“Lovely stay !”

Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Ticked all the boxes! We stayed on June 29 and found the hotel to be clean and welcoming. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were in the USA for a month and this was one of the best hotels we have stayed at.
The rooms well equipped and clean. We managed to park outside our room which was a bonus. We never eat the hotel breakfasts but I did go across to the breakfast room for orange juice and it looked a good selection of fare on offer there. The hotel offers a complimentary limo if you want to eat in town which is a nice touch but we ate at the restaurant next door which was good. I found the guest computer very useful as well. Would definitely go back there. We really enjoyed our stay .

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda g
Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I discovered this particular Best Western 5 years ago as we prepared to move to northern California. It was a great place then and has gotten even better! As to my current stay; on 10 July we ended up in the emergency room here in Eureka with my husband suffering from a sudden illness. As soon as UI realized this was going to be a long ordeal, I got on the hospital's WiFi and booked a room. When I arrived at the BW Plus Humboldt BAY Inn at about 10:30 that night I discovered that I had booked my room for the next day! The lovely young lady at the desk found a room for me and even went outside to make sure there was a parking space close to my room. EVERYONE here has gone out of their way to make me feel at home. I love this place!!! By the way, the next time we are in Eureka, we plan to stay here and take advantage of the free Limo ride to and from dinner. Needless to say, I would highly recommend this Best Western to anyone.

Thanks so much,

S & S Fox

Room Tip: I have stayed in two different buildings and liked both. One was upstairs and one on ground level.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband noticed footprints in the tub after his shower and realized his feet were black after walking barefoot in the room. By the next morning his allergies to dust & mold had kicked in so badly he had to call his physician for a prescription. We left our room just before noon and returned around 6pm to find that it had not been cleaned. I went to the front desk to report this and the staff member on duty went into defense mode. Woah! She actually retrieved the housekeeper's chart, and pointed out to me that the cleaning person checked that our door had a Do Not Disturb sign on it. I guess if the housekeeper wrote it, it must be a fact. No, I explained, we removed it and left before noon. Is there a deadline for housekeeping? They see the sign on and don't check again? Housekeeping, the clerk tells me, leaves at 4:30 and no one is on staff to clean our room tonight. Not even a "sorry". I requested another room. She said they were full (the sign said Vacancy) except for the "Bridal Suite" which iwas $250; she said that because it was too late to rent our room (the one that wasn't made up today) so they would have to charge us for BOTH rooms. First of all there's no way I'd pay $250/night for any room at this establishment, second no way I'm paying for 2 rooms and third, I want to sleep in a cleaned room. She finally says she'll see if the handyman is still on premises and maybe he can make up the room. Five minutes later the handyman showed up like a trooper to change the towels, glassware & make up the bed. ( He is the only star this place earned on my review.). The front desk person ended up helping him as well. Housekeeping showed up the remaining 2 days of our stay, however less was done each day: the empty box of tissue was left empty, and four bathrobes were left in place of towels. I can say with certainty that our room was not vacuumed once during our stay, as I had dropped some loose threads in the middle of the floor when unpacking the first night, which were in the same place when we left. I did not see any housekeeper with a vacuum cleaner as I walked past neighboring rooms that were being serviced while I was there.

One last thing. In the breakfast room was a bowl of hardboiled eggs that were already peeled. This really made my skin crawl. Sure they don't want the eggshells all over the place (cuz then they'd have to use a vacuum cleaner), but did the person who peeled the eggs wear gloves or even wash their hands? Then the other guests - little kids?- pick out the eggs. Those things then need to be washed thoroughly before eating. We're in the healthcare profession. We passed on the eggs.

Two things you can't afford to have in the hospitality industry: dirty rooms and a staff with attitude. We'll pass on staying here again, too.

