“Loved the Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles

Carter House Inns
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
“Loved the Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Comfy room with charm. Fabulous food in the restaurant. A delicious breakfast buffet, I loved the homemade granola with yogurt. Dinner in their 5 star restaurant was as good as it gets. The staff was very friendly and welcoming...loved the 5 o'clock complimentary wine and snacks.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Lewis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

There are only two questions to ask regarding a hotel. Firstly would you go back and secondly would you recommend it to friends. As far as Carter House is concerned the answer is an unequivocal YES. The stay was a delight from start to finish - two days was too short.

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the main building of the Carter House last week. When we arrived, a polite blonde girl working the front desk opened the door for us, then proceeded to check us in, ask us how our travels went, and even walked us to our 3rd floor room and helped me with my luggage- I didn't even have to ask! Although she said she was still training, she seemed to know the grounds and information very well and had clearly and politely explained all of the Inn's complimentary offers, like their complimentary glass of wine, tea and cookies every night at 8, and not only a breakfast buffet, but complimentary hot entrees served as well! This gave us an indication that the Carter House takes their employees into careful consideration, which pays off! She told us her name after escorting us to our room, I think it was Breanna? Anyways, our room was beautiful, and definitely worth the price. Even though I didn't purchase any of the items in the treats basket in our room, it was still a nice touch, along with all of the lovely products, which I always love. We didn't have the change to eat at their restaurant on-site called 301, although the menu looked exquisite! We did have our free glass of wine, I had the white, my husband the red. Our bartender, a handsome man in his early 20s, offered to bring our glasses to us as we sat in the comfortable lobby couch, right in front of the burning fire, which was so quaint and cozy on this gloomy evening.
Breakfast was wonderful, we had another lovely female serving us named Michelle. We chatted with another couple at breakfast who had similar feelings about the atmosphere and staff. They also mentioned a rave review of the restaurant, a must for us next time around!
My only complaint was the thin walls and windows which didn't do the best job of keeping out the sounds of the street at night, but what can you expect with a Victorian-style building? In fact, I would prefer the minimal amount of noise to some remodeled humdrum hotel that's just like everywhere else!
Needless to say, this is our go-to spot for the area, and I would most definitely recommend every aspect of the Carter House Inn! Next time, we want to stay in one of their other properties (I believe a cottage and family style rooms), located directly across the street!

Huddersfield, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

After a big drive from San Francisco we loved the look of the place. The staff were really nice and you get a glass (small) of wine each when you check in.
There's an open fire in the main room and our room was really nice with a great bed and super soft sheets.
As it was getting late we decided to eat in... That's when it all went wrong. The food is quite frankly not good. Personal tastes aside for ten buck a glass for the wine which seems overpriced wasn't much to write home about and the quality of the meat was way off what you'd expect at that price. It was tough, chewy and a bit bland with the accompanying "stuff" not helping in any way and bothing to amuse the pallet or keep interest in the dish going.
The breakfast while OK was comedy expensive and left us wanting more or somethig else.
Stay as its lovely, but don't eat there.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MinniePops
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

My son and I really enjoyed our stay at Carter House Inns, when we were in the Humboldt area exploring the parks and doing some Redwoods climbing. The Inns apparently consists of 4 building in the same vicinity. We stayed at the main hotel where the reception and restaurant was.

What we liked:
1) Beautiful, comfortable, clean room. I believe every room is different in the hotel, but all are tastefully furnished and very cosy. We were in 208.

2) Strong wifi.

3) Personable, friendly, and efficient staff. I thought their tub wasn't working and was looking for a stopper (it was actually mechanically controlled), and the front desk came with the solution and a stopper within 1 minute of the call past 11:30pm. I was impressed with their dedication to service.

4) Vegan-friendly hot breakfast. Every reservation at Carter House comes with a full breakfast, that includes continental buffet of fruits, granola and baked items, and a hot breakfast. The chef was very happy to whip us up a vegan hot breakfast on both mornings we were there. Usually, sauteed potatoes and some sauteed vegetables. Very nice.

5) Warm, homely, atmosphere. There would be a plate of baked goodies waiting for the guests by the fireplace in the main lobby every night.

6) Plentiful free parking

7) Easy to find, convenient location just off the 101S

What I would have preferred:

a) Bigger tubs. Room 208 was one of the rooms with jet-tubs. They were a bit small.

b) Sturdier / better maintained furniture. One of the drawer knobs came off when we pulled open the drawer, but was easily put-back. The main closet door latch could also do with some oiling, and fixing, as it was stay ajar unless you latched in.

c) More intuitive reservation website. I wanted to reserve room 106 or 108 via their website, but for some reason, it didn't allow online booking and had a "Call to reserve" message. When I called (international call) to reserve, it turned out that it was because the rooms were only available for one of the nights that I wanted. It would have been straightforward just to show this reason on the website or just to say "Unavailable for the requested nights", so I could save on my international call and reserve another room via the website. Carter House Inns would also have 1 less phone call to deal with.

Overall, excellent hotel. You get the quality you pay for.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building so you don't have to walk in the cold to get to the breakfast in the m...