“Nice rooms, but poor service”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Fairfield
New York City, New York
“Nice rooms, but poor service”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel as others mentioned is quite nice. The service however leaves a lot to be desired. I had found two roaches in my room, and could not get anyone to help me remove them. I asked if someone could spray the room, and that too didn't happen. I spoke to the manager about it and he was a bit rude and unapologetic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chico, California
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Fairfield Inn is the next rung down on Marriott's foodchain, below Courtyard, but this hotel was way more than satisfactory. The purpose of our trip was to attend an event at Solano Community College and the location of the Fairfield Inn is ideal for that, being a drive of just a couple of minutes away.

The staff was uniformly enthusiastic from the front desk to the folks presenting and cleaning up in the breakfast area. High marks to the manager for hiring well.

The guest room was reasonably sized and even though the freeway (I-80) wasn't very far away, the room and hotel were very quiet.

I'm not sure if I've ever stayed at a Fairfield Inn before, but I was pleasantly surprised at the selection and quality of the breakfast buffet. I expected something very plain (like most Best Westerns) but there was premade scrambled eggs, sausage patties, and mini-omelettes, plus various breads, cereals, granola bars, Greek yoghurt, juice, and even (a first at any hotel for me so far) soymilk. Very nice.

The breakfast area was of ample size, though crowded at the time we ate only because a young sports team was there.

The front desk gave us an asked-for late (very late: 1:30 pm) check-out without any problem.

While the hotel is not in a very interesting area it is easily accessible from the freeway (I-80/680) and convenient to other places such as Napa that other reviewers have noted. The city of Fairfield itself is a few miles east on I-80. Note that there is only one driveway to the hotel from Pittman Road, and it appears very quickly as one rounds a curve in the street. We missed it the first time and went a couple of hundreds yards further and then made a u-turn to get back.

If you have reason to be in the Fairfield, California area I can heartily recommend the Fairfield Inn & Suites there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoomForRent1
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We recently visited Napa and we stayed at this hotel because we got a great deal on a room compared to prices of hotels in Napa. It is just outside of Napa so we did have an hour drive to get to the Calistoga wineries and a 20 minute drive to Napa wineries. But, it is a scenic drive and we didn't mind the drive at all. It also is about a 40 minute drive from San Francisco.

Breakfast at the hotel is great and the rooms were comfortable and clean. The front desk staff were friendly and answered our questions about wineries and also about shipping wine. There is free internet but we didn't use it. The surrounding area is okay. We ended up walking to Straw Hat Pizza for dinner one night. There isn't a lot of places to eat in the area so I recommend eating in Napa or Sonoma if you are looking for a nice sit down restaurant instead of waiting till you get back to the hotel.

We would stay there again if returning to Napa.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelfan101520
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Pros:
* quiet and clean nice big rooms
* free parking, wifi, breakfast with hot foods
* AC system works well
* nice staff

Cons:
* location is 9 miles from napa valley so really vaguely in the area and about 15 mins from downtown napa and 40 mins from popular vineyards
* toilet system broke once

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent one night here, found it to be wonderful place. Enjoyed the indoor pool & jacuzzi. The breakfast was excellent & everything kept fresh. The staff was friendly & helpful. We plan on a return trip next month.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a microwave & fridge. We were on ground floor, convenient for everything.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Eureka, California
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The room was quiet and there was a setting on the air conditioner/heater for the fan to run continually. I use this setting as white noise when I'm sleeping. The fan was just loud enough to help block out any noise from the hallway or rooms next door, but quiet enough to sleep. It is very important to me to have a setting that does not wake me when it turns on and off, and this hotel succeeded in that regard. The bed was a little on the firm side, but still comfortable. I appreciated the free internet access, and the internet speed was good.

They serve a large variety of items for breakfast. There was toast, bagels, make-your-own waffles, hot and cold cereal, muffins, eggs and sausage, yoghurt, fresh fruit, granola bars, coffee, tea and orange juice. It wasn't a gourmet breakfast but there was certainly enough variety to satisfy most tastes.

One warning to Marriott platinum members : long distance phone calls are not free at this hotel. All the Marriott hotels I've gone to since becoming a platinum member provided free long distance phone calls, so I assumed that this hotel did also. It was quite a shock to find charges for each call that I made added to my bill.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Suzanne C
Vancouver, Washington, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was an unexpected stop for us after going through the snowy mountains and being unable to get to our destination that night. We have a 6 year old and a 9 year old so during long car trips, our requirement is an indoor pool so the kids can get some exercise in.

What a treat for us! The pool was the best temp we have ever had the pleasure of being in. It was so nice that we actually joined the kids for playtime in the pool so it was an extra treat for the kids. Normally the parents are holed up in the hot tub watching the kids, but at this hotel all parents were in the pool. The only negative I have to say is on the safety side. The tiles in the pool area were VERY slippery. My daughter fell & hurt herself - she could very easily have smacked her head open on the tiles. Another family had their little girl fall also. Not safe. Tiles need to be replaced or some sort of anti-slip stuff needs to be put down.

Breakfast was great. A little better than Holiday Inn Express. Way better than Best Western.

The only other negative was that it was noisy in the night with other people coming in. Could hear little kids running around above us, babies crying all night in the next room. Hotels should really try & space people out more when young children are staying. The hotel wasn't packed so they could have done it & would have gotten a better rating from me.

Price was great - paid less here than at another hotel chain the previous night in another area & enjoyed our stay more at this hotel.

All in all, a great stay. I will be looking for other opportunities to say at this chain to see if we get similar experiences. If the pools are as warm, rooms are as clean & breakfasts are as good as this one, I might just change our preferred hotel chain over.

Room Tip: Suites come with a couch & table (mini-living room)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family