Room Tip: sleep in your vehicle
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank yentamay
ChrisBWPHBI, Manager at Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

We appreciate your feedback, as it truly does help us improve our Inn. When our housekeeper worked in the building that you were staying, she did see the "do not disturb" sign on your door and did check it several times. She was unaware that you removed at a later time. She could have checked it one last time before leaving for the day or call your room to make sure that you did not want service. We apologize. On your return later that evening, when you reported the incident to the front desk, we did send two people up to your room to clean it for you as our housekeeping does leave at 4:30pm. All of our rooms are vacuumed daily. Our carpets are on a schedule to be shampooed often.
Our hard-boiled eggs in the breakfast room come to us fresh, prepackaged & already shelled. Our breakfast attendant does not handle them, except to put them in the decorative covered bowl (she uses tongs to do this). Besides the eggs, we serve fresh waffles, jimmy dean egg & sausage sandwiches, hot oatmeal, cold cereals, yoplait yogurt, fresh fruit, and much more.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Despite the positive reviews, we were disappointed and rather aggravated by the conditions at this hotel. We spent $149.99 per night on a trip through the Redwoods and expected, for that price, more than what was provided. The room was certainly nicely sized and the beds seemed fair. However, the hotel room had no air conditioning! Although Eureka is often mild and cool, it was quite hot when we were there, and the room never cooled down enough to be comfortable. For $150, I would expect the hotel to provide air conditioning. After walking around in our room barefoot, I noticed that our feet - including those of my 18-month-old - were black! on the bottoms. So disgusting and really unacceptable. The last straw came when we went to breakfast around 8AM and had the bare bones left to us. My husband returned at 9AM and couldn't even get water from the staff! For this price, the hotel really needs to shape up; and any hotel should be clean.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JulieAEW

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here in Eureka. Our Inn's pricing is very competitive for our market area. During the summer months, guests can expect to pay between $140-$180 per night while staying at accommodations in the mid-scale market here on the Northcoast, including Eureka.
Most residences and businesses in Eureka and surrounding area do not have air-conditioning and that is the same for most accommodations too. Checking the National Weather Service official site, we found that the warmest day in the past 60 or so days (May, June, part of July) was only 67f degrees (1 day), with an average of 57f. Our climate is described as "mild and cool" as you state, but once in a while it does reach the high 60s, rarely lower 70s and then cools down to the high 40s, low 50s at night. We do have a sign at the front desk that states most of our rooms do not have air-conditioning and that some of our rooms do have it. Each room does come with a built in fan and more are available at the front desk if needed. We do understand that a room can get "stuffy" with more than 2 or 3 people in it, so we do suggest a fan or one of our rooms with air conditioning if desired.
Our breakfast room is open daily from 6am -10am. We serve a variety of delicious breakfast items, including hot waffles (waffle makers), fresh danish, donuts, pastries (delivered fresh daily), Jimmy Dean egg & sausage sandwiches, hot oatmeal, fresh fruit, etc.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this motel. Even though it is right on 101, it was surprisingly quiet. The staff were very nice and helpful. Kristina's restaurant next door is great for breakfast. I recommend bypassing the free breakfast and eating there. Nice stop on the road trip.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Janhube
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We were travelling through the Redwoods and spent the night in Eureka. There are multiple buildings on the grounds, and we ended up in the Sequoia block. The room was comfortable and adequately sized for us, a family of five with our youngest in a porta-crib. There is no air-conditioning in this hotel, the reasons for which are well explained in a pamphlet at the front desk, but the room was stuffy at first. There is adequate cross-ventilation, though, but it took awhile to become comfortable. There is a nice leisure patio area with part of the pool covered from the elements. This area includes a billiard table and plenty of comfy seating, propane patio heaters, and a hot-tub. The water temperature was just right and the family enjoyed a swim in the pool. We did have to ask for towels, though, as the supply was deleted and not restocked. Breakfast was typical for a Best Western, and the server was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast room itself is rather small, but guests are encouraged to take their food into the pool patio area. We did not use the onsite limousine service. The WiFi in the room was not very strong.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank aregla
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were travelling through the states on a road trip and found this little gem. We found the check-in staff to be really lovely and we loved our room. Clean and spacious with none of those dated, nasty bedspreads that chain hotels seem to be a fan of. Funny but true - the hotel has a limousine that will drive you to dinner and back if you want. We thought this was funny and we opted to walk anyway. Great little restaurant with some amazing locally brew beer was a 10 minute walk away - Lost Coast Breweries !

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julieeandrews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eureka
2 mi away
Red Lion Hotel Eureka
#5 of 21 in Eureka
Town House Motel - Historic Old Town
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA

Been to Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn? Share your experiences!