't been remodeled for twenty+ years. I'm talking bedspreads and throw pillows...which I threw in the closet. The blankets were even older. The pillows were flat foam. The beds were hard. The carpet was gross. The plastic toilet was yellow with age and who knows what else. I covered it in tissue each time I had to use it. The shower/tub was so grimy that I refused to use it at all. We could hear people in the room above us walking. The outdoor patio could have been a positive except it had snap-together plastic furniture and a dead potted plant. It appears they have tried to put some band aids on this "resort" every now and then. What this place really needs is to tear back to the interior studs and start over.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kristen H

Dear Kristen H.,
I am very sorry that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay at the Pala Mesa Resort. Your concerns about the out-of-date fliers are understandable; therefore, I hope the front desk agents and supervisors were able to answer any questions you had about local attractions and activities. I am also regretful that you were unimpressed with your room. However, I think you will be pleased to hear that we are in fact "tear[ing] back to the interior studs" and expecting a huge renovation in 2014. I hope that once we "start over", you will give us a second chance to make up for your last stay. Thank you for the concerns.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fallbrook
Quality Inn Fallbrook I-15
#2 of 6 in Fallbrook
Ponte Vineyard Inn
Ponte Vineyard Inn
#1 of 19 in Temecula

Been to Pala Mesa Resort? Share your experiences!