“This Mesa is a Skeevy Mess”
Review of Pala Mesa Resort

Pala Mesa Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Fallbrook
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and our two children checked in just before 10pm on a Saturday night. Loud music was just ending in one of the banquet areas which could be heard from all over. The Front Lobby was tidy but smelled old and musty. Fliers of current events were up to one month out of date. Our room was on the first floor at the back of the property. The room smelled. It obviously hasn't been remodeled for twenty+ years. I'm talking bedspreads and throw pillows...which I threw in the closet. The blankets were even older. The pillows were flat foam. The beds were hard. The carpet was gross. The plastic toilet was yellow with age and who knows what else. I covered it in tissue each time I had to use it. The shower/tub was so grimy that I refused to use it at all. We could hear people in the room above us walking. The outdoor patio could have been a positive except it had snap-together plastic furniture and a dead potted plant. It appears they have tried to put some band aids on this "resort" every now and then. What this place really needs is to tear back to the interior studs and start over.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kristen H
PMRManagement, Front Office Manager at Pala Mesa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Kristen H.,
I am very sorry that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay at the Pala Mesa Resort. Your concerns about the out-of-date fliers are understandable; therefore, I hope the front desk agents and supervisors were able to answer any questions you had about local attractions and activities. I am also regretful that you were unimpressed with your room. However, I think you will be pleased to hear that we are in fact "tear[ing] back to the interior studs" and expecting a huge renovation in 2014. I hope that once we "start over", you will give us a second chance to make up for your last stay. Thank you for the concerns.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Wonderful venue, beautiful surroundings around Patio & staging area, incredible dining, and most of all the kindest, courteous, efficient Staff anyone could ask for. We were the Entertainment for the Evening, and several "Senior" Patrons were not prepared for our style of Country-Fueled Rock & Roll. The Middle-Aged Attendees were ready for a Party and some Dancing, but that was blanketed by the EXTREMELY LOW Volume Level we had to play at to please the Dinner/ "My hearing Aid is feeding back" Audience. If you like LIVE Music, it would be a good idea to check ahead to find out what Musical Genre the Act that evening is most representative of. With all due respect, I would have given anything to have been Lawrence Welk with his Bubble Machine last Friday night. Neil Morris / Bass Guitarist

Room Tip: I am not one to advise,I doubt there is a "Bad Room" at the Resort. Ours was spacious, rel...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Neil M

Dear Neil M.,
I am so glad to hear that you were impressed with our staff and their service. In turn, thank you for agreeing to play at our venue. I hope that you can understand that we try to best accommodate ALL our guests, which is why the level of the music was not as loud as you would have liked. However, I hope you still had the response you were looking for with the "Middle-Aged Attendees" who were ready for a party! We hope that you will return for an encore performance soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

If your on your way to or from SanDiego tis is a very quaint place to stop for a night or weekend. If you golf they ave a nice coarse. Great view of the mountains apologize and a nice bar area that plays live music on certain nights. Also a great place fr a wedding.Close to wine tasting vineyards too.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the pool with a balcony over looking the golf coarse.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Graybarnett,
I am glad that you were pleased with what you saw at our resort. It is true that our golf course is a solid hit, and we do hold plenty of weddings here as well. The restaurant and bar is also very well-reviewed. I hope that in the near future you will be able to stay with us again so that we may continue to hold your high standing.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had a nice room (1 story so no one above us) with a small balcony to sit and enjoy the golf course view. Bed was very comfortable, room and furniture nice. This is an older property but I found it in good condition.

All of the staff (from the front desk to housekeeping) were SO friendly and helpful.

The restaurant was ok. Too bad the flies have been an issue this year - they make dinner time a little frustrating!

Really liked the "tiger" sandwich from the golf snack bar...nice beer selection too.

Enjoyed the golf course.

Had a great deal for this trip thru underpar.com

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Melissa H.,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Pala Mesa Resort. I am also very pleased that you thought despite our older facility, we were still in "good condition". In 2014 we are expecting a major renovation. I hope that you will come back to visit us and find that we are in excellent condition then! I am pleased that you enjoyed your service during your stay and I hope, in visits to come, our staff will continue to impress you. I hope that the food and service was good despite the problems with restaurant, but I'm glad you enjoyed the Snack Bar as another alternative. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have been going to this resort for over 30 years. It is in a lovely spot, a warm and cozy environment. Lovely well maintained golf course that is always fun to play. Rooms are large and comfortable. Maybe not as "modern" as some may like but clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Andrew N.,
I am so glad that you have had such a wonderful, and continuous, experience with us over the years. I am pleased that you enjoyed the spacious rooms and golf course. As you mentioned, we may not be as modern as some like, but we pride ourselves on our rustic feel. We hope that you will continue to visit us in years to come and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed with a friend during memorial day weekend for wine tasting. I tried to get a refund from Kelly Putignani (Front Desk Supervisor) and the best they would do is give me a free night stay (not interested!). I should have gotten a refund or at least half off of what I paid. The problem was that there was a wedding reception going on most of the night with Mariachi Music and we could not get any sleep. Service was very poor and could not even get a wine opener from the front desk and the restaurant never answered neither did the "concierge" which apparently there wasn't one. The rooms are outdated and smelly. Too bad because it has potential if they would upgrade and renovate the place and not cater to weddings only. They absolutely do not care for the hotel guest and just care about making money doing weddings. Steer clear! Waste of money and time on the ph w/expedia and the resort trying to get my money back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valid908,
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay on Memorial Day Weekend. We do try to cater to all our guests (wedding and hotel) as best as possible, but I am sorry that we were not able to fully accommodate your requests. I am sorry that all our bottle openers at the front desk were gone, but I hope that you were finally able to get one from the restaurant. I apologize that you were not pleased with the room, but we are expecting a major renovation in 2014. Hopefully once we have "upgraded and renovated" you will consider returning and give us a second chance to meet your expectations. Concerning a refund, I hope you understand that we had no jurisdiction over that since you had already paid for the room through Expedia. I hope that other than the inability to refund you, Kelly and the rest of the staff was courteous and helpful. Thank you for your concerns.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We needed a quick little getaway and we're pleasantly surprised by the Pala Mesa Resort. Though it is smaller and a little older than some places, the atmosphere was very relaxing. The golf course is nicely taken care of, the food at the restaurant was VERY good, and our room was quite spacious and comfortable. The pool area is very nice with towels, showers, and a eating area with umbrellas, just make sure to bring food and drink with you. I would stay here again and join their Aqua Dinner Club, with discounts on room and food, ...and 2 free golf rounds

Room Tip: They all face the same direction, smaller rooms tend to have a better view for some reason, but then...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank muffinjen

Dear Jen,
I am glad that you were "pleasantly surprised" with our resort. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere, food, rooms, and grounds. Also, you are more than welcome to order carry-out from the restaurant and bring it to the pool for a picnic! I hope you picked up an Aquaterra Application! If not, you can always find it online. It is true that you get the great deals on food and rooms as well as other amenities. And don't forget Member Mondays! You get 50% off food and beverage at the restaurant. We hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fallbrook
Quality Inn Fallbrook I-15
#2 of 6 in Fallbrook
Ponte Vineyard Inn
Ponte Vineyard Inn
#1 of 19 in Temecula

Been to Pala Mesa Resort? Share your experiences!