“Would stay there again”

Red Lion Hotel Eureka
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed September 6, 2010

On the plus side: The room and bathroom were clean, of good size, and included a mini-frig and microwave oven. The air-conditioner worked well and helped to block out street noise. The cost of the room was reasonable (stay two nights, third night free). The male desk clerk was very nice and helpful. The housekeeping staff was great.

On the minus side: We encountered only three serious drawbacks. The bathroom had no fan and even though it was cold outside, the bathroom was hot, steamy, and uncomfortable. The (black ceramic) coffee cups with the in-room coffee pot looked clean but had greasy fingerprints on the side. When I went to wash mine, I found gunk crusted on the bottom inside. The restaurant had very limited hours, the service was terrible, and the food mediocre.

What was mostly lacking in the rooms was attention to detail. A second sink outside the bathroom had no soap, soap dish, or wastebasket. The ironing board was mounted in such a way that the closet door wouldn’t close completely. A handle was missing from the dresser drawer. Something had been removed from the wall in the bathroom and brackets and screws were just left protruding. The microwave oven was at height convenient for someone who was about three feet tall. The bedskirt was about 6-inches short on one side of the bed and trailing on the floor on the other. I noticed this because I tripped when my shoe caught in it.

None of these things would stop us from staying at the Red Lion again. Most of the hotels in Eureka are really bad and almost all have noise problems because the main highway goes right through the center of town. Our advice if staying at the Red Lion: Ask for a quiet room facing the back, on the third (top) floor, away from the elevator if possible. Call the hotel directly for the best rates. Don't depend on eating in the restaurant. It closed at 1:30 for lunch and after 9PM, food was only available in the bar, where the bartender was "the waiter" and the service was terrible.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LS-Los_Altos
There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Eureka

Reviewed September 1, 2010

This motel seems to be the largest in Eureka. We found the rooms quite nice. However, the motel does not seem to be anything really special. When we arrived, the motel looked a little bit run down, probably because the building looked like it needed a coat of paint. I think doing something quite superficial as that would have made the motel a little more inviting.

We did not eat in the motel's restaurant. The place was trying to sell a "bargain" breakfast deal for something like $8.00. What they were trying to sell looked very much like those breakfasts like so many other hotels now include in the regular lodging rate.

They have a swimming pool, but I have never been in Eureka when the weather was conducive to a nice swim!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I stayed at this Red Lion on a recent business trip. I read reviews on Trip Advisor and it it seemed the better choice from the limited hotels in the area. This hotel probably had its hay day in 1977, it was dated, smelled musty. The parking lot is a strange set up, check in wasnt organized I had to remind them I paid for breakfast in my rate. My room was OK, a step up from Motel 6 at least. I walked out of the restaurant at dinner since there were two people working, only 5 tables had customers but the help was so unorganized all I got was water and didnt have anyone come to my table for 15 minutes, so I got up and left. There were at least 10 people waiting to be seated and the one waitress yelled at them to go eat in the bar, she was too "busy"! I went to Applebees instead. Told the front desk of my experience but was told to fill out a comment card! The business center even charges for internet for online airline check in! Who ever manages this place really needs to train their people.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Travelalot31310
Reviewed July 11, 2010

The hotel was nice from the outside but inside it was run down and really needs updating. The room itself was clean but smelled of stale cigarettes, we had to sign a paper that said no smoking if you do a $200 clean fee will be charged we the room smelled horrible of stale cigarette. The noise from the other rooms was horrible you could hear almost everything. The pool was heated but it was dirty and the area around the pool was dirty as well. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel 1 night and the service was slow and rude and the food was horrible not at all worth what we paid. The bed s were well past the date they should have been changed out. MY back and shoulder still hurt from that bed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
CarlFletcher, Owner at Red Lion Hotel Eureka, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2010

We want to take this time to say that we are very regretful of the conditions of your recent stay with us. This is not the typical Red Lion experience and we are disappointed to hear of your challenges with us. We are looking in the very near future of renovating our properties to meet the demands of our customers and their comfort in our hotels. We take every review of our hotels very serious and are taking action to provide the high class service that is associated to the Red Lion name. We thank you for your stay and taking the time to write a review and guiding us to creating the best guest experience possible.

Carl Fletcher
Red Lion Corporate

Reviewed July 8, 2010

I travel often with my pets and stay at "pet friendly" hotels all over the state of California. But it was so refreshing to stay at a place where I felt truely welcome with my pets. The staff was well aware of the dog show which was the purpose of my trip and I over heard one of the employees telling another guest about the event. By the level of detail in the information she provided as well as the tone of enthusiasm in her voice, I did not feel we were imposing on the hotel. And when I had my dogs with me, I was still greeted with a smile. So we had a relaxing and restful stay which means to me sucess! BTW, the hot wings are HOT so if you eat in the pub on premisis, be sure to add a micro brew to go with... ;)

Reviewed July 5, 2010

Reception desk was spot on - we were allocated a room with 2 queens and when we realised the air-con didn t work well front desk immediately gave us another room and a large fan as well. They were courteous at all times. Room was large and well maintained with very comfortable beds. Plenty of hot water, fridge & microwave. Hotel is near to old town but we felt it a bit too far to walk to. Hometown buffet, Applebees & Marie Callenders all within 5 mins in the car. Large mall also within 5 mins in car. Only downside for me was room was not very cool although husband and son were happy with it - probably my age?? lol..
They do a happy hour & cheap meals between something like 5 - 6.30pm.
Altogether a lovely hotel with breakfast (if not included in rate) at just under $5 for full breakfast. Swimming pool & hot tub. Would recommend.

Reviewed July 1, 2010

Our tour needed a location in the Sonoma area and this facility was the "best of the worst". We were advised that it was o.k. to walk the four blocks to the local big box store but be sure to be back before dark . Does that tell you the type of area you are staying in? Hotel staff tried hard to provide good service but the one, lonely elevator was inadequate; the advertised free in-room WiFi didn't work as promised and a connection in the lobby was inconsistent; service in the restaurant was also inconsistent and understaffed. The bed was was past retirement date. The good news? The room was clean and the lobby ladies' washroom was also clean.

• Stayed: June 2010