“Seriously?” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Redding, California
“Seriously?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Go somewhere else. Anywhere else. Maybe a street corner because you'll never sleep here.

Between people staying up and talking/smoking outside of the rooms, strange smells, broken/run down accommodations and construction... this is the place that sleep goes to die and sketchy individuals go to boogy.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. That's my advice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Rachel M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Pittston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travel with a 100 pound dog, so I often visit Red Roof and Motel 6 due to their generous pet policy. I originally had a reservation at the Motel 6 in Arcata, CA. However, when I arrived, the location was full of zombie looking drug addicts, and the area was rather loud and noisy. I decided that the location in Eureka could not be worse, so I canceled the reservations for Arcata, and I drove to Eureka. Bad decision. The drug addicted, low income, scumbags at this place were beyond anything I have ever seen. They were hanging out in front of their rooms and smoking, and crack addicts (best description I can think of) were waling around bare foot and in their underwear (no exaggeration here). At the front desk, I was asked for the ID of me and my guest. I was told that it was a "High crime area," and ID was needed for security reasons. High crime area is the exact term that was used. I was also told that security patrolled the property, so I would be safe. Really? I saw that another reviewer thought this (security patrolled lot) was a positive, and to that, all I can do is shake my head. As others have stated, my non smoking room was smelly, dirty, and in need of repair. I went out and bought a candle to mask the smell, and I sat awake most of the night, in anticipation of getting the hell out of dodge. I cannot stress enough what a bad area this is, and for all intent and purposes, stay the hell out of this town.

Room Tip: I implore you not to stay here. If you do, get a room that allows a view of your car. Do not leave a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Clay C

Travelers are raving about these Eureka hotels

Asheville, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay to rest after a long drive from OR to SF. Tried most places in Eureka which were full, the motel 6 had a few rooms left which should've given us pause enough. The service was the ONLY good thing about this place. Nothing special, but he was at least pleasant and in the end did give us a refund. The security guard gave us sideways looks, there were a few shady characters that pushed the curtains aside to watch us unload the car. When we finally opened the door to our room, it reeked like a cigarette though was a nonsmoking room. Didn't step two steps in. Tried another room (again, service was pleasant and let us do this) but it reeked worse. My girlfriend waited in the locked car while I did this.
We did get a refund. But only after waiting for a drunk couple to check in before us. Overall, still feel a little dirty for having been here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Zak F
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

we stopped at this motel solely because we needed a place to sleep on our drive between san francisco and the oregon coast. it was late when we arrived so we were happy that check in was quick. the receptionist was friendly enough but my boyfriend and i thought something was strange about the burly security guard lurking around.

after leaving the office we moved the car closer to our room and started to unload our bags to take inside. as we were leaving the first load in the room and heading back out to the car, the security guard appeared out of the shadows and mumbled something i didn't quite hear. it seemed like he was checking up on us. keep in mind that our room was located at the back of the property and the neighbourhood seemed quite shady, so it gave us both an uneasy feeling to have him suddenly appear and question who we were or whatever it was he was doing. when i asked if there was a problem he rudely mumbled that he was just doing his job. i pointed out that he just saw us at reception so clearly we were guests. he ignored me and walked away.

when we had finished unloading the car we locked the door securely behind us and wondered what we had signed ourselves up for. the room was dark and dingy. my boyfriend did the usual bedbug check (this is something we've learned to do, knowing that even posh hotels worldwide can have bedbugs) and the mattress cover slipped off. he quickly put it back, we got ready for bed and left as soon as we could first thing the following morning. later that day he said that the mattress was disgusting with brown stains all over it. i guess he didn't want me to see it at the time, knowing i'd have marched down to the front desk and checked out after demanding a refund and we'd be left with searching the town for another place to stay late at night.

will i return to motel 6 eureka? heck no! will i recommend it for others? double heck no!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MyrtletheTurtle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

We are on vacation on motorcycles and since the guys wanted to have a few drinks we opted for the cheap hotel by the diner where we could get dinner and beer. The gentleman at the front counter was extremely polite and very helpful!!! Also note that this used to be a run down area so when you arrive ALL individuals staying in the room must provide ID so that they know you are okay to be on the property. Most places do not actually check after that point but this place does. After dinner I decided to walk back to the hotel while the guys finished their drinks and was greeted by a man in a security uniform who immediately asked if I had a room there and made me verify the information they has for me. Usually I wouldn't have given this information but he was clearly visible in front of the lobby door. This made me feel safer while I was in the room alone. There were no real issues, the place was clean, NO bedbugs (which is a phobia of mine) and I had a shower, a bed, clean towels, and not once did I get grossed out because of someone else's hair being anywhere. We would stay here again based on the staff alone!

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

My wife, son and I were on our way back to Portland from San Francisco. We stop at this Motel 6 thinking that it was a great location for the night. Knowing that Motel 6 has a bad reputation for a lot bad motels we kinda knew what we were getting into here. Being tired and 8pm we had to rest.
The check in took 27 minutes as the desk attendant was arguing with another guest/couple checking in just ahead of me. Looking at the guests and looking at the lobby area, the people looked sleezy and place was unkept and dirty. I did have some worry over the time placing and wife and baby waiting in the car. Should I leave or take a room I thought but the attendant finally got to me and reluckany desired to take a room.
Here are my observations.
1 I did not like to give out my divers license here...privacy!
2 The railing on the stairs is loose and paint pealing.
3 The room was dirty with stains on the carpet and bed cover. We decided to throw the covers off the bed and onto the floor and sleep in our clothes for protection. Our baby stayed safe in our portable crib. Glad we brought it!
4 through the night there was nothing but noise from other people up and moving around in their rooms and outside our door.

This place has a good rate until you see the place and spend the ight.

Having to worry about safety for my family I'd never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Caaske68
Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Sometimes we stay in Motel 6s to reward them for being pet friendly and to avoid having to confirm same in advance. This one was a mistake. I was ready to leave on entering the lobby - but we were tired and persevered. Yuk. We are not picky people, but this one is an embarrassment for Tom Bodett and the chain. We coped by pretending we were camping - at least the bed was sort of ok, we were out of the wind, and the door closed and locked - I did check the mattress for bedbugs and almost slept in my clothes. M6s towels and sheets are never the best, but these were particularly thin and flimsy. That aside, the TV worked, the shower was hot, there was ice in the ice machine. YAY!.... In the morning, the coffee that was touted to be available in the lobby - wasn't. Apparently it was too much for the clerk to cope with, to replace an empty thermos with a full one. And we were not checking out late. We checked out early, (for us) around 8 am -just to get the h____ out of there. I didn't even want my dog sleeping on the rug.

When we checked in (my heart sinking all the while), I asked for a room where we could park right in front, and back in, for security of a few non-valuable items left in back of our SUV. (The golf clubs were taken into the room). The young woman gave us a key to a room on "Handicapped Row" where all the rooms required a handicapped sticker for parking. Go figure. She works there - and these rooms were adjacent to the lobby where she works... wouldn't she know? So I went back and asked again for a room where we could park in front. We were switched to a room 2 doors away. On entering the room, I suggested to my husband that we leave, tired or not. He was tired of driving so we tried to pretend we were in a third world country being adventuresome - did I mention we are in our 60s? We survived, but never again. Our dog didn't care.

Room Tip: This was our mistake - not to be repeated. Economy pricing is a good thing, but 'down and out...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple