“Nice but..........”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Acworth, Georgia
“Nice but..........”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our family trip up the pacific coast. We had two rooms as we were traveling with our two daughters ages 22 and 16. The rooms both had queen beds and were quite smaller than they appeared on the website. Bathroom was small but fine considering this is an historic property.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The Inn was nicely maintained. Out only issue here was the dinner service. Made a reservation for 6:15 for the four of us. The menu looked good and we had read many high reviews for the restaurant. To start out, saying the service was slow is a real understatement. Being only the third party seated you would think the kitchen would not yet be overwhelmed. It took around 15 minutes for the salads to be delivered. We did not order wine or any other drinks from the bar thankfully or we would have been sitting there for an additional 15 minutes. I lost track of time on how long it took for the entrees. I do not recall what one of my daughters ordered but one had chicken, my husband had scallops and I had steak. The chicken was cold and tasteless, the scallops were not seared and rubbery and the steak was over cooked. I asked for medium which, in my opinion is the preferred way for a good cut of meat. The waitress told me they prepared their steaks using the French temperature method which is more rare than what we are accustomed to in the US and suggested medium well. I went along with her advise and got a piece of meat which had a large hard piece of fat down one side and a ligament down the middle. The color was brown without a trace of pink.
The food was edible but not what was expected. With all the high praise for this restaurant, I would have to assume with it being the holidays maybe the real chef was not working that night.
We were finished and walked out at 8:20. Over two hours to have a two course meal.
If we return to Carter House Inn I would select one of the local restaurants instead of the Inn restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Kathy L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
California
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stay here! I am very particular about where I stay. The carter house was so amazing. I had read good things and decided to give it a try on our way up to Oregon. It met every expectation and more. Very friendly,classy,clean and in a wonderful location. Right by the marina! Can't say enough about our 2 nights. Best hotel on the northern coast hands down!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank fido1102
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had 2 rooms for 2 nights, I had requested bottom floor or near elevator for in laws. The Inn not only granted our request they put us right across the hall from each other. We had to call due to being very late, spoke with Cedrick he not only left us directions on which building to go to with maps he left his cell # in case we needed anything at midnight - wow I was impressed, room was so large and comfy great linens breakfast was wonderful. The waitress knew my husband did not eat eggs and she went out of her way to see that he had a full hot breakfast. We would absolutely stay there again. Can not say enough about how clean and spacious this B & B was. Well worth the money and Old Town Eureka was packed full of shops and restaurants!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have such mixed feelings about this Inn and am saying up front that I may try them again and give them another chance. The check-in was lukewarm. We booked 208 in the Inn side and using the online pictures as a gauge I thought the room would be larger. We travelled with our large dog that they knew about in advance (and paid her $50 fee which is pretty standard). We were taken to our room and it was clear that it would be a tight squeeze. We made a couple of references to the guy who checked us in that we thought the room was small. No acknowledgement of the comments at all even though there were rooms available that were larger that would have fit our family easily. We would have been open to paying for an upgrade but he never asked. He didn't seem too wild about helping with bags and noted there was no luggage cart available (strange for such a large place) but as we came in the door he did assist. We talked with another couple with a dog who said they received a dog blanket and bowl and a large suite like room with a sitting area. Overall the room was cute and very B&B. Bathroom was barely big enough for one person. Honestly advertising that yellowed plastic tub as a jetted tub is a stretch. I guess technically it is a jetted tub but I wouldn't brag about it. We dined in the 301 restaurant that evening. Our server Troy was just a doll. Cared so much about our experience. The wine list is off the charts great and had some of our favorites. The meal was terrible. Maybe the kitchen had an off night. We had three appetizers and a main course - all strange smoky flavor and had varying temperatures (by design) that were offputting. The entree was so bad we sent it back (only 3rd time in my life) to the kitchen. Troy was so wonderful - he made a real attempt to subsitute the entree with another so we wouldn't go hungry. When we declined he removed one of the appetizers and the entree from our bill. The full hot breakfast the next morning was great - so again maybe an off night? The buffet in the morning is high quality and has a nice variety. Check out was very different from check-in. The clerk was friendly and chatty and asked about our stay. He was concerned when I told him about our experience - just "meh" - and went to get a bowl and blanket for the dog. Just thought that was nice. Maybe we'll try again when we are in town again using the information that we learned during our stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BluemoonSanFrancisco
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Arrived the day before Thanksgiving for two nights. Rooms were immaculate and cozy. Gas fires, 200 count thread sheets (at least). Very helpful staff, great two-course breakfast. May return to Eureka just to stay there again.

Room Tip: Pick one of the three Victorian homes. Nice kitchens and sitting rooms in addition to a terrific b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tom F
Atlanta
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We spent only one night at the Inn but we must say that we loved it and would go back! Our room was lovely and the bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed the dinner and breakfast that we had at the restaurant. I really have no negatives at all about this inn. Eureka is a quirky little town but that added to the charm.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is easy to find because it's just off Hwy 101, however this also means there's quite a bit of traffic noise. The location is great as far as strolling about Old Town. The staff are very welcoming and helpful. We enjoyed our stay, but we would have slept better if the room had been quieter (Rm 210). In fairness I should say that when we mentioned the noise to a staff member, she offered to put us in a different room, but we didn't take her up on the offer as we suspected the other rooms would be equally noisy.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple