All reviewsroom was cleanbreakfast buffetfront desk staffcomfortable staycoffee makerold townroad trippetcoastredwoodshwycalifornia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I usually research hotels in advance. Unfortunatly I stayed here at the very last moment after a long drive. The front desk claimed that I was getting a "premium room" with a view of the " harbour". What a big joke. The room was old and grotty. The view of the "harbour" was marred by a bunch of auto-shops. All in all a lousy hotel in a kind of creepy town..........

Room Tip: Stay away........
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank scollinson79
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This is an older hotel but the room was comfortable and clean, unlike some older hotels we've stayed at. The items in the room were not worn or shabby. Even though we followed the directions for reusing the sheets and towels, every day we came back to clean sheets and towels set up.

Booked using the over 50 and AARP rate on their site, because I checked the hotel website after checking a travel site. I agree with not booking with the breakfast inclusive package. I don't book 5 star hotels because I don't want to pay the price for one so probably I'm not as picky as some others. I don't like hotels where the doors open onto the parking lot. Too noisy! Don't come here for a 5 star experience. I found some discrepancies with what the info printed in the room said and my actual experiences but didn't have any major issues.

The breakfast buffet was good, but not a lot of choices. Dinner was good there, but I wouldn't spend the money if I went with kids.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Made a reservation for the Red Lion Inn in Eureka, Ca. for June 21-24, 2012. The reservation was for 1 room, 2 queen beds. Immediately after making the reservatioon on-line, I called the hotel to have them add a roll-a-way bed to the reservation as this was not an option on-line. They confirmed the reservation for the dates listed, 2 queen beds and added the roll-a-way.

Upon arrival (after driving 300+ miles), I was informed by the hotel clerk that they did not have any rooms available that had 2 queen beds nor did they have a roll-a-way bed available. She looked at my reservation and confirmed that it was for 2 queen beds and the roll-a-way.

She went in the back and spoke to the manager and said all they could do was refund my money. WHAT!?!?!? I made this reservation 2 weeks in advance and even called and confirmed it!

I asked to speak to the manager. After waiting a few minutes, the manager came out and proceeded to walk right by on his way somewhere else. I was able to get his attention and proceeded to ask what happened and what were they going to do.

He looked me straight in the eyes and said we’ll refund you your money back and you can go elsewhere.

I have traveled all over the world on business and pleasure and never in my life have I been treated so unprofessionally. This manager obviously does not know the basic concepts of customer service nor how to run a hotel. From the outside and lobby, this hotel is a 2 star at its best. I have no idea how it got a 3+ star rating.

My advice to anyone traveling to Eureka is to stay away from the Red Lion Inn and stay at the Blue Lakes Indian Casino. We ended up here and it was an easy 3.5 star hotel with 4 restaurants.

Room Tip: Stay at the Blue Lakes Indian Casino/Hotel. Very clean, quality rooms, excellent dinning and a great staff!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank RTupen
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Good day Mr. Tupen,

I wanted to extend my apologies again for the confusion in your reservation. Our reservations agent was able to accomodate and change your room to an accessible room from non accessible room. Unfortuneately we were sold out that evening and did not have an accessible room with two beds when your reservation was made. The reservations agent did put in that you requested a room with two beds and the rollway if available. After our associate at the front desk had offered the alternative options we had at our disposal, the only option left was to cancel your reservation with no penalty.

I must apologize to you for not being able to give you my full attention, due to other matters.

We have attempted to reach you but the information we have is for Priceline. Please feel free to contact me at your convienence. I look forward to hearing from you and to your next visit.

Raul Ainardi

Reviewed June 22, 2012

First of all don't book the breakfast inclusive rate! It is about $30 more than the AAA or normal rate and you will find out that it's only $7.95 for breakfast! Then you will have to fight them to change it! Then they will saybtheybill do it and not! No towels in my room nice surprise in the morning. Really bad smell in the room old and musty! Overall not too many hotels to choose grom in Eureka but between the room quality and poor staff service might s well stay at the best western!

This is what you will hear from the counter staff. We can't ...... It does not allow us to..... The system does not work that way.....

Room Tip: Drive north 20 minutes to the Hamton inn at Arcata or the Holidayy iNn at Mckinleyville that's where you will get a good room!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mrwheels12
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, I must apologize that we did not get rate change you requested the first time. The breakfast rate is based off of our regular rates, so if you qualify for a discounted rate such as the AAA. That would definity be the better deal. I am happy to hear our team did get it correct in the end. I will review our front office team to ensure better customer experiences in the future.

Thank you for staying with us, I look forward to being of service on you next visit to Eureka if you will grant us the opportunity.

Raul Ainardi

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed here because it was a pet-friendly hotel and we were traveling with our puppy. My first impression when i walked into the lobby was that the smell was of either old or dirty. Maybe both. The room looked clean except for the carpet, and someone's sandwich left in the refrigerator. The door to the balcony in both our room and the room next door where my daughter stayed would barely open due to age. Her room was noticably warmer than ours and they sent someone right up to check the air conditioner. He argued with us that it was just as cool as our room but brought two fans up, so as our rooms were adjoining, we left the door open to help cool her room too, though it didn't work very well. A lot of things were in disrepair, such as the ice machine on our floor. Service was good and the food in the restaurant was good at dinner,but the breakfast buffet was terrible and too expensive. Though the menu in the room said it was open all day, it wasn't. Would not stay here again or any other Red Lion since I can't trust that it would be any better.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family