All reviewsroom was cleanbreakfast buffetfront desk staffcomfortable staycoffee makerold townroad trippetcoastredwoodshwycalifornia
Reviewed September 21, 2010

We got this hotel after a bid on Priceline, and after reading some of the reviews, approached it with some trepidation. As it happens, it turned out to be entirely acceptable, if not exactly the highlight of our coast-to-coast-to-coast trip.

It's clearly one of the largest (if not the largest) hotels in Eureka, and is impressive at first look. The lobby is nice, there's a pool, and there's an included restaurant and lounge. The room was clean, if a bit ragged around the edges (it was showing its age), and it was quiet...we slept well. The free Wi-Fi worked well. A 'fridge and microwave were contained in the entertainment unit, along with the TV.

The downside, as far as we're concerned, is the lack of free breakfast. A buffet was available in the attached restaurant for $7.95...we went across the street to Subway. And speaking of places to eat, there are several restaurants within steps of the hotel, and several more within a 1-mile radius.

It's a decent, but thoroughly unexceptional, middle-of-the-road hotel (no matter HOW Priceline rates it). I'd rate it an acceptable 2-star, with maybe another 1/2 star if they offered a free breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The actual property is situated on the main drag with rather unappealing exterior and interior in need of updating. In other words, we did not really like the place but it could have very well been the best in its category in Eureka. Not a hotel capital of the World by any means. The complimentary breakfast is plentiful but, again, unappealing in its greasy offerings (bacon, sausage) are in need of updating to healthier choices (fresh fruit and fresh breads).

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed September 6, 2010

On the plus side: The room and bathroom were clean, of good size, and included a mini-frig and microwave oven. The air-conditioner worked well and helped to block out street noise. The cost of the room was reasonable (stay two nights, third night free). The male desk clerk was very nice and helpful. The housekeeping staff was great.

On the minus side: We encountered only three serious drawbacks. The bathroom had no fan and even though it was cold outside, the bathroom was hot, steamy, and uncomfortable. The (black ceramic) coffee cups with the in-room coffee pot looked clean but had greasy fingerprints on the side. When I went to wash mine, I found gunk crusted on the bottom inside. The restaurant had very limited hours, the service was terrible, and the food mediocre.

What was mostly lacking in the rooms was attention to detail. A second sink outside the bathroom had no soap, soap dish, or wastebasket. The ironing board was mounted in such a way that the closet door wouldn’t close completely. A handle was missing from the dresser drawer. Something had been removed from the wall in the bathroom and brackets and screws were just left protruding. The microwave oven was at height convenient for someone who was about three feet tall. The bedskirt was about 6-inches short on one side of the bed and trailing on the floor on the other. I noticed this because I tripped when my shoe caught in it.

None of these things would stop us from staying at the Red Lion again. Most of the hotels in Eureka are really bad and almost all have noise problems because the main highway goes right through the center of town. Our advice if staying at the Red Lion: Ask for a quiet room facing the back, on the third (top) floor, away from the elevator if possible. Call the hotel directly for the best rates. Don't depend on eating in the restaurant. It closed at 1:30 for lunch and after 9PM, food was only available in the bar, where the bartender was "the waiter" and the service was terrible.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LS-Los_Altos
Reviewed September 1, 2010

This motel seems to be the largest in Eureka. We found the rooms quite nice. However, the motel does not seem to be anything really special. When we arrived, the motel looked a little bit run down, probably because the building looked like it needed a coat of paint. I think doing something quite superficial as that would have made the motel a little more inviting.

We did not eat in the motel's restaurant. The place was trying to sell a "bargain" breakfast deal for something like $8.00. What they were trying to sell looked very much like those breakfasts like so many other hotels now include in the regular lodging rate.

They have a swimming pool, but I have never been in Eureka when the weather was conducive to a nice swim!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I stayed at this Red Lion on a recent business trip. I read reviews on Trip Advisor and it it seemed the better choice from the limited hotels in the area. This hotel probably had its hay day in 1977, it was dated, smelled musty. The parking lot is a strange set up, check in wasnt organized I had to remind them I paid for breakfast in my rate. My room was OK, a step up from Motel 6 at least. I walked out of the restaurant at dinner since there were two people working, only 5 tables had customers but the help was so unorganized all I got was water and didnt have anyone come to my table for 15 minutes, so I got up and left. There were at least 10 people waiting to be seated and the one waitress yelled at them to go eat in the bar, she was too "busy"! I went to Applebees instead. Told the front desk of my experience but was told to fill out a comment card! The business center even charges for internet for online airline check in! Who ever manages this place really needs to train their people.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business