“Close to historic downtown.”

Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Clovis, CA
“Close to historic downtown.”
Reviewed December 22, 2010

We were looking for somewhere different to spend Thanksgiving week while our daughter was off school...this is something we've done for the past few years. We chose this BW mostly for the location. You can walk to the historic downtown and we did just that...we spent a couple of days wandering through the quaint shops and restaurants (and there are a lot of restaurants in Eureka!). We also appreciated the fact that there was a Starbucks just up the road but there are a couple of excellent family owned coffee shops in the old town district too.

Our room was clean and the beds comfortable however, the walls were quite thin and we could hear what our neighbors were doing and saying which was a little disturbing at times. Staying on the second floor might have helped to reduce the 'noise'. The complimentary breakfast was really not worth bothering with except to pick up some yogurt and fruit. The coffee was pretty awful although my daughter enjoyed the tea and hot chocolate. The dining room attendant was also a different sort of character...she kept trying to 'talk-up' the male guests which made me and few other guests a little uncomfortable. She probably thought she was being friendly (or something) but she was really just being obnoxious. I let the front desk person know before we checked out to which I got some eye rolling and the comment: "I'll talk to her again...". I guess I wasn't the only person who said something.

Eureka is a very different little town. Not your typical coastal town. More like a lumber town...lumber mills everywhere...but it is historic and visiting some of the small towns around Eureka was fun (like Ferndale with it's Victorian homes). Of course, you can't beat the redwoods either for great scenery.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
California
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I don't know where to start! Very clean and comfortable rooms. Awsome pool patio area with pool table and relaxing seating area. The best fitness center I have ever seen at a hotel! I can't believe it they even have a free Limousine service to dinner! The breakfast was great, alot of choices no need to go out for breakfast. Great location within walking distance to all the best restaurants and their cute downtown area. We stayed in their upgraded room with dvd player and they had alot of good movies to choose from. Their staff was very friendly and knowledgeable of the surrounding area with quick check-in. In the morning I was able to use their business center to access informaition for things to do further on in our trip. Hands down the best Best Western I have ever stayed at and I will be recommending to any and everybody I know that travels to that area to stay there.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 20, 2010

In fairness, the hotel was fully booked the night we stayed but it was nearly impossible to get a decent night's sleep due to noise from nearby roads, parking lot, or suitcases rolling by. For the $150 price, the rooms are quite small as are the bathrooms. Breakfast was fairly standard for mid-range chains, with insufficient seating area for guests. Pool area is great for kids. Hotel location is between 2 busy roadways and not really walking distance to the heart of old Eureka. If there's a next time, I would go for a B&B or small inn closer to the old part of town.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 6, 2010

The front desk employees were friendly and helpful, our room was clean, and the hotel is in walking-distance to bars and restaurants. We also really appreciated the free buffet breakfast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We arrived at this hotel after dark, had we seen it in the daylight we would have found somewhere else to stay. The room was gloomy and in desperate need of re-decoration, it had two queen beds and we weren't 100% sure that the sheets were clean on one of the beds, maybe they just needed ironing - who knows? The wallpaper was peeling off the walls in the bathroom and the furniture looked well used. Breakfast was free but there was not enough tables for guests to use whilst breakfasting. We opted to go to the diner next door instead. This hotel put us off staying at Best Westerns for the remainder of our trip.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We arrived in town late, with no reservations (not smart I know!) I had forgotten what a rough town Eureka is and my husband vetoed most of the hotels we passed that had vacancies. Others I looked up with my TripAdvisor via my iPhone, and saw awful reviews and many places were listed as unsafe. So when we passed by this place, it had good reviews and a reservation, we were thrilled! The front desk person was from my hometown, which made my husband happy. We didn't notice any noise, but we stayed in the back part of the hotel which had a separate little parking area. We needed a rollaway bed and the guy brought it right away, before we had even put our stuff down in the room. I was very glad to have stayed in a safe, quiet place in this town. I also used the free wi-fi which worked well too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 28, 2010

this was a very nice clean hotel for Eureka which doesn't look like it has much going for it,
Very clean, excellent bed, excellent bed, good breakfast, nice pool and clean and kept up.
they have free limousine service to take you to old town or to eat. would stay here again

• Stayed August 2010