“A 2.5 Rating, really!”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed here for a night while we were driving up the coast, after finding pretty much every hotel was full or wanted over $125.

My first experience was talking to the guy at the front desk on the phone to reserve the room. He was OK, but gruff/short with me at times. At one point he actually yelled he couldn't hear me, and the whole process was pretty slow (partly because I had to repeat myself a gazillion times!). The same man didn't give us a warm fuzzy welcome when we arrived, either - he was all business. Then he got irritated with me again after I went down to ask for a second key to our room (he didn't offer said key when we checked in as two adults and a toddler).

The outside of the motel is very clean and well-kept, so that was nice. The small parking lot filled up quickly.

Our room is where everything went downhill. I don't expect luxury at a moderately-priced motel, and have stayed in all sorts of places on my travels. However, the room had a very musty/mildewy smell to it, which made it seem unclean. The surfaces were clean, but we just had a sense that the carpeting, drapes, bedspread, etc., weren't deep-cleaned regularly and were dirty. The queen bed seemed just a bit larger than a full and was super uncomfortable (like a very firm mattress that had been broken down from overuse) for my husband and myself. It was cloaked in one of those awful old bedspreads that's always pilled up on the underside and generally isn't washed between guests, by the way (those give me the creeps even when I know they're freshly laundered).

Our toddler was super cranky and loud, but apparently the neighbors didn't hear him carrying on, which was great. So, I have to assume the rooms have pretty good insulation and are generally quiet.

Anyway, after a horrible night of little rest in our musty room, I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible so I did not shower in the morning. My husband did, and wished he hadn't because the water kept getting icy throughout. I don't know if they need to upgrade to tankless waterheaters or if there's a plumbing issue that causes the shower to go cold when a neighbor flushes a toilet or runs their water, but it's definitely something that needs fixing!

The included continental breakfast was sufficient for our needs. I recall a few types of cold cereal, bread, muffins, milk, OJ and coffee. If you do stay here on a busier night, I'd strongly suggest getting to breakfast early if you want to sit at a table because there are just a few small tables in the tiny lobby.

All in all, the Rodeway Inn is probably OK if you need a fairly inexpensive room, but I wouldn't really recommend staying there unless/until they make some needed changes. Heck, even friendlier service and getting rid of those bedspreads would make a nice difference!

Room Tip: Ask if they have a room with a new mattress and shower that doesn't go cold!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SweetSeattleite

Reviewed June 19, 2012

The rooms were clean, the breakfast was average, and the staff was nice. For $80 on a Saturday night, I thought the price was average as far as value goes.

I did appreciate that the room was located just off of highway 101. Other than that, nother grabbed my attention.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The service was very friendly and efficient. The room was clean but the bed was uncomfortably hard. The breakfast high in carbs (cereal, bagels, muffins) plus juice and coffee. We did like that we had two bedrooms in one suite so that our daughter-in-law had her own adjoining room.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Room was clean but dated, old furniture, poorly painted and decorated. Needs an update badly. We did a coastal trip of Oregon and northern California, this was the worst place for the price range.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John L
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We recently decided to try the Rodeway Inn in Eureka over our usual stay at the Holiday Express in Fortuna. Our choice of the Rodeway was based on Tripadvisor.com ratings and the fact that the Rodeway’s more central location in the town of Eureka was more conducive to our needs. We were willing to ‘overlook’ that the Rodeway, as compared to the Holiday Express, has no swimming pool or spa and the Rodeway charges an extra $10 per person, over three. We also found that the continental breakfast at the Rodeway is much more ‘Spartan’, as compared to the Express.
Other than that, we found the Rodeway to be quite comfortable. The 8’ foot sofa was very nice to sit on; however our $10 third person was mostly unable to get a ‘comfortable’ sleep. The Rodeway room and parking lot were quite clean, as compared to many places in Eureka. We enjoyed the Subway $5 footlongs less than a block west of the Rodeway. We would recommend the Rodeway for those who are no more than two and wish a clean, quiet and secure nights’ rest. The Holiday Express does not allow 24 hour cancellations on online rates, as does the Rodeway. The Express is 15 miles south of Eureka; however, the many basic amenities are far greater including two queen beds and no charge for a third person.

Room Tip: Rooms are all about the same; However, the budget rooms contain only a King bed and sofa. Upper floo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lippylemurian
Reviewed January 24, 2012

nice room, friendly guy on checkin desk, close to town. No problems

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We would stay here again on our way through Eureka, but if we were to stay for more than a night we would pick some where a bit nicer. It took ages with the door wide open to air it out from the room deoderiser, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable even if the room was dated. The people there are very friendly and the lemon poppy seed bread they had in their continental breakfast was very good, coffee not so much, but they had very tasty orange juice! I guess because it was the middle of summer the rate we paid seemed high for the place. This was our second stay in Eureka, the old part of town is really nice with all the old houses and there are a lot of neat antique type stores to browse and some very good places to eat. The Samoa cook house is worth the drive over the bridge to get to it for an all you can eat awesome breakfast and we had dinner at the Sea Grill which was amazing.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple