“What the homeless shelter does with their used sheets”

Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Fairfield
San Diego, California
“What the homeless shelter does with their used sheets”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

If you like thread bare paper thin gauzy worn sheets, this is your hotel. The view for a platinum member was spectacular of the parking lot and back of Raley's grocery store. The restaurant and bar is under construction. The bar is in a temporary tiny room no one would want to spend time in. The restaurant is in a windowless conference room. But those sheets!

Stayed June 2014
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments, we are working with our distributor on the issue with the threadbare sheets. I apologize that you were not impressed with our temporary breakfast and bar setup, but we will be reopening our lobby in september I urge you to come back and check us out it will be amazing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I would say this hotel is currently a 3.5. I redeemed Marriott points so I really have no legitimate complaints. The front desk staff were all friendly and most helpful. They get five stars. Also, the price was really nice...

The beds were comfy and the room was large. The balcony was nice, though I didn't use it. I like the fact that there is a spa on site after a hard day in Napa.

My issues were the following: the AC was rather loud at night, the shower curtain was too short (and therefore messy), and the bathroom doors have about an inch clearance to the toilet, when closing the door. It was very cramped.

I see from the comments below from the GM that some of this is being remedied, so if/when this happens, it will be a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for us, we take all of the input and use it for a learning experience to better serve you in the future. You are correct we are slated for renovation in our rooms for later this year which will take care of the issues that you had, we are very excited about it and hope that you come see us again to experience the exciting changes that are happening at our property.
Pleasant View, Tennessee
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Had a nice stay here. The staff here are excellent.
The lobby was being remolded so did not stay in the lobby to long.
The room was big, clean and nicely appointed. Beds are comfortable.
Pool and hot tub were also nice, Towels are also provided poolside.
Breakfast in available for a fee but was worth the expense.
The servers in the dinning room were excellent as well. Would stay here again.

1 Thank Tony O
MN
Reviewed July 4, 2014

For some reason, the reviews were less than glowing on this property, and as a frequent Marriott guest, I did some online shopping to compare, then chose this because I was staying on points, and didn't expect to be in the room much anyway with Napa and Sonoma just down the road. I was coming from the San Fran Marriott Marquis, and obviously a Courtyard is not in the same cost category as the full Marriott brand hotel. That said, I expected to be a little disappointed as I stepped down - but I was not!
Let me first say - the staff were super - recognized my Marriott status, and helped us with some wine tasting coupons. They were very apologetic about not having a wine opener (someone borrowed their last one and did not return it) so we bought one across the street, and I told the desk agent I'd leave it for her, but not until we're ready to check out, and she laughed.

The rooms are great, exactly what you'd expect from a Courtyard (each Courtyard has a style based on the year built, and this one is not out of date, it has cherry wood cabinets in nice condition, dark blue carpet in very nice condition and clean, plain white bedding of good quality, basic towels in good condition, good lighting and lots of space in the room, Paul Mitchell bath products). It appears they are planning a remodel, but even in the current state, it's nice. Our bathroom was small but very clean, spotless even, tile on floor a bit dated, but who cares, it was in great condition so why replace it? In the US we get so used to constantly throwing things out, but if you ever travel internationally you'll see that things built well might stay around a long time, and in the spirit of reduce, reuse, recycle, why waste it? The room we had was an end room, extended king, with microwave and small refrig, with balcony (none of the balconies seemed to have chairs, which I thought a bit disappointing). The freeway noise was not an issue, although the rooms on the freeway side might have an opinion on that. We were in 438, a generously sized room with siders to a balcony with a solid half wall, (some have metal railings), with a great view of the rolling hills. There are real glasses and cups in the room (I like this vs the paper or plastic ones) and there are water and coffee stations throughout the hotel, a nice touch.
There is a grocery across the parking lot, and there are a few fast food or basic restaurants within a 2 block area, and across freeway there are additional options including mid-scale sit-down restaurants. Easy to find location.
Outdoor pool looked nice, well kept and busy, both with kids swimming and adults relaxing in chaise lounge chairs. Lobby and public areas are clean, gym is decent size compared to many Courtyards where it's just a tiny room. Rooms are quiet, and while we heard people in the hallway that's because sometimes inconsiderate people stand and talk on cel phones or to each other far louder than is respectful when outside someone else's door - not a fault of the property, a factor of inconsiderate guests (don't be that guy).
There was some mention of loud HVAC - the bathroom fan stays on 24/7 and is a little loud but it's like white noise and you will probably not notice it much. The AC unit wasn't unusually loud, and the controls are current with digital readouts.
I recommend this Courtyard and would stay again any time, with family or without - This is a great and affordable option if you are looking to be near Napa but not interested in paying the high rates of the boutique hotels. For the price, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Overall it's a 4.5, but this scale only allows whole numbers, so as it's not an 'elite' property in a highly walkable neighborhood, I ranked it a 4 - don't let that dissuade you from picking this one.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end, e.g. 438, have balcony but do not face traffic, and are generously sized.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kjhMN
San Ramon
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I am a Gold Marriott Member. That means to me over 350 nights sleeping at Marriott Hotels – almost on year of my life! I share this because I am a fan of the chain, but not a fan of this hotel. The Courtyard – Fairfield is not worth your hard earned money.

The rooms are barely current, but the amenities are dated. Queen size is not really queen sized for some bizarre reason. And the beds are pretty damn hard. Pillows suck. The drapes drag on the floor. The front desk can be brain dead after management goes home. Here is an example: question: what time does the buffet open? Answer: “I don’t know. You can call in the morning and find out.” Next question: “Is there any way you can find out so that we can plan our morning” Answer: “Either 6am or 7am. It would be better if you called yourself in the morning.”

Here is the worst of it. The buffet in the morning – the food was unattractive. I don’t mean that it had blonde roots, or braces. I mean, if you look at the plain scrambled eggs, in addition to being watery (there is more water in those eggs than we have in Northern California due to the drought), but there were also flecks of something that did not belong. No, it was not bacon bits. No, it was not green onion. It was like brown finger nails. It was gross!!!! Unfortunately, we had already paid, so we were held hostage. And we were on our way out the door, so not time to problem solve with the staff who could care less. It was expensive oatmeal! Still don’t know exactly what this was. The way this was displayed wide open, maybe someone sneezed or coughed. From the look of the guests and some of the help, very possible.

Yes, they are going through renovation this month. But that renovation is no excuse for the display of the food or the poor customer service.

Like I said, I am a fan of the Marriott chain. But from now on, when I see that Courtyard sign off highway 80 in Fairfield, I will think “sneezed, watery, scrambled eggs!”

Room Tip: It is cleaner to eat from the street than at the buffet!
1 Thank CARainmaker
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments, we do take all of your words to heart and will be addressing each issue with the staff. There is no excuse for the experience that you had and I would appreciate if you have the time to contact me at the hotel I would like to compensate you for it. We take great pride in our hotel so believe me that this review has hit us very hard, and we will use it as a learning experience to better serve in the future. Thank you again
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This hotel started life as a Holiday Inn Select and became a Courtyard in 2007. Service at front desk was great, but that was the highlight. Windows cannot be opened and air conditioners are so loud that you can't hear the TV. Had to turn it off to sleep. Rooms are narrow and difficult to get past the double beds to desk and window. Bathroom is so small that there is only a quarter inch clearance between door and toilet, and only about a foot to tub. Shower curtain was so short that floor was soaked at end of shower. Beds were lumpy and bedding must have come from Holiday Inn days as it pulled off bed and needed to be re-stretched around corners several times in night.

This is definitely NOT up to Courtyard by Marriot standards in any respect other than front desk attention.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms with a single king bed allow more movement?
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Walt F
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback and I am sorry that we did not fullfill yours or our expectations we are in the process of replacing the ptac units in the rooms which shoud alleviate the noisiness, and we are excited to be renovating the rooms later this year which should help with the other issues you encountered. I am glad that my staff was one of the bright spots of your stay I will definately pass that on to them.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Staff was very very nice, hotel grounds were nice and location was convenient (grocery store, restaurants and many shops nearby, only 60 minutes to downtown San Fran). The pool was very cold for June and our balcony was dissapointing. We had no balcony chairs (while other rooms did) and our balcony overlooked a roof. Outside of that, It worked for our family and is priced very well. You MUST eat at Huckleberrys right by the hotel. If you are near Berkley, go to ICI for ice cream.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. Thank you for letting us know about the pool temperature I am going to have my maintenance staff look into that perhaps the heater is malfunctioning. Once again thank you for your comments they help us to better serve you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
Hilton Garden Inn Fairfield
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area
Staybridge Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area
Hampton Inn and Suites Suisun City Waterfront
Homewood Suites by Hilton Fairfield - Napa Valley Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairfield - Napa Valley

Been to Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area? Share your experiences!